Land of the Giants

ABC (ended 1970)

Gislef

Land of the Giants Fan Reviews (8)

7.4
  • Brave New World?

Land Of The Giants, a Sci-Fi series about a group of survivors of a crashed sub-orbital flight that somehow found itself in a wold populated by giants.

This was Irwin Allen's last Sci-Fi series for TV that was on ABC for just 2 seasons. The stories revolve around the crew's attempt to restore their damaged craft & try to return to their own dimension while evading hazards like giant animals, curious giant children & of course, a pursuing agent of a secret police organization known as Inspector Kobrick.

This show didn't get as much attention as Allen's previous effort, Lost In Space but at least it is nice to know that a few devoted viewers actually remember this forlorn series. I managed to see 1 episode back in the 90's when it was briefly run on USA Network on cable TV & it was interesting, to say the least.

Not all Sci-Fi series needed high-tech effects & exaggerated violence just to make it worthwhile & Land Of The Giants is proof of that.
  • great show the special effects are very well done for a show from the late 60's and early 70's

one of my favorites i watch it as much as i can
    i have the episodes from Sci Fi and the Columbia House. seeing it uncut for the first time in years the show is much better now. one of the best i feel. its hard to pick a favorite here they are all good.
  • I remember this so well

I was 10 years old when I watched it, loved it so much, this was the show that created a love of Sci-fi for me.
  • Spaceship arrives in a planet that pretty much resembles the earth zoomed 10X

There is nothing much i can say about this show because it has been a while since i last watched it. One thing i do remember that it was always the same story basically; the guys start in the middle of some kind of problem in which they are about to be devoured, destroyed or killed by some alien that obviously looks just like a human, then they fight the whole episode trying to escape or trapped and in the end, magically, they manage to escape. Other than that, this show is incredible, the special effects are still nice and the acting is good.
  • Worthy TV Series With Decent Special Effects

I'm not a big fan of everything Irwin Allen created, but Land of the Giants has got to be up there with the majority of the greatest Sci-Fi shows ever. Using the best special effects the Sixties could create, the series convinced me that giants existed, and that women were a lot hotter when they were twenty to fifty feet high (shades of Allison Hayes and Dorothy Provine). Although the series had more than a passing resemblence to Lost In Space, particularly in Fitzhugh's friendship with the boy Barry, and the Spindrift's resemblence to the Jupitar II, the show made up for it with incredible sets, decent effects and convincing story lines. The only fault I can find is the certain limited imagination in the scripts, but they were certainly confined in what they could do with the available special effects of the series and the short run of the series! Would that this series was made today, I could come up with several episode suggestions.
  • It's good, and fun to watch.

7.9
    "Land of the Giants" is a great show for family entertainment. You have to keep in mind that the show was made in the late '60's, so the special effects aren't great by todays standards. "Land of the Giants" is alot more real to me than "Lost in Space" or "The Time Tunnel" because there was more interaction between the characters. By that I mean the shipwrecked passengers of the "Spindrift" actually got in arguments, something of a rarity on other Irwin Allen shows. "Land of the Giants" is very much like "Lost in Space", both shows centered around crashed spaceships and strange aliens, but "Land of the Giants" has great actors and didn't become so campy as "Lost in Space" did in its 2nd and 3rd seasons.
  • People who dislike this show are missing the point.

Shows such as this were never meant to be taken seriously. They were totally tongue-in-cheek and were not meant to be deep shows with some universal message.

The show was about a US spaceship-the Spindrift-which went through some kind of space warp and ended up in a world identical to Earth-the only difference being that everything was much much bigger. The crew was led by Captain Steve Burton and they tried in vain to fix their ship and evade giant people and giant animals.

It was a great show. Like other Irwin Allen shows, the heroes were always out of their depth. Minature people against giants-fantastic idea. Don't expect anything deep when watching this-just a damn fine show.
  • This show was amazing and set years before it's time. The special effects may not be great, but the stories and acting are spectacular and make up for the rest.

I remember being hooked to this show as a youngster, watching the repeats with my parents every sunday. I hadn't seen it for years, but I had never forgotten 'Land Of The Giants.'
    I recently bought all 51 episodes on dvd and all the memories came rushing back.
    Courageous captain Steve in his red jumpsuit, old reliable co-pilot Dan, scientific genious Mark, flirtatious vixen Valerie, stewardess Betty, eleven year old Barry, canine companion Chipper, the evil Inspector Cobeck and of course who could forget the bumbling, cowardly, loveable, german, scoundrel Fitzhugh.
    The characters alone make good TV, but throw in some action packed scripts and you have yourself a masterpiece.
    The only flaw in this Irwin Allen epic, was the lack of continuation or development of characters. Perhaps a cliffhanger at the end of an episode would have been nice or to see cast favorites Valerie and Mark fall madly in love for one another.
    Overall though 'Land Of The Giants' should go down as a piece of history.