Law & Order: Criminal Intent

Anti-Thesis

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM Oct 13, 2002 on USA

• Anti-Thesis is a cleverly plotted story/episode. It has many twists, turns, and shocking discoveries. There are many suspects and many fingers to point at. But one thing that deceives us is the beautiful and charming Elizabeth Hitchens, who is really Nico

6.1
    Anti-Thesis was an amazing episode in my opinion. It kept me guessing and left me in awe. It\'s one of my favorites, though I love all the episodes, but this one was quite the shocker. An innocent looking woman, who has a deep secret to conceal from the world around her. She\'s smart, cunning, and clever. First, it seems she loves Mark, but later you see that she doesn\'t want anything to do with him. Just use him as her little puppet. You then see that she gives an affectionate kiss to Christine, and now you know that there is something going on and that she has to be part of it. The interrogation scene is quite intense. Goren tries to prove that she is not Elizabeth Hitchens, but the evil Nicole Wallace. He says, \"If you really are Elizabeth Hitchens, just tell me the educational foundation in Melbourne! Look I don\'t have it in my papers.\" But she\'s so clever and so smart that she turns the tables and starts asking him the questions, personal questions. Like, \"Tell me Robert. How often do you get up to the Carmel Ridge Center?\" And, \"How old were you when you first realized it?\" But he\'s smart enough to know when to stop. This is one of best episodes. The ending let\'s us know that she\'ll be back with more evil tricks and twists.
  • .. a favorite quote-

this is the episode I imagine I hear 'Bobby' state who he is.. "the dogged unrelenting pursuit of evil." and then the fascinating-like-a-snake Nicole's retort, "man's unrelenting pursuit of his own potency", so revealing- goodness vs power/evil, right there. in the air- between them. (Moby Dick as mini-Rorscharch test..) before they even know what they're individually capable of. this quote is also why I feel 'Bobby Goren' is more akin to Sir Galahad (!) than to Sherlock Holmes: Holmes has a breadth of knowledge that astounds.. but he is detached; not moved by outrage, compassion, love of his fellow human being. Watson is Holmes' humane bridge to the world.. but Goren is more than a quirky, far-reaching, probing mind. he proves himself incorruptible- and (doggedly, unrelentingly) driven to pursue evil. (I am not a t.v. watcher but am renting this series, disc by disc, hungrily, from Netflix and enjoying the hell out of it!)

• What starts out to be a murder of a University President turns into a brilliant cat and mouse game between Goren and a women from Australia posing as a Literature Professor from Oxford, England. The twist is who is she the professor or the crook or both.

Brilliant episode which follows the regular path many episodes take but in this case changes mid-stream into a game of psychological wits between a female killer and Goren.

In a momentous ending sequence the women trades notes one on one with Goren in the interrogation room. Right when Goren feels he has got her she gets release on a rit of habeas corpus and disappears at the completion of the episode.

Finally someone truly worthy of Goren's intellect to cross swords with. This women possibly was responsible for the multiple murders of seven men in Thailand, taking the identity of another person in Australia, and then finally the murder of the perpetrator of the murder of the University President and then the killer himself.

The question now is whether we will ever see Goren cross paths with this women again in the future. She was obviously intrigued with Goren as much as he was with her. The scenes between the two were sparkling almost. She is obviously a disturbed person but at the same time she has a photographic memory. Nicole Wallace played by Olivia d'Abo is terrific and hopefully we'll see her again in the future. I really enjoyed this episode and it was great fun. Thanks for reading...
  • It buttered my parsnips

The introduction of the beautiful Nicole Wallace/Elizabeth Hitchens in the form of Olivia D'Abo. Surely she's too young and innocent to be behind the brutal murders of university personnel?

It's a well-written character, though she is a tad far fetched in her abilities to seduce just about anyone or anything. The story itself doesn't seem to matter that much, and I was slightly confused actually as to why all this murder was necessary. It's all about getting Nicole and Bobby at loggerheads, and the two actors do play nicely off each other, though Ms D'Abo's talents are not extensive by any means. I think we've fallen again for the 'speaks with an English accent therefore can play an evil b*tch' syndrome.

As an Englishman, I have to say I have never ever heard anyone use the 'wouldn't butter your parsnips' phrase, but it's a goodie and I wouldn't be surprised if it passed into the language eventually!
  • The murders of a university president and his assistant lead the detectives to a visitng professor who turns out to be an evil 'international' criminal.

