Late Show with David Letterman

Weekdays 11:35 PM on CBS Premiered Aug 30, 1993 In Season

HelloStuart

User Score: 20272

Late Show with David Letterman Fan Reviews (77)

• Take a pass on the Letterman show when visiting New York City

They show a video before the show starts that tells you to laugh even when a joke isn't funny. They weren't funny. I think I laughed once during the whole show. Their announcer, Alan Kolter is a class act and the only really funny guy on the show. Check out his celebrity interviews on youtube. Very funny stuff. The band is great too. If you have a VIP pass hide it. The pages and security are rude and unfriendly if you have a VIP pass. Also, they will seat you in the last row. You can't see the stage from back their so you have to watch the show on the overhead TV monitors. I can do that in my living room. We made a charitable donation for tickets and got treated like dirt. The pages are a bunch of little trolls.
  • Can't leave soon enough

Letterman is irrelevant to just about every TV viewer. He has grown too old and bitter. Without George Bush to make fun of he has no real material. He's alienated older viewers with his ultra liberal and mean spirited rants and now he's lost the younger viewers due to his lack of talent and inability to compete effectively with Jimmy Fallon. I hope Fallon stays focused on great entertainment and keeps his personal political point of view out of his show. CBS has to be counting the days till Dave finally retires. If he doesn't get out soon NBC is going to have a lock on Late Night for decades and CBS won't be able to even come close.
  • way to go Dave!

just got myself one of those new hi def TV's... wow what a difference... I noticed years before there seemed to be some sort of sasquatch or bigfoot meandering across your set background... now with my new set there is a flash that crosses the set before you appear... incredible! and the floor of your set is as blue as the Mediterranean... Great show!!... Classic!... going to miss you, the stunts, the guests, the gags and the pets! enjoy your life and family! wish I got this TV sooner...
  • Retirement Perfection - extremely well timed - Forum wouldn't let me rate it 10?

Dave,

I used to be a go getter, musician, etc. I also use to watch late night shows. No offense to any of the shows but I guess I grew out of them. I happened to catch the retirement show. It has often passed through my mind, as in Mr. Carson's case and others, how could they do it night after night. Comedy is a hard, hard way to make a living. You retired perfectly. Congratulations, happy for you! This was hard to write. Rate it. I rated it ten. Title too short. I added a few more words. Invalid, put your score in. Yikes!
  • Long overdue stick a fork in Letterman 2

I agree whole heartedly with the original stick a fork. I watch the local CBS affiliate here in Houston but change the channel immediately when Letterman comes on. I am surprised that CBS allows him to vent his political views. He is obviously a left winger of the highest magnitude. I think most of the main stream media is left leaning as well. Strange how Hollywood used to contain some of the most patriotic people in the country. My how times have changed. Jay Leno at least made jokes about both parties. We will see if NBC makes Fallon follow the Letterman style. A lot of the jokes Letterman used about/against Romney were some of the most tasteless ones I have ever imagined would be allowed to be aired!
  • He's

David is boring! He shows not an ounce of interest or enthusiasm in his guest appearing on his does his job only (definitely not his homework).
  • guest Kevin hart

I have been watching you forever. However, I have never heard you tell Robin Williams that he talks to much as you did with Kevin Hart. That wouldn't be because Kevin is a young rising black star, I'm sure. Being loud and funny is what got him where is is today. Try watching The Crazy Ones on your channel, and then tell me who is loud and talks a lot. .
  • mostly not funny

Most of the jokes are not funny

• Long overdue to stick a fork in Letterman 'cause he's more than done...

Really Dave? It's 2014 and you're still using George W Bush for your monologue fodder? You're as relevant as wagon wheels these days. If you weren't such a shill for the left, you'd be using the mountains of comedic material you could extract from our CURRENT disastrous administration.
  • not funny at all

The humor isn't there. I could see someone age 80+ liking it but nothing is funny about this boring show. Tonight Shows ratings have got to be 10 times higher than this snoozefest.
  • Commercials

This show has way too many commercials seriously great show but the network needs to stop with so many commercials.
  • 1000th episode

I have a wrist watch from the show stating on the face LATE SHOW 1000. Anyone know of how many of these were made? And is it worth anything?
  • REALLY, DAVE??

