Laverne & Shirley Forums

ABC (ended 1983)

Laverne without Shirley

ulij20

[1]Jul 28, 2008
    • level: 1
    As almost everyone knows, Shirley left the show in the early 1980s, leaving Laverne to fend for herself. I don't believe I've seen any of these shows, since I was no longer watching the series by 1982, which, I believe, is when it was just Penny Marshall, and when they used to run it on TVLand, they tended to avoid the last two seasons (either that or they ran them on nights I had to work). Were the episodes still funny during those seasons, or was it watered-down, or what?

Also, are these seasons yet on DVD? If so, are they worth purchasing? I've always wondered because I'm a big fan of the show.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

MonicaKeller

[2]Aug 31, 2008
    • level: 5
    So far they only have the first four seasons out on dvd. I think there were 7 seasons all together.

I liked it more with both girls.

Smartboy45

[3]Jun 18, 2014
    • level: 2

ulij20 wrote:
    As almost everyone knows, Shirley left the show in the early 1980s, leaving Laverne to fend for herself. I don't believe I've seen any of these shows, since I was no longer watching the series by 1982, which, I believe, is when it was just Penny Marshall, and when they used to run it on TVLand, they tended to avoid the last two seasons (either that or they ran them on nights I had to work). Were the episodes still funny during those seasons, or was it watered-down, or what?

Also, are these seasons yet on DVD? If so, are they worth purchasing? I've always wondered because I'm a big fan of the show.

In between the time that the last poster responded to you and the present moment, the whole series got put on DVD. I received my copy of the eighth and last season a couple of days ago. I thought that there were still some decent episodes even after Laverne had to carry the show alone. In conclusion, I would like to say that I am curious as to why you stopped watching the show on prime-time by 1982.