Last Man Standing Forums

Friday 8:00 PM on ABCIn Season

Quality Sitcom TV is Back

bits1bytes2

[1]Dec 5, 2011
    • level: 7

No gimmicks, no stupid story lines, just a man and his family. I love this show, I miss shows like this, and now we have one again.

I am not saying these things because I live in Denver and I think that this ismodeledafter Sports Authority (headquartered in Englewood, CO). I am glad Tim Allen is back on TV and doing his thing.

The show has a great cast, a story line that is real, and obvious situations that will make you laugh out loud.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Amazon_Hollow

[2]Dec 6, 2011
    • level: 8

I totally agree with you...

Family Sitcoms use more of their imagination ideas, with parents, children, neighbors, jobs and school. And now i think about it, Family Sitcoms is whole alot better than Couple Sitcoms. And Couple Sitcoms is now starting to get very old & tireing after while or so. It's the same old story after another all about Guy & Woman dating.

Oh, man! I miss Family Sitcoms for the longest time. I miss all the times the whole cast/characters have fun together.

- Having - Family Vacation - Such as Disney World or Land, for a example

- Having - Family Time Out - Such as Bowling, for a example

- Having - Holiday Specials Episodes - Such as Halloween & Christmas and Thinksgiving

I am so glad they bought back the Family Sitcom sylte. It has been along time we've seen a great hit family sitcom in years.

And yeah, Last Man Standing is great Family Sitcom show in along time. I am really living/loving right now... Oh, yeah.. Tim Allen still has it all like always and very great trasted actor as well. And for everybody else rest of the cast/characters... Wow! They're very great trasted preformers very likeble.

Well, Last Man Standing & Tim Allen isn't the very first return the Family Sitcom sylte base back to Tv. Melissa Joan Hart & Joey Lawerene were the first ones return the Family Sitcom sylte base back to Tv. It's on ABC Family called Melissa & Joey! But it's actually a Summer Program, not a fall program really.

drudager

[3]Dec 6, 2011
    • level: 13
    You know if this show is really thrive in the ratings, they need to get it on Wednesday nights, preferably right after "The Middle" and before "Modern Family". It would be the perfect transition show.

Just_Jos

[4]Dec 7, 2011
    • level: 11

drudager wrote:
    You know if this show is really thrive in the ratings, they need to get it on Wednesday nights, preferably right after "The Middle" and before "Modern Family". It would be the perfect transition show.

That would be OK, I guess, But "Last Man Standing" is a GREAT 8:00 show. It is definitely not a coincidence that "Home Improvement" also had that same time slot, when it was ABC, too. If anything ABC is definitely prepping "Last Man Standing" to be the anchor for the rumored TGIF revival in 2012. Since there is also news that both Mandy Moore and Ashley Tisdale are both doing comedy pilots for ABC.

rustbuckets4

[5]Dec 8, 2011
    • level: 2

I agree with you all. Best show out there. It is just like Home improvement!

Just_Jos

[6]Dec 8, 2011
    • level: 11

rustbuckets4 wrote:

I agree with you all. Best show out there. It is just like Home improvement!

Not "just like" but a show that "Home Improvement"/Tim Allen fans will like.

maxandcali

[7]Dec 10, 2011
    • level: 5

Um, actually, I don't know where some of you guys have been, but abc had it's return breakout of family sitcoms in '09. I agree that this show is a really great one too, but so is "The Middle". "The Middle" first broadcast and launched in september of '09. In "The Middle", it has and features working class/middle class, a working class/middle class family in the mid-west, working/middle class life in general and in the 2000's/2010's, and mid-western features.

It has realistic feartues in to family life, parent and kid relationships, sibling relationships, married couple relationships and marriages, and family relationships. It has a mixed gender duo of sons and daughters, with mixtures of thier similarites and also differences with their own different personalities, different tastes, likeings and interests. It really does often have something and a character for everyone out there pretty much. And those aspects right there are realistic ones that often a lot of us out there can always either alike or similarly enough relate to, rather we're upper-class, uper middle class, middle class, middle/working class, lower-class, etc, these are often realistic family aspects we can often relate to regardless of class.

There's often a character for everyone from the Heck's and that they can identify with and relate to. True, it does not necesarly mean that any of us are exacly like them 100 percent for all things, but we can still find similarities we have with them as well as differences.

They also right in the secondary spots feature other characters as well, like some of the kids' friends, neighbor friends and work friends, other family members and relatives of the heck's, etc.

All in all, that is all a great combo to have in a family sitcom. It's not the only formula to it, but is one of many great formulas to have for a great combo in a family sitcom.

And for abc, this has been a great breakthrough comeback for them. Back in the days before "Roseanne" and "Home Improvement" came out, they had the sitcoms like the seavers in "Growing Pains", with perfect lives, it probably could have been better if some things were done differently, and while there were some realisticserious and important topics featured and addressed, there were still others that were left out and ignored.

Then later, "Roseanne" launced in '88, "Home Improvement" launched two years later in '91, and you can't forget "The Wonder Years", which launched in the late '80's. From the late "80's through much of the 90's, they had great runs with great family shows, great characters, realistic story lines and situations, etc. [ I would not count the TGIF shows like "Boy Meets World" and others in that block that were too cheesy]. But they did have those other great ones on week nights.

Then, as I can recall, by the early 2000's, shortly after "Roseanne" and "Home Improvement" finshed off from their last seasons and finalies, such quality family shows were lacked of on thier network for most of the decade of the 2000's.

There were shows like "According to Jim", which was a cute funny show, but it did aslo have a lot of rather odd or weird story lines. Though there were some that were better than others, and even some kind of realistic ones, but the realism would keep dwindling when they would tend to over exagerate, making it some what stretched. By the later 2000's, it had started to jump the shark.

Now, abc has been developing great come backs over the last couple of yearswith great family sitcoms with not only this show, "Last Man Standing", but also "The Middle". I serously strongly recommend and urge everyone here to tune in for "The Middle" as well, which is on Wednesday nights at 8:00, even record it or dvr it if you have to. It is also one of the greatest, most awsome shows out right now as well.

pudgebyrd722

[8]Dec 11, 2011
    • level: 51
    I just watched the Christmas episode. Loved it. I'm going to start recording this series on my DVR.

drudager

[9]Dec 21, 2011
    • level: 13

This is just a general comment. I'm finding that after repeated viewings, this show is starting to come off as a bit "silly" and a bit thin. Once the novelty and newness wears off, I'm finding noticing a bit of some throwaway gags and lines, like when they had the community watch meeting in the family room and somebody mentioned the word "school", one of the daughters said "I forgot to go to school today!"

How does one *forget* to go to school! You do/did it every single day! If at that age you don't have an instinctual routine down pat... Anyways, I'm just noticing some corny jokes like that. This show still has a long way to go before it even comes close to touching "Home Improvement". Right now this is basically teetering on "Bob Saget TheWB-sitcom vehicle"-esque.