Law & Order: Criminal Intent

Endgame

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM May 14, 2007 on USA

• Perfect. Absolutely perfect

First, let's focus just on D'Onofrio's acting. How can you not feel the mixed emotions that he was feeling? His face is a poster board for every emotion on this episode. When he was with Brady, they showed his face arguing with himself. Finally an explosion of anger and disbelief. Wow! Next onto the scene where he's looking at the photo album with his mother. Knowing the character's MO he was actually using this time to get some family history. But on the surface, he was enjoying a happy moment with his mother; the easy laughter & conversation. The final scene where again his face is a poster for every emotion. You can't help but see the sadness and the regret and of course the love.

As far as the plot. I thought it was great. I'm no writer, but I think that the writers did a fantastic job overall.

Now let's discuss the other characters. Eames was at least sympathetic with him in that she saw that Goren needed to resolve this & could not be removed from the case. At least that was my take on it. Ross was just being a captain doing his job. Brady, well, now you know where Goren got his ability to read people from. Although it's surprising that he didn't remember "uncle Mark". A smart character like that certainly should be able to remember people in his life.

Overall, this episode was excellent. It sticks with you emotionally. I had a hard time sleeping after watching it, because the emotions didn't end just because the episode ended. Excellent!
  • speechless with admiration for this cast and writing?directorial? staff. thank you for such terrific, moving theater!

.. extraordinary acting and writing. one completely forgets this is television-- D'Onofrio and Scheider wow: that blood-curdling moment when 'Brady' wheedles/threatens/taunts Bobby with "you have it in you..". and D'Onofrio with Moreno, amazing: the heart-wrenching scene between Bobby and his mother when she vacillates- wildly- between a whispered "I'm sorry" and then hitting at him with her tiny, fragile, flailing, dying hands-- this episode will tear you apart. the love in D'Onofrio's eyes as he interacts with his 'mother', alone, are worth a standing ovation. even while learning (potentially) what may be the single most traumatic, horrific 'truth' of his life, 'Bobby' shows only gentleness, compassion and love for his mother. what a performance! Bravo--- ! p.s. and I like the Beckett-ian title (-:

• VDO does it again, and makes me want to reach into my TV and give Bobby a hug! Man what an episode!

The reason this episode is perfect goes beyond the loss of Mrs. Goren, but the emotion in Bobby's eyes - so many actors can look sad, but I think VDO was sad. Everything about Endgame was note perfect, Roy Scheider, Eames, even Ross, whom I just don't like. And Bobby's brother being more interested in the money instead of his mother's well-being. Made me tear up for the whole family. How about the way he sat in the dark room all defeated and alone? Sob! And moreover the idea that he is going to have to come to some personal conclusion to this storyline next season, is it here yet?
    Awesome TV I can't wait!
  • One of the most intense episodes ever!!

WOW. This was incredibly intense. MFB(Mark Ford Brady), a crazy serial killer who is on death row might be the father of Bobby! My Favorite part was when Bobby and Eames were driving:

Bobby:(on his cell) Ma, she's not my girlfriend!
    Frances Goren: I want to meet her! (she hangs up)
    Bobby:(to Eames)Umm... My brother has been saying things about you to my mom. She thinks your my girlfriend and she wants to meet you.

That part was incredibly funny! Definatly heart breaking though, with Frances Goren dying, poor Bobby all torn up with the death of his mother... I just wanted to reach in and give him a HUGE hug!!!
  • What a story arch!!!!!

This is by far the best episode of this show so far!

What a storyline, It starts with Goren's mom and some guy moving to Death row. Then it jumps to Goren getting a tip from a former conviction. Mark Ford Brady leads the detectives around by the nose. Giving them little details here and there.

Then it jumps off! More details come forward and he leads them around to the BIG REVEAL! Goren finds a picture of his mother and The serial killer might be his father!

Plus we got to see the wierd serial killing pattern guy (the one from Perfect Strangers) again. Guess Goren keeps in contact with all the whack-jobs?

PS: That Guy from Jaws sure could act!
  • It seems that Bobby's family is like all others - secrets, past hurts, sibling rivalries, parents who make mistakes, the never-ending search for one's identity, love vs. hate etc. Thought-provoking, gut-wrenching episode! (Spoilers in review.)

Many of the fans of CI feel that VDO is the most talented actor on tv today. His highly emotional scenes are truly evidence of his creative genius! I too wish the Emmy organization would honor him with at least a nomination! What more does the man have to do? The episode is fabulous! ( Certainly the re-appearance of the character "Wally" by Mark-Linn Baker was a nice touch!) Just another splendid example of how the fine acting tells us even more than the actual dialogue! The interaction between Tony Goldwyn and VDO played out all the pain of 2 brothers witnessing the death of their mom - each reacting in their own way! (Bobby of course being the most affected.)
    More episodes like this one, please!
  • Absolutely perfect!

As soon as this episode aired in the US, I was frantically searching for it, so I could watch it. Finally, a day later, I came home from school, switched off my phone and sat down to watch it. An hour later, I was in tears, and figuring out the best way to go and hug Bobby Goren. It was the most heart-wrenching episode of CI, next to the brilliant masterpiece known as 'Blind Spot'. The final few minutes had me on the edge of my seat, wondering if Bobby would find out about his parentage. Sadly, no, but it gives hope for next season, and leaves so many unanswered questions. It makes the wait for Season 7 just that much harder, making me obsessivly search for spoilers and clues as to when it will start airing. Fantastic that Channel 10 bought the rights again, means that us Aussie fans can continue watching, although most won't see this brilliant episode until October at the latest. Waiting patiently for CI S7:D Until then, adios!
  • A surprise connection between Goren's dying mother and a serial killer makes this episode a stunner.

