Last of the Summer Wine

BBC (ended 2010)

RoxieVelma

Last of the Summer Wine Fan Reviews (18)

7.9
  • Last Of The Summer Goats,On Wine

Last of the summer wine should have goats,eating the grass,in the background. Very Funny

• I think I laughed more when I had my tonsils out...

If you think old men falling over, rolling down hills in bathtubs, getting chased by dogs/cows/ferrets etc is funny, then this will be right up your street. However, if you're older than eight you may not find this very funny.
  • Indy Girl

I think if you didn't like this show- then stay the hell off this site...turn your channel to another show that would please you more. Your opinion doesn't mean much on a site that is dedicated to LOTSW.
  • Glad to see it end-Last of the Summer Wine-PLZ!

A truly boring-boring show with few redeaming values least of which was Compo-Foggy

A tiring lazy man that made a poor image of older men as lazy and somewhat stupid .

Even worse was playing women as bitchy and demanding.

What a piece of crap as a show!!

No wonder were all considering destroying our TV sets!

R McMillan
  • Can a sitcom go on for 35 years and more?

Where I live in the U.S., it's July 2009, and PBS is showing and reshowing LOTSW episodes from 2005. If I were to tune into the show for the first time this week, I'd find its little plots or subplots unoriginal and too numerous, providing no overall story arc for the episode. I'd probably not tune in again.

But, as we know, the show has ardent supporters in England and the U.S. who decry any suggestion that the BBC will cancel it. I tend to believe that most of this support stems from recollections of earlier seasons, which concentrated on the misadvenures of three duffers at loose ends in the lovely Yorkshire countryside and the leisurely town of what is actually Holmfirth -- the duffers were played by Bill Owen, Peter Sallis, and Brian Wilde. When introduced in 1973 and for several seasons thereafter, the show was unusual in its nostalgic concept, enhanced by the charm of the natural setting. I even began to regard the images of the three duffers enjoying their innocent adventures in this timeless and even idyllic place as Roy Clarke's idea of what heaven should be. And along the way, Bill Owen developed his character, Compo, into a unique and lovable individual.

Now, after 35 years, the show has become a case study in whether a sitcom can go on indefinitely. It's problem for the last several years is in replacing the beloved stars who die or retire -- after all, they began the show when they were in their late 50s or older. So far, no totally adequate substitutes have been found for Bill Owen and Brian Wilde, at least in the minds of most who remember those two performers. Another original, Kathy Staff, passed away in 2008, and Peter Sallis and Frank Thornton, who replaced Brian Wilde, are no longer insurable for exterior scenes.

Another difficulty is that various characters added to the cast in recent seasons do not enhance the show's original simple premise. Mostly they engage in hackneyed henpecked-husband farce. Most of the satisfaction I get from watching nowadays comes from noting favorite performers from past British comedies who are finding some extended life in LOTSW. And, of course, Roy Clarke is aging along with everyone else. Besides the physical toll exacted by time, writing a show that requires revisiting the same sets of characters, situations, and locations week after week for 35 years surely must strain the imagination.
  • The Best Comedy programme 'on the box', so to speak!

Last of the Summer Wine is 'The' comedy programme. If every comedy programme was like it, this world would be perfect. The first few series, mainly the ones with Cyril Blamire, weren't that funny. The next few series, which saw Foggy Dewhurst apper, were a lot funnier. My favourite episode, Here we go again into the Wiuld Blue Yonder, is contained in it. Then there were the series with Seymour Utterthwaite in them. I don't think these were as funny, but still rather funny. Then, there was the return of Foggy dewhirst. The next few series were, in my eyes, the best. Then, Foggy left and Truly arrived. I think that the series has declined form hilarity since then. Having not seen the episodes leading to and after Compo died, I haven't much to say about them. The 2007 series wasn't bad. Norman Clegg looks like he ought to retire as he looks very aged, thogh it wolud be a shame to lose the only original character from the trio. Over all, a very funny show, reaching it's peak between 1990 & 1997 when Brian Wilde returned to the series.
  • Classic British Character Comedy.

At it's best (see the feature length episode 'Getting Sam Home' from 1983 as an example) this is a classic British sitcom along the lines of Dad's Army & Steptoe and Son. Watch the 'Foggy' years for the best episodes. Brian Wilde as Foggy was the perfect leader of this wayward trio. The glorious English landscapes and music just add to the charm of this BBC classic. It may be a bit long in the tooth these days, with most of the original cast now departed, but there are enough classic episodes out there of the hundreds that have been made to savour ....
  • Last of the Summer Wine has been over time the adventure of an ever changing trio of elderly chaps and their adventures in and around the village of Holmfirth. The scenery is probably the best and never changing parts of the programme.

As a person getting on in years I can identify with the chaps in Last of the Summer Wine. Most often a combination of Clegg and Compo ... grin ... The storylines may be a little simplistic and repititious at times but the characters, including the oh so wonderful scenery more than make up for it. I equate Last of the Summer in Wine with comfprt food and when ill would rather curl up in bed and watch episode after episode over doing anything else. I know Last of the Summer Wine won't be around forever but thank goodness for the ever so many reruns.
  • Simple comedy that we love to watch!

