BETTER CALL DEPUTY BILL 

... FX's Fargo miniseries better be the best damn thing the world has ever seen, considering the talent that's attached to it. And the casting director better win an Emmy for all his or her hard work. Joining Billy Bob Thornton, Martin Freeman, Colin Hanks, Oliver Platt, and Kate Walsh in the adaptation of the Coen Brothers' film are Breaking Bad's Bob Odenkirk and It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia's Glenn Howerton. Odenkirk will play Bill Olson, a Bemidji deputy, and Howerton will play Don Chumph, an ambitious personal trainer. [FX via press release]

BUSINESS TIME

... ABC Family and Fox came out on top in GLAAD's annual survey of LGBT characters and subject matter on television. ABC Family is cable's most-inclusive network, featuring LGBT characters or storylines in 50 percent of its programming; Fox is first among the broadcast neetworks, with 42 percent. But perhaps more important is the fact that for the first time ever, there are an equal number of male and female LGBT characters on TV. The organization's annual reports contain a plethora of information on the 2012-2013 and 2013-2014 TV seasons, and I highly recommend reading them to get the full scope of the current television landscape. P.S. Way to go on renewing The Fosters today, ABC Family. [Variety]

... FX is taking this miniseries thing very seriously. With Fargo already hard at work stockpiling talent, the network is now partnering with Slumdog Millionaire director Danny Boyle for a World War II-set miniseries called Telemark. Also along for the ride are Simon Beaufoy, who wrote the screenplay for Slumdog Millionaire, and Christian Colson, who produced it. The project is based on the true story of Norwegian resistance fighters trained by the British, who sabotaged Adolf Hitler’s nuclear development program. [EW]

... Glee's Cory Monteith tribute episode drew 7.4 million total viewers and received a 2.8 rating. Compared to last week's numbers, those figures reflect gains of 68 and 75 percent, respectively. They do not, however, account for people like me whose DVRs decided to have a panic attack at the mere thought of the sadness they were about to endure and thus only recorded the first minute of "The Quarterback." [TV Line]

... Justin Long is returning to TV in a project that just landed at NBC. The Younger Man, written by Long, his brother Christian, and Graham Wagner (The Office), centers on a happily married man in his 30s as they raise their teenage son. That sounds kind of boring until you find out that the man is more than 10 years younger than his wife and he must constantly deal with his own mother's scorn and the whispers from the community. Nah, it still sounds kind of boring to me. [Deadline]

... Remember when we told you The Simpsons was killing off one of its characters this season? That episode is now being pushed back to air as the Season 26 premiere, and the producers haven't even told the affected actor that his/her character is going to bite it. I hope they just walk around shooting looks of pity at all the cast members, in order to keep them on their toes. I mean, that's what I would do. And every once in awhile I'd say something ominous-sounding, and watch the light slowly fade from their eyes. [EW]

... After receiving nine Emmy nominations for its first season, House of Cards might not live beyond its second season. Executive producer Rick Cleveland was at the Vancouver International Film Festival last week when he mentioned that even though showrunner Beau Williamson would love to continue writing the series, it will likely to conclude with Season 2 on account of stars Kevin Spacey and Robin Wright wanting to work on movies instead. If this clears up space for Justified to finally earn an Emmy nomination, I'm all for it. Get outta here, House of Cards! [Gold Derby]

... Hey producers of Hawaii Five-0, when I sent you my fan fiction, I didn't expect you to make an episode out of it; I just wanted you to show it to Scott Caan! Between now and October 31, fans of the series can log on to the show's website and vote on different options for six key story points of an upcoming episode, including the scene of the crime, the victim, the murder weapon, the evidence, the suspect, and the takedown. The series will shoot the fan-built episode in early 2014. So basically it's like playing Clue backwards, but with Scott Caan. [CBS via press release]

... Holy crap, guys, MTV is trying to be relevant in music again! Okay, okay it'd be more like music-adjacent, I guess. The network has ordered a singing competition series from Mike Fleiss, the creator of The BachelorCopycat is a half-hour show in which contestants try their hardest to sound like their favorite artist. They're judged by the studio audience instead of a panel of hoity-toity judges who know something about music. [Variety]

... Jimmy Fallon is dedicating an entire week to Pearl Jam to celebrate the October 15 release of the band's new album "Lightning Bolt." From October 21 to October 25, Late Night will feature various musical guests who will perform a specially selected song from the band’s expansive discography. This isn't nearly as cool as that one time Craig Ferguson dedicated an entire week to Doctor Who. [NBC via press release]

CASTING NEWS

... Watch out, lady nerds, Michiel Huisman (Nashville), who was recently cast on Game of Thrones as the new Daario Naharis, has wrangled a guest-spot on Orphan Black. He'll recur as Cal Morrison, a rugged outdoorsman whose emotional depth might surprise you. Also joining the BBC America series are Nikita's Peter Outerbridge as Henrik "Hank" Johanssen, a modern-day cowboy with a flock of followers (cult?), and Ari Millen (Rookie Blue, Nikita) as Mark, one of Johanssen's aforementioned "flock." [TV Line]

... Meg Ryan is returning to TV in an NBC sitcom from Marc Lawrence (Miss Congeniality). The single-camera comedy centers on a happy, non-confrontational single mom who wants to return to her former job as an editor at a New York publishing house. But when she goes back, she's not so thrilled to learn that she now reports to a younger woman who used to be her intern. [Deadline]

... Chris Elliott is dropping by Hot in Cleveland to play Betty White's new laid-back boyfriend Luke. I suppose there are worse things to be in life. [E! Online]

... Sandra Bernhard (Roseanne, The L Word) is has joined ABC Family's critically acclaimed series Switched at Birth in a recurring role. She'll play Teresa Lubarsky, "a groovy art professor at a local college where Bay (Vanessa Marano) is taking classes." [ABC Family via press release] 

... Victoria Justice is going from iCarly to Eye Candy. Even *I* hate myself for making that joke, but it's Friday so let's just move past it. The former Victorious star will headline the MTV pilot based on the R.L. Stine novel of the same name. It's a cyber thriller about a hacker whose blog routinely exposes everything from terrorist plots to murderers, but she's also described as a reclusive person so it's not exactly clear how any of this makes any sense. [TV Line]

REQUIRED READING

... Benedict Cumberbatch broke the internet today when he did a Reddit AMA. My favorite question asked whether Cumberbatch, Matt Smith, and Tom Hiddleston have cheekbone-polishing parties. Speaking of people with nice cheekbones, I would like to add Daniel Sharman from Teen Wolf to that group, because obviously. [The Daily Dot]

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 2/7/2014

Season 6 : Episode 25

58 Comments
Follow this Show
Members