Law & Order: Criminal Intent

A Person of Interest

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM May 18, 2003 on USA

• Detective Goren is accused of instigating the supposed suicide of a murder suspect, but the plot unravels, as many fine CI plots do, to reveal a completely different, more sinister suspect.

Although I've been a fan of CI for years, I somehow managed to not see this episode until tonight. I saw Nicole Wallace's dramatic entrance to the series, and saw her weighted exit, but "Person of Interest" is the real meat behind the story of the hero and his anti-thesis. I believe I caught this one at the perfect moment, already in love with the character of Robert Goren and always eager for the infrequent insights into his past, and understanding much of his attraction/revulsion for Nicole. If anything, this episode made me respect Nicole even more, for her calculative, so-far infallible shrewdness...absolutely the perfect foil for Goren. This episode was riddled with nail-biting, heart-wrenching scenes...more of the real Robert Goren than anything before or since. Emotion, from a strange angle of human perspective.
MNT