Late Night with Conan O'Brien

Dolly Parton, Molly Sims

Aired Weekdays 12:35 AM Oct 14, 2005 on NBC

• "I loved to be with you, you're fun!" - Dolly Parton, to Conan

Comedy on this episode was a bit too much of a hit and miss to me. The Celine Dion pic was funny as hell, and the same goes for the straight face of the "yankee" Uncle Sam, but really, it didn't do much for me. But the interviews...ah, those were what really made this episode good. You can think what you want about Dolly Parton (as an Italian, I have no bias at all since my knowledge of country music is almost zero, and to me Dolly is certainly not the familiar pop culture icon that it is for an American audience), but you can't say that interview with her was boring. Some of the things she said can't accused of being original, AT ALL, but come on: she was very likeable and very charismatic in her laid back, candid attitude.
    The following one was equally entertaining: it's not the first time you have to listen to a story about a stupid, skimpy costume, but, as often happens during this show, the mundane activities narrated in the interview contained enough wacky, perplexing stuff to keep you interested.

Overall, I wasn't quite fond of the pure "comedy" segments, but the interviews were interesting enough to give the episode a big thumb up.