Last Resort Forums

ABC (ended 2013)

101 "Captain" - Discussion Thread (Series Premiere!)

Nickylucas

[1]Sep 10, 2012
    • level: 23

This show is looking pretty nice so far. The Pilot...ehm...Captain, not Pilot, was made available online today by ABC. Looks like it's going to be a nice new thriller series. Really looking forward to this! What did you all think?

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

g33z3r

[2]Sep 11, 2012
    • level: 1

I haven't had a chance to watch it yet but it sounds very good... got to be better than seaquest eh?

More importantly I just hope these moron network execs drag their arses into the modern era and embrace the web more, not just as a delivery platform BUT MOST IMPORTANTLY viewing figures. Otherwise I'll be posting again when we get to mid-season and it's frickin cancelled for the wrong reasons! grrrr!

Kromdale

[3]Sep 11, 2012
    • level: 4

There is a link on this site to watch the pilot from yahoo i think and maybe ABCs website.

antdude

[4]Sep 12, 2012
    • level: 27
    Does this series any action scenes?

Nickylucas

[5]Sep 17, 2012
    • level: 23

It has an interesting plot, interesting characters, some big explosions, and good production value. If by "action scenes" you mean gun fights every 2 seconds, no. But there is some good action with the submarine as it dodges attacks. But honestly, if you watch a TV show for action scenes only that's just sad. Really said. Go watch a war movie.

Kromdale

[6]Sep 18, 2012

Pros (too few)

Autumn Reeser in her underwear.

Navy seal guy at the Bar confronting the gang.

Survivor Island Navy style.

Cons (too many)

Missiles- A) What is the purpose of an early warning system if the missiles hit their target in under a min? When did missiles fly so fast lol. It was like watching a game of missile command. That missile popped onto their radar screen and under 10 sec the first one hit and under 30 the 2nd one hit. Just enough time for the guy to ask "shouldnt we warn someone" and her reply "there is no time".

Nuclear Detonations. Nuclear detonations by their nature dont usually produce near misses. But its TV I guess so it was a friendlier nuclear detonation so the sub was just given a love tap. No radiation and no wrath of god shockwave. Guess thats why they gave up on depth charges.

Self-Destruct systems. Ok my friends all believe we have self-destruct systems built into our missles. Im doubtful but lets say they are right. IF they are, what the hell is the point of the show. Wouldnt you think the US goverment would have those self destruct codess!!!! So why would this sub be a threat to the US. If i was that guy on the phone, instead of saying "you wouldnt dare" I would say "self-destruct in 3, 2, 1 Sorry you lose".

Nuclear Detonations (part 2). The whole point of firing the missile at Washington was to show the cabal that he would be playing hardball with them. By failing to self destruct, he just proved to them the missile was never aimed at Washington in the first place and thus the Captain WAS bluffing. Also there are no safe detonations of a nuclear device. So what if it was 200 miles off shore. Any planes flying overhead, any shipping near explosion and all the nice irradiated fish are not going to be happy campers. No idea on range of EMP so no idea if that would be a problem.

bobster_bsas

[7]Sep 18, 2012
    • level: 12

"You're thinking too much", the ABC executive said Wink

Seriously, the show is more or less ok, especially considering how dreadful the last attemps of a serialized drama like this have been (flash forward, the event, terra nova, and even the new show Revolution)

I know they went too far with the nuclear detonation, and i don't know about the self destruct system (but just for the sake of it, let's say they exist, but only the sub has them, so the effect would be the same).

And the thing about the missiles speed, it was for increasing the suspense, even if they knew about them half an hour before they hit, could the submarine have dodged them or fire back at them? i don't think so.

Even with this "cons" i think is a very watchable show, with good potential for a solid first season (but i don't know how much farther, though).

If one can pass this lack of realism -which, let's face it, its needed to be done with almost every show/movie- it's gonna be a fun ride, or at least i hope so.

rickvega

[8]Sep 20, 2012
    • level: 8

Ok just finished seeing the Pilot, interesting have to watch more but so far so good yes there are some inconsistencies as to how fast those missiles reached their targets, also if we have the capability to shoot down missiles why did the Government not act and launch its anti missile rockets to destroy the missile that the sub launched???

Hope the story for this show continues and works because a lot of great shows only last 1 maybe 2 seasons and dont get the chance to continue with their story the last show I liked from ABC that got cancelled and I felt it had promised was V, dont get me wrong there are a bunch of good shows on air and most are coming back within days.

moobear

[9]Sep 20, 2012
    • level: 1
    I'm not sure if I'm understanding this correctly, but it's my understanding that they didn't send a nuke after the sub when it failed to deploy it's ICBMs, that would of drawn way to much attention, while a lone rocket being fired into the ocean isn't going to light up the world's radar while a nuclear detonation would, and the reason they didn't have a lot of time for emergency deep was because it was fired from a close location....the ship it was headed to for medical assistance for the SEAL team.

The captain was making a point to the whole world, they're a rogue nuclear carrying boat and by detonating off the coast, but underwater there would be no mistaking that cloud formation, while keeping people safe, after all we have detonated a lot of nukes underwater with ships nearby in tests.

