last of the summer wine

seanwilkins

[1]May 21, 2006
    • level: 23
    i think last of the summer wine is still ok but has not got much of cleggy in the show now and alvin is replacing cleggy and billy has replaced compo and bill owen's son tom is not in the series as much now
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

seanwilkins

[2]May 21, 2006
    • level: 23
    i like the last of the summer wine on a sunder night

clineburg1

[3]Feb 15, 2007
    • level: 2
    Last of the summer wine is my absolute favorite show. I have purchased every dvd available but I still haven't seen many of the shows. Any suggestions?

grizly-sword

[4]Feb 22, 2007
    • level: 4
    clineburg1 wrote:
    Last of the summer wine is my absolute favorite show. I have purchased every dvd available but I still haven't seen many of the shows. Any suggestions?

Watch it on Tv ????????????????????

needsfixing

[5]Mar 19, 2007
    • level: 1

sean - I agree with you. I was a massive fan of LOTSW in the days of Foggy, Compo and Clegg, Edie and Wesley etc but think it is terrible now. No, Cleggy isn't in the show much anymore, but as he is 86, that's hardly surprising! How many people are still working at his age? Personally, I think the show should have ended when Bill Owen died as it just hasn't been the same since then and the new characters such as Alvin, Entwistle and that soppy woman who works in the library (can't remember her name as I rarely watch LOTSW now) are awful I think - also, Barry and Glenda are just way OTT now. The last few series have been far too formulaic, repetitive and totally unfunny.

clineburg - do you have satellite? The UKTV Gold and Drama channels show most of the old episodes in the daytime and that's what I watch, not the new episodes on BBC1.

All good things come to an end, and I think that sadly, LOTSW has long passed its shelf-life. JMO!

Edited on 03/19/2007 5:27am

ertsamel

[6]May 27, 2007
    • level: 2

In my corner of the U.S., British TV comedies are aired rather sporadically and usually several years after they were filmed.  Right now, we're seeing LOSW episodes from 2002, I think, and that's like brand new for a BBC comedy series.  The premise of the show and the locations are most appealing.  I haven't seen the earlier episodes featuring Compo, which many fans consider the best of the series, so I'm enjoying the current batch for what it is.  But I'm curious whether a new series is under way or in the works.  The fan web site emanating from Holmfirth announces a new series will be aired soon in England but not whether more episodes will be filmed.  The BBC web site is no help, either.  

I get attached to some of the performers, but I've come to accept that the older ones, such as those on LOSW, have either retired or died since their series were filmed.  So I don't know whether I'm watching an ongoing series or an historical document.  Hard to imagine a comedy series surviving much longer than 30 years, isn't it?

crazygirl184

[7]Jul 10, 2008
    • level: 6
    I have watched Last of the summer wine for a few years and I have also noticed that Clegg is not in it as much. I love watching the show every Sunday and they always get into something interesting.

AgentAlbertross

[8]Nov 9, 2009
    • level: 7
    Last Of The Summer Wine was only good from Season 1-8 after that it got too silly and then in later seasons it played out like a soap opera with too many characters. It really didn't relate to what the pilot show was all about - retired men remenising about their youth while acting like children to relieve their bordom, yet still retaining their adult pursuits of drinking beer, smoking and in the case of Compo Betting.
    Edited on 11/09/2009 10:45am
    Edited 2 total times.

dingfod

[9]Jan 16, 2010

I love 'Last of the Summer Wine'. It's so well planned, written and crafted that it looks like it was EZ to do. It's not, especially something this continually unique. Clearly, much time and love went into this great little series.

I think I saw one or two episodes with Compo present and yes, he sure did spice the situations up. I personally don't see how it's going to go on much further. When Truelove, Nora Barry and Alvin are gone it's hard to imagine the show continuing. I think it would be a good idea to have as much of the complete series as possible.

WHAT I WANT TO KNOW IS - Where can I get the design for the big black crow costumes they wore during an odd cross-county trek?? The crow costumes were great.

dingfod

[10]Jan 16, 2010
    Oops, I meant 'Nora Batty'. Sorry.

usedtobefangle

[11]Sep 13, 2010
    • level: 10
    I miss it so much - I've grown up with it can't wait for the repeats