Las Vegas

Centennial

Aired Unknown May 23, 2005 on NBC

• With what simply was a goodbye to every character on the show, 'Las Vegas' proved once again it does season finales like no other.

There where the previous episode was boring and forgetful, 'Centennial' kicks off with a short but memorable history of the city itself. Seeing the crew together listening to stories of an old man is as nostalgic as this episode gets, because before we know it, trouble has infiltrated everyone's life. The episode focused a lot on Nessa, giving this last-in-line character the spot light she deserved. Though her send-off was quit sudden and unresolved (much like the exit of Cox two years later), it was nice to see Thompson being able to show off her talent for once. The scenes between Nessa and Ed through out the episode reflected the charm of the show; dramatic and sometimes emotional, but always light-hearted and entertaining enough to rise above the soap-level. While it was fun to see Bon Jovi and some football legend playing tricks on each other back and forth, having Knight over to sing the final heartwarming song was the eye-catcher of the evening. The episode built perfectly up to the very end (which may have been dreaded out too long), but it came to a nice open ending. Sam showing her true emotions and love for the Montecito and it's staff was endearing, and underappreciated by the time limit, Ed running/speed walking after his daughter(s) took a plane to London was pretty exciting too. But having Danny's dad dying suddenly, not short after we said goodbye to Luis, was just plain shocking. Not to mention we'll always miss out on the Danny/Mary love that never came to be. Basically everyone had left the Montecito, including Mike who was to go off with his aunt on the road, except for Danny, who obviously had other stuff going on, so when the final seconds came up and the legendary hotel was blown to pieces (which for 2005 was some awesome CGI work, I must say) we were all left with a hole in our stomach of how this show could ever reprise. Luckily it did for a little while, because we got to enjoy much more goodness that was this show, and for three more times, Gary Scott Thompson treated us with huge cliffhangers that were done so big, that better viewed shows could learn a thing or twelve from him.