I started watching the show a few years ago, although I don't know how it came about. I discovered a love for the show, it is a simple comedy about the lives of old people. I know, I know it sounds boring, but it shows the part of their lives that we dont see. If you compare our lives to seasons, you would generally say that the best part of you life is the summer of your life, and for these oldies they are experiencing the summer of their lives, running around like they were still young. For example Howard is married, but is terrified of his wife. He also sneaks around having an affair with his girlfriend, Marina. He thinks he is getting away with it, but his acts are not done very subtle as it is known by everyone EVEN his wife. I love watching their random acts and strange ideas which make me want to come back for more. I just think its a shame it is not appreciated more by others.
  • Three retired old guys try to find things to fill their day.

The best three main characters were Compo, Clegg, and Foggy. This is when the writing was best, too. Foggy thought himself the best-trained killing machine of the Army, but he always proved himself wrong. Don't miss "Wheelies" and "Come in Sunray Major", these episodes are the kind that stand out for this period. The early version with Bates was too talky, but the pilot episode had promise and if they had followed the first episode with more of the same, things might have been different. Episodes with Seymore Utterthwaite were often unfunny, he was simply a blowhard professor, and the Truly episodes were just a tired attempt at bringing back the Foggy mystique. I am glad they still find an audience 30-something years later, but it can't be the same show without Compo and Foggy, Clegg's character was strongest in the early episodes and later was mostly an adjunct for Compo and Foggy/Seymour/Truly.
  • still one of the best shows on tv. sadly we've lost a few cast members but there's still enought to turn out the laughs.

this great british comedy takes a good poke at life,rural life,age,battle of the sexes and how growing old doesn't mean you stop.
    it's gentle with the odd punch in the guts.
    it can be sad at times as with the death of compo episode.
    the gradual giving more time to the women worked and proved a huge hit with viewers.
    well written in a traditional way which sadly is so lacking in some new comedies.

looking at the cast i didn't see kathy staff in the top list.
    can't believe on her credits nobody mentioned her big part as doris luke in crossroads.(tried clicking on the contribute part but just got redirected to the main page).
  • The best all around comedy

I believe last of the summer wine to be the very best comedy worldwide.
    it gives me so much joy to be able to watch it on PBS here in the USA.
    I'd have to buy the whole set if i couldn't watch it on.
    It is just like the rocking est show around.
    anyone no matter age group could dig this show.
    it has all the parts that make a show worth while.
    the whole cast is ace number one.
    the directing and writing my mister Roy Clarke rocks my world.
    all I can say is I love this show!
    The old guys on this show wander about like three young boys into everything.
  • Britain's longest running sit-com and you can see why.

This has got to be one of the funniest shows on british TV today... I do hope the Americans get it even if they might not understand some of the jokes but just to have a show like this lasting as long as it has (33 years to date) I really don't think there has been another sit-com or even show that has really lasted this long and I just hope that it lasts another 33 years... Every sunday I will sit down with my dinner and watch a new episode (Whenever one is aired) and just laugh a lot...
  • Three aging friends can't seem to get a handle on their retirement years. They are boys in old men's bodies, living in a small town in which being a little bonkers is commonplace.

I imagine this show is almost painful for anyone under the age of 40 to watch. It moves slowly forward, plotting its course to some ineveitable disaster, perhaps forseen, but not fully graspable until the whole of its particular madness is manifest.
    Usually the show has only one big laugh out loud moment, with the bits preceeding it merely a rising tide working its way up the coast. What makes it work is the attention to character detail and action, in combination with circustances. It has been said that the funniest moments are those disasters which arise from a perfectly logical progression of innocent decisions. Every episode I've seen of "Last of the Summer Wine" has put that theory to the test. Some episodes are no doubt more successful than others, but I promise you, that if you allow yourself time to get to know these characters, you will eventually feel welcome and warmed by the familiarity and humor they display.

• Last Of The Summer Wine

This is one of the best long running comedys in BBC history. It is really funny you have three old men messing around all the time which is real funny. This show had gone through a lot of changes over the years with a number of deaths of cast members but this show is still a classic.
  • Widely said to have jumped the shark many series back, the occasional episode of LotSW from early or late is still a delight.

Last of the Summer Wine ran for an ashtonishing 29 years, from a single-episode "playhouse" presentation which was picked up as a series in 1972, to a peaceful death at home in bed in 2001.

During this time, several friendly faces have come and gone, Blamire, Foggy Dewhurst, Seymore Utterthwaite, back to Foggy, with Compo and Clegg as mainstay, but performances chiseled into history with characters such as Nora Batty, Sid and Ivy, Ely (shades of Mr Magoo!)... And over the years, it has often been said, the novelty wore off and the plot ideas started to resemble one another.

But I think on reflection, the point is missed. The plot is utterly co-incidental. Whilst UK-Gold running a dozen episodes back to back can be a bit much of a good thing, a single episode, from any time in the life of the show, never *fails* to cheer up a dreary day, or round off a good one.

Ignore the plot. It'll be silly. You'll notice even the early show plots were silly. The joy is the dialogue. Despite fantatic performances from all the players, for me the absolute lead start of LotSW is Roy Clark and his superb scripts.

So ignore the family saying "not that old thing again", ignore the daft situation they've contrived for Compo, put your feet up and just enjoy the chat.
  • How grown men and women aren't very far from their teens, no matter their chronological age!

I like Last Of The Summer Wine because it shows me a future I'd like to think I could have. No, not necessarily in the English countryside, but one with good friends, goofy adventures, and plenty of good-natured ribbing!

Some bits get tiresome, but overall a sweet comedy that I'd recommend to almost anyone!
  • it is so funny

i like last of the summer wine and i have been to the coutry where they have filimed the show and i have been in compos house and sids cafe it is really great the set because you go where they have filmed the series right up to date with the show