Last Man Standing Forums

Friday 8:00 PM on ABCBetween Seasons

Someone needs to get over it allready, republicans lost.

MagicalMeow

[1]Nov 27, 2012
    • level: 2

I quite liked the first season, it wasn't fantastic or anything but it was at least funny. I've given up after episode 2 of this new season. The replacement actress is a horrible choice, and the kid is SERIOUSLY annoying (and suddenly aged a few years??).

The politics stuff is just dull, the writers where obviously republican and by the middle of episode two I turned it off.

It's not even like they are making fun of a person that acts like this (or if they are, they are doing it badly).

I know that with American sitcoms, some of them can be overly... American. But there are ones that are really great. This was decent on the first season... why infest it with this nonsense?

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Just_Jos

[2]Dec 17, 2012
    • level: 11

I actually find the political stuff funny, to be honest. They are too many shows these days that are too politically correct, nice to see ''Last Man Standing'' being different. Seven episodes in, I don't mind the changes anymore. I'm actually enjoying this season a lot more than season 1, which I didn't think was possible.

silvioStrippers

[3]Dec 21, 2012
    • level: 6
    I hate the replacement daughter also. And the father of her bastard son is the most annoying of all! Who decided to write his part in is beyond me! Hate the political BS every episode! Tim Allen has conservative views. They dont need to counter his every view every minute! Its annoying!

modernfamily120

[4]Jan 7, 2013
    • level: 20

I wonder if the people who wrote this are very Democratic and they are making fun of Republicans (not doing so well at it though)

fanboy34

[5]Jan 30, 2013
    • level: 11

modernfamily120 wrote:

I wonder if the people who wrote this are very Democratic and they are making fun of Republicans (not doing so well at it though)

I honestly have no idea anymore. My first guess was essentially what you are thinking too but, if so, they've done it so badly that it's kid of backfiring. Certainly none of it makes consistent sense.

Other shows have used the lampoon effect with characters like Hank Hill but it was done gently enough that the character still had a sympathetic side for any viewer. Even the classic Archie Bunker spouted his nonsense but remained a real human being we could identify with. Mike Baxter WAS in season one a university educated man with strong views on things and now he's become a one dimensional cartoon version of whichever kind of intolerant curmudgeon the new writer wants to roast in a particular story each week. At least it seems that way. There's still the possibility that somebody thinks he's actually being a great role model for advancing their views.

The funny thing is people from opposite ends of the U.S. political spectrum will watch the same episode and applaud and laugh for opposite reasons. Some will laugh AT him and their opposites will cheer WITH him, however, the majority in the middle will just shake their collective heads that the guy from last year wouldn't have done that - at all. Mike Baxter the family sitcom father figure with a refreshing attitude has been HIJACKED and replaced by a puppet of someone with an agenda.

It's too bad because Mike Baxter from last season had kind of grown on me. Not being a Tim Allen or Home Improvement fan, that was quite the accomplishment really.

tirebiter2

[6]Jan 23, 2014
    • level: 4
    modernfamily120 wrote:

I doubt it. The "All About Eve" episode was a nonstop stream of debunked Fox News talking points with no rebuttal, combined with an endless rant against EVERY form of government revenue with no mention of the services provided to the people, OR that we're actually living in the least taxed era in well over a century.

For example, even though crude oil prices are relatively flat at 2008 levels, gas is $3.50 to $4.00 a gallon, and oil companies are making their biggest profits EVER (and that's saying a lot), this show has the gall to complain about a $0.22 per gallon tax. And without caring why that tax is necessary. Otherwise it railed against so-called "sin taxes", which by definition are set high. Even so, $0.60 per liter of liquor isn't very high either. Of course, this episode equated traffic tickets to taxation, which is purely a libertarian rant and is totally fallacious.

As many other people are noting, the first season used "Baxter's" conservative views as subplot devices. Now it is the singular focus of the episode, without a single response to the libelous attacks on specific people or the progressive movement in general.