This one's all about the acting. Roy Scheider as the doomed serial killer, Rita Moreno playing Goren's dying mother, and, especially, the always excellent D'Orofrio all turn in stunning performances in this second to last episode of the season- an episode far stronger than the season finale. D'Orofrio's deathbed scenes with Moreno were heartrending, both actors showing great sensitivity as their characters face painful past events. Scheider is chilling and utterly convincing as the death-row serial killer, who carefully, and with artfully played false bravado, doles out bits of information on his past crimes in hopes of postponing his approaching execution. The final hospital bed scene between Goren and his dying mother was just magnificent.
  • A very different kind of episode. Terrific acting from D'Onofrio, Scheider, Erbe and Bogosian and the whole ensemble. Great writing and direction as well. (Spoilers in review)

In this episode, we see what great writing, direction and acting can produce. This is not a detective story typical of the Goren-Eames series (Holmes & Watson). It is a grand manipulation of victim (Goren) by monster (Brady), with Eames and Goren's family caught in the slip-stream.

The weaving of the monster, mass murderer Brady, into Goren's difficult relationship to his mother, and his own questions about his identity, is masterful. Writers Leight and Rorick are clearly working with Sengupta-like attention to story, character and detail.

The story unfolds simply at first, with the serial killer, Brady, facing imminent execution, desperate (it seems) for just a little more time, a little more life.

But it only seems that way. Brady has a final story to tell, one that he is desperate to play out to and with his victim, Goren. So finely balanced is the story, that the viewer is not sure whether Brady's game is confession, penitance, greed, or voyeurism.

He's watching Goren carefully. Why? He's fishing, casting bait on a line, catches Goren and begins to pull him in. Telling him clue by clue of the missing identities of his victims, until...

He set's the hook with a victim from Goren's own family, and a possible further victim, we soon see, in Goren himself.

Goren's relation with his mother, a riveting and astonishing performance from Rita Moreno, takes a sinister twist when we find the long-ago affair between her and the killer. An affair that has possibly produced an heir.

This realisation pushes the stressed Goren over the edge for a minute, until he pulls back from madness. He teeters on the edge again in a final scene with his mother, but again pulls back.

Does Goren know who he is? Is he the monster's son? The mad woman's son? Or is he the sum of his life, his mastery of detection, his integrity, his genius?

I distinctly got the impression that this may be the last episode for D'Onofrio.

I hope not; but What A Way To Go !!!
  • Mark Brady - a serial killer due to be executed in two weeks reaches out to Goren and slowly unravel both their past. Confirming the fine line between good and evil.

I found this episode so facinating I had to join the post. Goren's character has always been facinating because of the obvious pain behind his amazing abilities. It was clear that Goren did not have a loving or even a normal father/son relationship with his father - bon vivant who was away most of his childhood. Goren's relationship with his mother appeared more complicated. He seemed to have some deep rooted - unexplained guilt towards her. Or perhaps he just felt sorry for her because of the absent father/husband. In previous episodes, his mother clearly favored her older son Frank and always seemed disappointed, almost angry at Bobby. The way the episode ended in the hospital room with Bobby finally confronting what he had most feared (throughout the episode - about a two week period) was captivating. His face when his mother says - "I just never knew for sure.." showed all the anguish and heartache in his body and mind. How much does your parents really determine who you are? Has Bobby's mother guilt/anxiety plus her shame and fear passed on to Bobby? Is this why he seems unable to be happy? Why is he so different from his brother Frank? Frank seemed to have had his mothers love but ended up on the streets and hoping that his mothers death will bring him some money. These are questions I hope will be addressed next year! Finally, how is it that the Emmy voters have overlooked Vincent D'Onofrio - his acting is peerless.
  • Are the writers raiding Fanfiction?

1.4
    I love fanfiction, but not in the actual TV show! What's with all the fluff and angst? Frank looking for money from his mom's estate, Goren working on case that he shouldn’t because he is personally involved and Mom wanting to meet Alex are all in fanfic stories.) And Goren possibly having a serial killer as his father sounds like fanfiction. I am surprised the episode didn't end with Goren crawling into Alex's bed for comfort.

There were no analytical skills used in this episode. Goren just followed the clues given him. Clues are an understatement - they were directions from Brady! Why would major case be wasted on crimes where the killer was already scheduled to be executed? Would they really be able to drive out to a prison in Pennsylvania on a daily basis?

It was as if this episode was just written for DV’O to show off his acting range. And aren't there enough actors in New York that they wouldn't have to recycle actresses that previously played perps?

If they found the one body because Brady always killed the victim in her building, what was the other body doing there? Wouldn’t someone have noticed if two women were missing from the same building?

The only good writing was at the end when the nurse called Bobby, "Mr. Goren". At that point it didn't matter that he was a Detective First Grade, he was another man who lost his mom.

And to think this was close to being the last Goren story! Meh, what a disappointment. If the writing isn't any better than this next season, why bother renewing the show.
  • To think that this truly wonderfully written and acted shown will be relegated to cable is a true crime, however, this episode shows audiences why Vincent D'Onofrio is an amazing actor.

Despite the serial killer story line it was difficult if not impossible to pay close attention to the emotion and self that D'Onofrio pours into the character as he watches his mother continue to slip away and does what he can to learn more and more about who he is and why he is. You see the physical weight of past seasons on "Bobby's" body and face and can't help but to feel for and with him as in the ending scene all he can do is sit alone in his mother's empty hospital room taking in the totality of the moment. It is clear that he will never be the same and his already strained relationship he has with his partner, Eames is certainly not helped by excluding her from the shear hell he's been going through including the death of his mother.
USA