Law & Order: UK Forums

Wednesday 9:00 PM on ITVBetween Seasons

finally viewed the first season's worth of episodes

sumdumgoi

[1]Dec 14, 2009
    • level: 5

I am an American who has had a soft spot for anything Law and Order-related, the UK version included and SVU excluded (I just could not get into the unrelenting intensity and little warmth and humor of SVU). I have been watching the L&O UK episodes in drips and draps as they have been irregularly broadcast and even more slowly put on bittorrent--I realize now the Canadian episodes are providing the torrents. Anyway, I have been somewhat disappointed with the blandness of most of the episodes, but the last episode, Honourbound, #13, is a great episode. Although it is a redo of a previous American L&O script, it shows enough individuality to be engaging and the temperature of the characters' emotions has increased significantly. The tension between Det Sergeants Brooks and Devlin is welcome, as well as Devlin's intensity as he suspects Valentine's misdeeds and sets about doggedly to prove them. The predictable old affair between Brooks and his police inspector girlfriend is still touching and the way each cares for the other even now. Contrary to the American version, the old girlfriend is a high-ranking police official who outranks Brooks. I finally like that Devlin and Brooks buried the hatchet at the end and that their friendship is such they welcome each other's company at the conclusion to go and eat together instead of simply shaking hands gravely and parting. This is the first Law and Order UK episode that I feel surpasses its American original. I hope the second season will have similar passion and fire and hope also to see more of the female police inspector, at least to know what happened to her and her family.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Placebo_obecalP

[2]Mar 4, 2010
    • level: 13
    Paragraphs are your friend

I'd disagree that it's bland, I just think UK television does things in a far more subtle way than other television around the world, the Aussie show City Homicide is another one that some consider bland but I think is a cracking show due to the subtlety in which it tells a story.

For L&O UK I just wish that 1. they stop screwing around with the scheduling and 2. they start writing original stories, I've watched every single L&O ever aired and pretty much every UK episode has been familiar to me in one way or another.

Now it'd be good to find out if there are more episodes to season 2 or if that's it, 6 and we're stuck waiting another year or so.......

Placebo_obecalP

[3]Mar 4, 2010
    • level: 13
    I should add that what you consider as episode 13 of season one is technically episode 6 of season two because that's the crappy way that ITV have shown it in the UK.

rphjose

[4]Mar 28, 2010
    • level: 4
    Another vote here for different stories, since I've already seen the US versions I lose interest when I know how it's going to end.

Dewbak75

[5]Sep 13, 2010
    • level: 18

I don't mind the revamping of stories from the US edition of the show, personally. They've picked some of the real classics, and done them well. Law & Order has always had the feel of a stage play(especially the 2nd half of the episode), so watching these is kinda like watching a new production of a classic play or opera.