"Broad Channel" Official Discussion Thread (Spoilers)

layle1

[1]Apr 13, 2010
    • level: 72
    Please use this thread for all discussion of the episode, "Broad Channel."
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

exoristos33

[2]Apr 14, 2010
    • level: 1

hi do you know the name of the song that the episode starts with?

pgsuperfan

[3]Apr 14, 2010
    • level: 25

It was kind of strange to see an epsiode with out Goren and Eames I liked the waythat Nichols kept mentioning his late pardner Ross and I like the new captain and Nichols new pardner

Dewbak75

[4]Apr 14, 2010
    • level: 18

The new captain was not bad, but nothing special yet. Were they trying to imply she transferred over from Internal Affairs? I'm definitely liking the new partner though, Nichols and Stevens make a good team. The way they seem able to communicate without speaking during interviews reminds me of the way Logan & Barek were during season 5. Jeff & Saffron look good together too(not shipping, just an aesthetic comment). She plays guitar, he's a talented pianist. Who's up for a Nichols & Stevens jam session?

The episode itself was a little slow, and the Irish crime boss was just annoying. Every time he started talking like he was some noble patron of the island, I just wanted to smack him upside his deluded head.

dad1153

[5]Apr 15, 2010
    • level: 11

Decent start to the Goldblum era of "CI" even if the episode itself wasn't great. Way too much of that annoying Bruce Springstein-like working class song (exoristos33, the name of the Mike Post-composed song appears during the opening credits; next time you rewatch "Broad Channel" read fast), lots of unnecessary close-ups of Nichols just for show and too blatant an attempt by the producers to make Serena Stevens seem smarter than everyone else in the room (I know they just introduced Burrows' character to the show but the writing/directing of the scenes where Stevens shows off her deductive skills were a little too ham-fisted). The case and ending were also pretty easy to see coming but at least we got an entertaining guest performance from "L&O" veteran Kevin Conway as Irish mob boss Jackie. It's rare for "CI" to have a memorable bad guy these days and at least Conway made Jackie an entertaining a**hole baddie from which Nichols could bounce off more than accusations and threats. They also drop-named Ross (but not Eames... does she still work there?) and pretty much gave the new captain an almost-stealth entry into the show. Remember the scenes in the "CI" promos where Mastrantonio introduced herself as 'the new captain of Major Case'? Not on the episode, so they were either cut for time or shot for another episode (!).

Burrows' Det. Stevens is growing on me. She's a perfect foil to Nichols the same way Erbe's Eames was a great partner for Goren: has opinions and theories but doesn't shout them out, lets her senior partner take the lead but it's right behind him, and looks good next to Nichols (they're tall!). BTW, Broad Channel is a real place (http://www.broadchannelny.com/) which is why I love all three "L&O" shows over the Bruckheimer procedurals. When everything else fails (and in this particular episode everything was predictable and wrapped-up too neatly) you can always count on the ambiance and local flavor of a New York borough to make the show stand out, and "Broad Channel" did.

Edited on 04/15/2010 6:17pm
    Edited 2 total times.

danharr

[6]Apr 17, 2010
    • level: 45

Ok episode the story wasn't so great the focus was the intro of the new captain and detective. I really don't care for the captain at this point she was kind of annoying perhaps once we get pack to the look at me I'm in charge phase she'll be better.

haldrey

[7]Apr 19, 2010
    • level: 22
    An average new era episode. The storyline was good but the all new cast not so. Let's give it a few more episodes.

dralanstone

[8]Apr 25, 2010
    "Middle of Nowhere" (credited as performed by Alan Doyle and written by Mike Pest and Alan Dolye)

dad1153

[9]Apr 28, 2010
    • level: 11

dralanstone wrote:
    "Middle of Nowhere" (credited as performed by Alan Doyle and written by Mike Pest and Alan Dolye)
    That would be Mike POST (not Pest!Undecided), who only happens to be one of the best TV composers in the biz (all "L&O" themes, "Hill St. Blues," etc.).

barbaraboucher

[10]May 5, 2011

Where can we get the song; by alan doyle and Mike post Middle of Nowhere it is not anywhere to buy or download. they dont even plat it at the beginning of the episode anymore.... I have been trying to find it since I saw the episode.