The self destruct feature, we can go back and forth on that, but they did say it was passing over, what was it Indiana, anyways a high altitude detonation of a nuke will still have fallout and depending on a variety of factors that's how we get an EMP and that could lead to all sorts of consequences, so maybe they were calling the captain's bluff, but then decided not to press it, by calling back the bombers.

I'm looking forward to the show, I doubt my brother who was stationed on a similar boat will be watching, but for someone who knows a little about life on a boomer and enjoys a tight, suspenseful, action show, I think I'll enjoy it.

Kromdale

[10]Sep 21, 2012

Re watched it and your right, i assumed since we still fired 2 nuclear missiles at Pakistan that the reason we could give was they used one on our Sub. Not like it seems like the cabal is shy about throwing around nuclear missiles to do their bidding. Did they really think one tomahawk with a conventional warhead really had a decent chance of sinking the sub?

You think Bush got a bad rap for Invading Iraq, thats nothing. I assumed they would use this "sinking with a nuke" of the Colorado to justify their nuking of Pakistan. In the shows news clips, you got the idea Congress was trying to Impeach the President for something. How about for firing two nuclear missiles at an allied(yeah they arnt that great of an ally) nation without an obvious imminent threat. World opinion about the US should just be glowing (pun) about now.

As far as the self destruct, the Capt was perfectly willing to self destruct ONE sec before the bombers turned back. So whatever damage it might have caused was obviously less then letting it crash into the ocean and detonate by the Captains thinking. If it was safe to let it detonate off shore, then why was the Capt going to self destruct it in the first place? As far as why the government would not self destruct, no matter what damage it did over Indiana, the Captain was threatening Washington. Dont you think in self interest (I mean these are evil selfish cabal guys who just nuked Pakistan to cover up whatever they did) that they wouldnt give a care a detonate it if they could.

As far as the Sub action, I think we have seen the last of that. Its going to be Jungle Navy Survivor TV show on the island of San Marina(or whatever island is called). Ex-US Navy vs the evil Drug Lord Tribe and the outsider Tribe.

Edited on 09/22/2012 8:41am

DeathAngel2323

[11]Sep 28, 2012
    • level: 6

Yeeha! I haven't posted on here for years, but hopefully this show will be the next Prison Break/Lost/24/Jericho, only maybe it won't fail like Lost, Prison Break and Jericho did.

I've yet to see the first episode but I have high hopes.

Come on Baby! :-D

KingofIPirates

[12]Sep 28, 2012
    • level: 32
    Thought it was fairly entertaining, looking forward to future episodes.

chestrix

[14]Sep 29, 2012
    • level: 3
    Good start, but a nuclear explosion even in the water has great consequences.

Also, at the end of the Crimson Tide movie, it was mentioned that the President has the final control of activating nuclear missile. I wonder if that is true.

danharr

[16]Sep 30, 2012
    • level: 45

Love the amateur military experts on the mighty internet... Anyway the action was great, the acting, was great and I love to see where this is going. Hopefully island gangster will get his soon and caps statements about leaving it all. Could it mask some other motivation for his actions and with all the internal strife we should have some great conflicts coming.

ummhaniyyah

[18]Oct 1, 2012

Your points are all quite valid. A lot about the show doesn't make real sense but that doesn't make it any less watchable if you are able to suspend disbelief and watch it on the level of a story.

I'd add to your points that it would effect everyone's life if nuclear weapons hit Karachi and Islamabad (that's what the targets onscreen looked like to me). Wind and water would carry the radiation worldwide (the Indian Ocean island where the crew is hold up would not be immune) -- India which shares a water supply with Pakistan would be in deep trouble. Not to mention who would be on high alert because of the strike (China? N. Korea?)...

Anyway, for me an enjoyable show doesn't always mean a realistic one. I love Person of Interest for example, though there is a lot that's implausible about the show (for example, that the Machine's coverage is at least nation-wide and yet, so far Reese and Finch have barely left NYC).

ummhaniyyah

[19]Oct 1, 2012

Jason57892 wrote:
    Missiles can't bedetected on radar due to the low flight path. This was used in the two gulf wars to great effect. Yes the missiles do not fly anywhere near as fat as they did on the screens. That was silly. They did it to make it give it suspence. Missiles do have abort codes. Been in place since the 1950's in case they go astray. If a missile fired from a US ship went wrong and was heading to a US area then their own command centre would punch in the codes to self destruct the missile longbefore it got to its target. To explain that they could have stated that they re programmed it with new codes but that is near impossible for any sub to do anyway so not really relevant. Some missiles have cameras on them which shows a live feed on the progress of the missile. You may haveseen a few of these in both the gulf wars where they would show a live feed of a missile honing in on the target. I expect this show to fail due to many watching it over the net rather than watching it when it goes to air. Its why Alcatraz, flash forward, the event and so many similar shows have failed in recent times. They ought to have placement ads and ads on a download area like they do on youtube to get advertising revenue but they are all a bit clueless in the new world of the internet.

Did you understand the new cloaking system that the lobbyist lady put on the sub? I wondered if that has anything to do with what the sub was able to pull off.

I agree with you about revenue streams. I don't think the powers that be have come to terms with the fact that a lot of people watch their "TV" online now.