Law & Order: Los Angeles

Hollywood

Aired Monday 10:00 PM Sep 29, 2010 on NBC

7.1
  • Law & Order: Los Angeles, or LOLA, to those in the know, is like if the old show met TMZ, and added a lot of sunshine, bright colors, and palm trees. Good-bye East River, hello L.A. River (which is paved with concrete, by the way).

From the promo trailers for Law & Order: Los Angeles, I was anxious to see this show. It looked like it would be a mixture of the Law & Order format, but with lots of gritty L.A. and Hollywood stuff thrown in. TMZ meets L&O. I liked Southland, but haven't seen it since it went to cable, but this could be kind of like that. I went to see Tower of Power at the Kern County Fair in Bakersfield, and TOP put on a longer set than I'd expected from a band who'd been on the road for 43 years. Besides, I had to wait for their encore, "You're Still a Young Man" even though the title was by now bitterly ironic, like The Who doing "My Generation" at the Super Bowl half time. And you can't end a show on a ballad, you just can't, it's a rule, so that meant at least one more of their patented Oakland Soul/Funk blow outs. So, when I did get home, LOLA was half over.

I missed a lot of the good parts that were in the trailer, but what I did see was pretty good. I like Skeet Ulrich, though whenever I hear his name, I think of Lars Ulrich, drummer of Metalica. And really, why would you name a kid Skeet? Skeet shootin'? Mosquitoes? What? His character is named Detective Rex Winters. Hey, if he wrecks winters, imagine what he'll do to summers. Dun Dun. I liked him though, and there was a scene where they visit a top flight photographer who had taken a head shot of a suspect, and she wanted to photograph Rex. He refused, with no interest whatsoever. The photographer said that the fact that he refused made her want to photograph him even more. That says a lot about his character, and I think it will make him oblivious to the temptations that he will encounter, but at some point, maybe he will give in. It is like where there are two characters on a show that flirt but can't quite consummate, and you keep watching wondering when they finally will. Dun Dun. His partner, played by Corey Stoll, is named Detective T.J. Jaruszalski. He is bald and has a big mustache. His father was a famous cinematographer, so he is more of a Hollywood insider who enjoys his job because it is like having a front row center seat at his own private cop show. Dun Dun. Alfred Molina is Deputy DA Ricardo Morales. He will alternate with Terrance Howard. Molina was a lot of fun to watch, he is quite an accomplished actor, with a lot of film credits to his name. Terrance Howard is right up there. I would enjoy either one, and even having them both together on the same episode might just be overkill, like swatting a mosquito with a jack hammer. Dun Dun.

This show was "torn from the headlines," obviously a mixture of the Bling Ring and Lindsay Lohan's troubles. But actually, Lindsay was a victim of the Bling Ring, not an accomplice. And in the television version, her own mother pimps her out (or did I just imagine that? I actually want to watch it again because I thought this was implied and it was the reason that the mom finally copped a plea. I was looking for the recap, but alas, there was none). I realize that the characters on the show are fictional and any resemblance to any persons living or dead is purely coincidental--or is it? Dun Dun.

Looking at the discussion of this show, it seems like a lot of die hard fans are mostly concerned with whether or not this new show will be enough like the old show, which ran for 20 years and tied but didn't break the record set by Gunsmoke, to satisfy their L&O addiction. Like, where are the Dun Dun sounds? And the shot of the cast, striding strong and purposeful into the future, the "hero shot" as some referred to it, in the show's opening? Hey, you know what, I would like them to add that, and I hear they are, but they wanted to make a break at least in the first episodes so people can see that it is a new show, and stop comparing it so much. They'd like the old L&O fans to get on board, but with an open mind. Dun Dun.