Las Vegas

I Could Eat a Horse

Aired Unknown Jan 04, 2008 on NBC

• Loaded with allusions to the actors' real lives/relationships.

This episode was a pleasant and refreshing surprise. Danny and Mike ventured out of Las Vegas for a little adventure in Wyoming. It's during this trip that we find that Cooper's Wyoming neighbors REALLY hate him. Of course, we don't learn why, building the mystery that is AJ Cooper. We also learn that self-proclaimed horse expert Mike is allergic to horses and anything equine-related. James Lesure delivers some fine physical comedy when he's rendered unconscious by a horse's tail. What better accompanying music than The Statler Brothers' "Older Women Make Beautiful Lovers" when local beauty Libby straddles Mike to administer a shot of epinephrine?

Meanwhile back at the casino . . . Sam pulls double duty consoling Piper over an on-and-off again relationship with singer William (JC Chasez) and running interference for a chubby chasing whale and his newly svelte girlfriend. Delinda takes her turn handing the tissues to weeping Piper between interviews with new chefs. Mercifully, in this episode Delinda did something besides whine and nag Danny. She held the line against a pushy sushi chef and finally settled for "John from Toledo," a self-taught chef who could whip up some mean risotto. I suspect we'll see John again in the future, or at least I hope so--there's some potential material for Delinda grooming the eager and untested but talented chef. But the writers really scored by weaving subtle allusions to the stars' private lives into the details of the plot and dialogue. Danny, in particular, delivers numerous references to Josh Duhamel's home state and relationship with Fergie. Those little winks and nods turn television watching into an active pass time for viewers. More episodes like this one are likely to keep Las Vegas on the network's radar, provided, of course, the writers strike ever ends!