Not a Catholic, but the jokes about the Pope needs to cease. Not funny.
  • Late at night, a lot of intelligence

Letterman is the best in talking show business, both in smart good humor and general ideas.

The only thing that makes me sad seeing this show is to realize that in my country, Brazil, we'll never see so much freedom of expression, regrettably.
  • Dave is Betterman

Letterman and his entourage are better than the others, with the possible exception of Colbert.
  • Billy Cristol

I have watched this show on and off for 30 years and I loved Billy Cristol also. I was shocked to see the episode tonight with the picture of Romney with a Hitler mustache. Whether I like Romney or not I think this is not funny. I am not Mormon, but am a Christian. Cristol is Jewish and an idiot apparently. There are many people who watch this show and it should show some integrity and respect for the man who is willing to take on this mess of the President of the United States. Obama is much closer to a Nazi than Romney will ever be. I will be watching Leno now and David Letterman has disappointed me hugely. If you love this Country you have a very poor way of showing it. Read "The Amatuer" and learn.
  • Show Over

What was once an entertaining show has now lost its appeal. Dave comes off as an angry, mean old man. His Bush Bashing is over the top, get over it, and his politics are boring, and his disgraceful remarks should be kept to himself. If he loses this show, he can BLAME IT ON LETTERMAN!
  • Monologue's the best

I love Dave's monologues, mostly written by Bill Scheft.

Here's a GREAT YOUTUBE video interview with Scheft.....

• Horrbile

has Dave and his writers had stroke i have not watched in a while and his HORRIBLE.
  • Alan Kalter

Please get rid of him and his ridiculous joking. He is just plain foolish, not funny.
  • Letterman has lost it big time

David Letterman is almost unbearable to watch anymore. If his beating a failed joke into the ground wasn't painful enough to watch, now I gotta watch him act like a liberal nut job too?!? Republicans are evil, I get that. But his thinking that the democratic party is the next best thing to sliced bread is down right delusional. If there is a hell, I'm quite sure it will be filled with both parties. I'm sorry, but unlike what David Letterman wants us all to believe, Obama is no where close to walking on water.

Letterman stopped being cutting edge decades ago. The fraise "crotchety old man" comes to mind.

I also can't get over the fact that he can rip apart someone that gets busted for having an affair, but when he gets caught its a different story. Total hypocrite.

I gave The Late Show with David Letterman a 2. I would have givin it a 3, but watching him and Billy Crystal yuck it up over Shirley Temple (a child star that was famous back when dinosaurs roamed the land) jokes proved just how dated and unwatchable it really is.
  • Great show!

You are simply the best :D
  • Letterman desparately needs new material !

I used to like David Letterman. Here of late, his show is more or less only repeats of the same old worn out and tired material. His Romney segments are far beyond being funny anymore, his takes on Gov. Christie are also not funny now, since he shows the same material night after night.....and the band guy, Paul , is annoying and obnoxious with his comments accompanied by a note or two of music.....perhaps it's time for Letterman to retire.
  • Comedian John Caparulo

Just got the cd "Mad Cap". Its over the top funny. My buddies and I are going to see John Caparulo on st patricks day saturday march 17, 2012 at watseka theatre watseka, illinois. Cap is awesome.
  • mr rude review 4.0

hes just a rude democrat lover whenever i watch its cause i'd like to see one of his guests what i would like to see is when bill o'reilly is on he would smack him down real good, with a back hand would be the best way. even his wife loves him after cheating on her and embarassing her on national tv. heck he can't even leave bush alone yet he really did not love #43 review 4.0
  • David Letterman reveals his "ugly-side" in front of the TV.

David Letterman reveals his "ugly-side" in front of the TV, as a bitterly, "frustrated talk-host" favoring democrat's, etc.

Episode: 11/18/2011 with Herman Cain

David Letterman was once the most respected "talk-show-host" on national TV. I used to enjoy everything he said and did because he had a real sense of humor and humorous explanations for a lot of the subjects he talked about. No matter what the case he was the good example for allowing us to interpret ideas being presented that might be complicated, or not well known etc.

David Letterman is a big disappointment. Life is not fair as I never expected to see him fall so rapidly on national TV.