A labyrinthian plot, but since the setting was the Ivory Tower, it was fitting. Some stereotypical, but germ-of-truth charcterization in the near breakdown doctoral candidate, gradually losing it as the dissertation drags on - five extensions/ten years, LOL! Hell on earth is spelled A-B-D.

And of course, the ex-radical, charismatic prof. threatening lawsuit if he's not promoted.
    De rigeur for any look into academia.

The visiting professor Elizabteth Hitchens was somewhat more intriguing, if merely because she's not a frump. Pretty enough to initally bring out the little boy in Bobby, (D'Onofrio's patented smile-scowl-blush-sulk-pout-smile flirtation syndrome) until she turns out to be, err, Nicole Wallace.

"The big detective is smart" says Nicole, and sure enough, he busts her accent, relationship with the unfortunate 'idiot' PH D candidate, shot at a permanent position and tenure, sexual relationship with new female chair, real identity and past crimes, and of course, current misdeeds, including the peanut oil based offing of the misguided dissertationist - well, at least he avoided his defense.

I'd call that "smart".

Bobby's pretty cute as a backrow American lit student, tho, giving his takes on Melville, overflowing his desk and legs straddling the aisle. He can attend Firefligh's classes anytime. I see extra credit assignment ops aplenty.

But frankly, after reading and hearing so much about the chemistry between Goren and Wallace, and expecting the blonde bisexual criminal to literally smoulder off the small screen, this one was rather disappointing. The plot and acting were fine - but the overall effect didn't live up to its billing as the launching of a great and worthy nemesis. And totally ridiculous that Goren would have answered even ONE question of Nicole's after she deviously researched his background, much less bartered away psychic wounds in some quid pro quo game of darts.

Best quote: "Academics are so vicious...because the stakes are so low". :)
  • new nemesis introduced. Why doesn\'t Emes have a nemesis?

4.3
    Maybe its just me but I don\'t like Wallace, and was dissapointed she showed up in more eps. She does have some good chemestry, someone is going to write a fanfiction about them eventually, but the character doesn\'t have a lot of substace to be able to come back for future eps. Overall the ep was good, plot and characters very well done, but get rid of Wallace And while I love this show I wish Emes would do more.. its kinda become the Bobby Gohen show.
  • This is the first meeting of Nicole Wallace and Robert "Bobby" Goren on Criminal Intent, and due to the incredible chemistry between them, Nicole shows up (as I write this) in three more excellent episodes.

The writers of Law and Order: Criminal Intent could not have known the kind of chemistry that would spark between Vincent D'Onofrio's character and Olivia d'Abo's first portrayal of Nicole Wallace. The energy between them is electric, and so it makes it all the more interesting that her character ends up gathering information about Goren that was either previously unknown or was simply alluded to on other episodes.
    While in the interrogation room, the two trade secrets back and forth; each one as hurtful as the next. Bobby and Nicole seem to truly understand what makes the other person tick, and it is fascinating to watch them argue (Nicole being at least one suspect that has no problem standing up to Goren).
    Clearly, Nicole is going to get away (or her character would not be able to be on future episodes) but Anti-Thesis simply whets the audience's appetite for the reappearance of Goren's Achilles' heel.
  • And introducing in the role of Bobby Goren's arch nemesis....... Nichole Wallace

I just watched Anti-Thesis On USA, the episode the introduced Nichole Wallace to L&O:CI. I watched the episode the first time around and I thought it was great, but watching it now…. The first meeting between the two was amazing, knowing what I know now about the dynamic between Bobby Goren and Nichole. It was creepy on a whole new level. The first meeting in the apartment and the last in the police station set the stage for the rivalry between them.

Anyone who is a fan of Nichole Wallace should see this episode. And if you’ve already watched it, watch it again. You won’t be sorry.

• This was an excellent episode introducing Nicole Wallace. The investigation lead to surprising outcomes and in the end, she ended up getting away. In future episodes, this story line was continued as we find out who she really was in this one.

This episode was an above average episode of Law and Order Criminal Intent and I would recommend it.
  • The Woman the Nicole Wallace is th Irene Adler to RObert Goren SHerlock HOlmes

SHe is educated she is atractive to both men and women and she is deadly. What a great charecter. Probably one of the best villians ever to grace the small screen. I am so glad that they have kept her alive through out now four years and four diferent episodes
MNT