Law & Order: Trial by Jury

Baby Boom

Aired Friday 10:00 PM Mar 25, 2005 on NBC

• This episode is the reason I consider Trial by Jury the best of the franchise, even above the latest Law & Order episodes.

The nanny Case. One of the old times favorite, it's a known case and from time to time you can see an episode of any procedural show with that storyline.

So what makes this one better ?

The Lawyer / Writer who came up with the closing argument. I don't remember any closing argument in any series (including law & Order) that was so realistic, so gripping and so heart wrenching. (And I have seen enough real life closing argument to know this is one of the best written).

Bebe Neuwirth makes the best fictional attorney I have seen in recent years and her closing argument makes you picture the murder second by second. That is what is so frightening : the fact I had to see an actor mimicking a nanny shaking a baby for a full 30 seconds to realize how horrendous the act could be. 30 seconds might not be long as a concept but when you see in real time 30 seconds of a baby being shook causing his/her death, you definitely have a better idea what these persons have done.

So my hat to the writer and to Bebe Neuwirth who should get an award for his episode.