I am so disgusted with his "rude behavior" to Herman Cain. It is the perfect example of an Obama supporter trying to damage one of the tea party candidates trying to improve our life. I am not the person to say, "Herman Cain" is perfect but he deserves respect in front of a national audience. I never saw Letterman insult Clinton like he did Herman Cain?

Shame on you David Letterman. I hope your mother's family did not see you interview Herman Cain. It was a cheap shot, etc.

I clean carpets for a living and would never allow you to do the rude-bash-talking like Herman Cain had to contend with. I would have rebuked you in front of your audience!

It does show us that "Herman Cain" can control himself. He did an excellent job of tempering his thoughts/remarks and it was an obvious time of "repeated attacks" by Letterman.

I recommend everyone "un-friend" David Letterman for his bad, ugly-rude behavior.

Herb L

• Anthony Bourdain rocks. Baez, Kristofferson suck.

I've been a longtime fan of David Letterman. As teenage newlyweds, My husband and I stayed up late to watch him on NBC. But it's hard to remain a loyal fan these days.

Tonight I tuned in with a bit of anticipation because Anthony Bourdain was to be a guest of Dave's.

Dave's interaction with the Melissa McCarthy was ok. He seemed nervous and detached, but polite enough.

But his interview with Anthony Bourdain was a huge disappointment. Promising at first. And then Dave - suddenly and inexplicably - went off on a tangent about the Food Network vs. all the starving people of the world.

News flash for Dave: Anthony Bourdain works for the Travel Channel. Not the Food Network!

Bourdain is an interesting, funny guy. As Dave ranted, Tony sat there and smiled with a puzzled look. Probably thinking, What a jerk! Dave ruined what could have been a great interview. Bourdain totally rocks. And Dave came across as uninformed, whiny, and frankly, idiotic. What a waste!

I miss the days when Dave behaved at least somewhat professional. He enjoyed people, even as he made them cringe. He was always wisecracking and rude. Yet lovable and funny. Nowadays, he's just sour and crabby.

Nowadays if I want a laugh, I watch Anthony Bourdain.

Regarding Joan Baez and Kris Kristofferson... what the heck? Do they need hearing aids? What an embarrassment. At that point, I couldn't take anymore and turned the channel.

• if only dave was doing this show in a retirement home, he could have been funny.

the first few years, this show was cool, now it's not so cool anymore. it's time for dave to retire and give everyone a break from his horrendous daily routine. he's getting old and tired and so is his jokes. i guess cbs wants to milk dave for money so they try to make the most ad dollars out of him before he finally falls flat on his face once he gets a cardiac arrest in a middle of taping. seriously, people like dave shouldn't be hosting any show, he's so rich, america doesn't need to put up with his crap any longer. that's just cruel.
  • David Letterman used to be great. His sarcastic comedy had a bite, but he always had a twinkle in his eye. Sadly, Letterman has lost that twinkle and now comes across as angry and bitter, even crotchety. Still, his show undeniably once was great.

In the 1980s, as a teenager, I loved Letterman. His wit, his sarcasm, his undercutting of all pomp and circumstance. It was just great. I remember quoting his top ten lists to my friends the next at school.

My love for Letterman's early humor makes it that much more painful for me to say ... I just don't find him funny anymore.

Perhaps my comedy tastes changed when I became an adult, I don't know. But nowadays Letterman comes across like a crotchety old man. His sarcastic remarks used to be told with a glint in his eye, but now it just seems mean. The old Letterman clearly loved people, loved America, even if he thought we were a bunch of idiots. We were good idiots who meant well and enjoyed laughing at ourselves.

But in the last 5-10 years, whenever I've watched Letterman ... he seems to genuinely dislike people. That winking glint is gone and has been replaced with an angry scowl. And it's just no fun listening to an angry clown.
  • David letterman is one of the best talk shows hosts of all time.

David Letterman has changed my view on late night television. I use to think that late night television was reapeats of cheesey shows and shows that have a high rating. But Letterman is diffrent. One night I couldn't sleep so I was watching television and I came across David. I thought it was going to be cheesey but I was wrong. I loved it like great moment in presidental speaches our on of the many other of his great segmants. I would put David letterman up there with Rove micmanus who is a great host of any Australian show of all time.

Sean_stole