Last Resort Forums

ABC (ended 2013)

Cancelled, and none too soon.

tvcricket

[1]Jan 7, 2013
    • level: 3

Well, the show has finally been cancelled, and it's no wonder. The writers apparently had one thought, what would happen if a nuclear submarine with the power to wipe out most of the planet went rogue? Nothing bad with the concept, but then they fell short to create a plausible scenario and properly develop the story. Instead, we are left with spaghetti plot inconsistencies that insult viewer's intelligence (assuming fans of this show are as such).

The purpose of protocol on a nuclear ballistic submarine is to follow orders and fire without hesitation once the correct codes are provided. This is the reason POTUS (President of the United States) carries what's referred to as "The Football" (missile launch codes) everywhere he goes. Imagine what could happen if a confirmed nuclear ICBM from North Korea is in flight to a US target and an order to fireon enemy launch sites is disobeyed simply because the crew is not sure what's going on and has second thoughts about starting WWIII.

Of course, the show is poor fiction and may be appealing to some. My exception is to the blatant anti-American theme; the tag line being "Honor in Defiance" as if it would be acceptable as patriotic for an officer to disobey firing orders. The U.S. government is portrayed as corrupt at the highest levels, with only the mutineers standing against them. In later episodes, even communist China is painted as a reasonable, benevolent country offering needed supplies, seemingly in exchange for nothing. When the Chinese envoy offers the captain a board game as a gift, the captain comments "Chess is more my game", to which the envoy replies "Chess is a game where you destroy your enemy, my game is to gain territory with minimum losses". In yet another exchange the captain; "I swore an oath to my country, not necessarily my government", with the envoy replying "One reflects on the other".

Indeed, the show gets more ridiculous with every episode; the nuclear explosion from the missile launched in the first episode detonating in the water "200" miles east of Washington DC and clearly visible from the ground in New York, over the horizon and 200 miles away. By the way, there are more than 100 miles from DC to the Atlantic Ocean, with Delaware in between. The launch key getting stolen, a Chinese envoys offering assistance, members of the seal team sneaking out of the island (and then return) in order to rescue a wife held in the Philippines, floggings, the local island thugs torturingofficers with little consequence.... I could go on and on.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

jdh

[2]Jan 23, 2013
    • level: 1

Whilst i enjoyed your piece i didn't agree with all of it. Yes it is a far from perfect show, but i trust if it had the network's backing it could have gone much further.

However, you ruin your piece by having most of your criticisms of it being anti American. 1, In the show they imply a rouge element to the government 2, they didn't fire on orders because they came through improper channels 3, why does America have to be 'good' all the time when they blatantly are not in real life. It is so nice to see this refreshing portrayal on tv.... i/o the usual go America go garbage...

China are not evil people and can be 'the good guy' even though their input is much shadier than you seem to have caught on to.

Anyway, yes you are right, there are many problems with the show, but it's perceived anti Americanism isn't one of the. Thanks

JDintheOC

[3]Jan 25, 2013
    • level: 3

Well, this show finally got what it deserved...the deep six. I'm ex-Navy, and I can honestly say that whomever was writing the scripts for this show had no clue as to how far from reality they were. The only reason I ever watched was when I felt the need for a good laugh. Then I couldn't reach the remote fast enough.

webe123

[4]Jan 31, 2013
    • level: 4

jdh wrote:
    . 1, In the show they imply a rouge element to the government 2, they didn't fire on orders because they came through improper channels 3, why does America have to be 'good' all the time when they blatantly are not in real life. It is so nice to see this refreshing portrayal on tv.... i/o the usual go America go garbage...

Sorry but your COMPLETE CRAP about America somehow being corrupt like this show portrays shows just how biased you are!

1. No, in the show the PRESIDENT OF THE US IS CORRUPT! Get your facts straight! They portrayed the US in a bad light and China in a good light. Something that did not sit well with americans. Forget the FACT of the chinese student that got ran over by a chinese tank in Tiananmen Square! But I guess to some one like you.... you seem to overlook that fact!

2. A nuclear submarine does NOT HAVE improper channels that orders go through! That is all hollywood crap! Just goes to show how little you know about submarine warfare. And yes, they would have launched if they were given orders to do so!

3. There YOU go with your idiotic anti-American attituide! I guess a country that runs over people with tanks is better than the US? I will not say America does not have it's share of problems, but when people like you think this show is actually a GOOD thing? That is simply idiotic. Go to China if you don't already live there and see for yourself how "great" it is! Until then, keep your mouth shut about America!

And I am glad it got cancelled! It was laughable from the start.

Edited on 01/31/2013 1:04am
    Edited 2 total times.

dif_frent

[5]Feb 19, 2013
    • level: 8

Wow! What a discussion! It starts with some illogical statements, and some vary bad journalism as in this statement, "Of course, the show is poor fiction and may be appealing to some." Then some bad English as in this snippet "...as if it would be acceptable..." (I'm not a native English speaker, so I shouldn't be judging this.). Then we have quite a logical reply. Points one and two are pretty right, but point three obviously aiming at getting on nerves of American viewers. Not being either American or Chinese, I'd say jdh went too far, but well this is a forum for civilised people, so in my opinion jdh had the right to voice his views in point three, although I do not agree with him. Then two emotional replies. So emotional that webe123 says in his point one exactly the same thing jdh says without noticing it. It is funny that in an American forum you can read that someone should go to and live in China, or that the "show got what it had deserved". If you don't like it, switch your tv off and do not watch all the episodes. What a masochism it must have been to sit and watch all the episodes, webe123! However, not to me. I did enjoy the show. Cheers.