A Message From Your New Editor

HelloStuart

[1]Aug 19, 2006
    • level: 63

Hi everyone,

My name is Stu and I just want to say that it is a great pleasure to become the new editor for the Late Night with David Letterman episode guide here at TV.com.  I certainly hope I can address any questions you might have, and I hope you'll be more than willing to submit much-needed information into the guide.

The first thing on my agenda as show editor is to clean up the guide.  A fair-sized portion of the guide is not in chronological order and I plan on correcting that.  Some episodes also lack guest-star information, and I hope to solve that situation as well.

Thank you and enjoy the show.

-HelloStuart

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Blake14220

[2]Oct 9, 2006
    • level: 1
    Hello.  I had a letter written on Letterman's show in 1985 or 1986.  The only thing I remember is that Michael Spinks was one of the guests that night.  Do you have any idea how I can track when the episode took place. I'd like to purchase it. Thank you for your help.  mike

HelloStuart

[3]Oct 14, 2006
    According to the episode guide, Spinks has appeared on Letterman once, on June 26, 1987 with fellow guests Martin Short and Suzanne Vega.

Unfortunately, I don't know where one would find a recording of that broadcast.

AprilFox

[4]Nov 7, 2006
    • level: 109
    Hi Stu, that's great there are alot of holes aren't there, Im about to upload a video with David Letterman interviewing Robin Williams from either late 1983 or early 1984 (before April) he's on the show promoting his new movie Moscow on the Hudson but I don't know the original airdate of the interview only that David mentions that it will be released in April. Good luck with the guide! If you need any extra info pm me.

HelloStuart

[5]Nov 8, 2006
    AprilFox wrote:
    Hi Stu, that's great there are a lot of holes aren't there, I'm about to upload a video with David Letterman interviewing Robin Williams from either late 1983 or early 1984 (before April) he's on the show promoting his new movie Moscow on the Hudson but I don't know the original airdate of the interview only that David mentions that it will be released in April. Good luck with the guide! If you need any extra info pm me.

Thank you. Did you consider talking to Donz5 about that particular Williams appearance?

pashotshot

[6]Jul 25, 2008
    • level: 15
    I'm wondering, when did the designers of the old NBC auditorium changed the auditorium? I'm thinking it was in 1989, and I'm taking about when they changed from the dark-looking sky, lots of buildings and a rectangular window to a blue-looking sky, less buildings, and a more rounder-looking window. I noticed they also changed the wall behind where Paul Shaffer plays his keyboard.

HelloStuart

[7]Oct 19, 2008
    pashotshot wrote:
    I'm wondering, when did the designers of the old NBC auditorium changed the auditorium? I'm thinking it was in 1989, and I'm taking about when they changed from the dark-looking sky, lots of buildings and a rectangular window to a blue-looking sky, less buildings, and a more rounder-looking window. I noticed they also changed the wall behind where Paul Shaffer plays his keyboard.

The Late Night stage was redesigned three times, in 1984, 1986, and 1989. The early-90s behind the scenes drama with NBC prevented Dave from making any other changes before leaving for CBS.

pashotshot

[8]Jan 17, 2009
    WOW! Thanks for the information.

rich_love

[9]Jan 27, 2009
    I have the episode with Martin Short and Michael Spinx on tape. I've been uploading a bunch of letterman stuff to my youtube channel and I hope to get to this episode soon... I will post the link when its up.

rich_love

[10]Jan 31, 2009
    Blake, I uploaded the viewer mail segment to youtube- but unfortunately the video quality is pretty terrible. Hopefully this has your letter:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XqIL-zJTZmo

pashotshot

[11]Mar 22, 2009
    It says it's private.

jaynemocker

[12]Mar 31, 2010

Looking for a copy of the episode that follows the morning show, Had B.B.King on it, I believe the writers were on strike. There seems to be a void in your guide list

I think this is the one

Season 4, Episode 15 – Aired: 2/28/1985

Show #0522

Is It available to watch or download or for sale on DVD?

rich_love

[13]Apr 7, 2011
    Well 2 years later, I fixed the link!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XqIL-zJTZmo

This is viewer mail from 6/26/87... bad video quality but watchable.

Enjoy

Blake14220

[14]Sep 14, 2011

hey Rich and Stu,

thank you both for your efforts. i went through the 6/26/87 show with Michael Spinks and the letter wasn't read on that show. I remember Michael Spinks was a guest and I was in 7th or 8th grade. It would have been in the spring of 85 or 86'. It would have been on a Thursday night. They actually ran the show a year later as a repeat. I checked the archives and there are many shows where the guests were unknown. I just thought it would be cool to show my friends on FB. The letter was about a "cable guy" turning off the cable at my house.

If you hear of someone that has all the old NBC shows on tape, please let me know. Thanks again.

Blake14220

[15]Sep 14, 2011
    I was looking at the old episode list. I noticed that on 4/4/85, Leon Spinks was listed as a guest (it was also a Thursday and there was viewer mail that night). People would often confuse Leon with his brother Michael. I'm hoping that is what happened here. This could be the episode I am looking for. season 4, episode 25. Anyone have it?

HelloStuart

[16]Jan 28, 2012
    Blake14220 wrote:
    I was looking at the old episode list. I noticed that on 4/4/85, Leon Spinks was listed as a guest (it was also a Thursday and there was viewer mail that night). People would often confuse Leon with his brother Michael. I'm hoping that is what happened here. This could be the episode I am looking for. season 4, episode 25. Anyone have it?

I don't have any old tapes, sorry.