"Consoler" Official Discussion Thread (Spoilers)

phf3947

[1]May 8, 2011
    • level: 71
    Please use this thread for all discussion of the episode, "Consoler."
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

danharr

[2]May 8, 2011
    • level: 45

Good episode man they went hard on the Catholic church nice to see how Eames and Goren are back and I love the way he broke the killer great interrogation just like the old days.

tuckgraph

[3]May 8, 2011
    • level: 19

This was a great episode. From the moment Goren asked who moved the body, to his slamming his hand on the interrogation table, great performance by Vincent. There was an edge to Bobby in the final interrogation, makes me look forward to things to come.

And the counseling session! There was a respectful intensity to it. So far, so good.

dad1153

[4]May 9, 2011
    • level: 11

Looks like Goren's therapy sessions with the new shrink will be the highlight of every new "CI" episode this season (same way Tony Soprano visiting Dr. Melfi was a highlight of every "Sopranos" episode). That therapy scene had a quiet, powerful intensity... wish it had gone a little longer. Hope the final episode of the season (which will probably be the final "CI" episode ever) has enough time and a good writer/casting director that can pull off having an interesting crime, good actors for the perps and a closure-filled scene for Goren with both Eames and the new shrink. Strangely, after two episodes, Jay Sanders isn't registering at all as the new captain of Major Squad. All the previous captains (even M.E. Mastarantonio's Callas) had enough screen-presence and lines that conveyed 'this is my house, you work for me' attitude. Sanders is like this big teddy bear that walks around spewing lines, but doesn't convey at all that Major Case is his new turf. No wonder Dick Wolf left him out of 'THE WALK' at the end of the opening credits; this is now definitely 'The Goren & Eames Show.'Shame because, in previous seasons, the detectives interacting with Deakins/Ross/Callas had small rewards for the diehard fans. And still, after two episodes, no explanations of (a) where Eames has been (she was not seen for most of Season 9), (b) where Goren went/what he did after he left Major Case, (c), where did Nichols & Stevens go (transfered? budget cuts?) and (d) why Callas was replaced as Captain of Major Case with the new guy.

That said, decent-to-OK episode for what was supposed to be the season premiere. You can tell during Goren interrogating the priest (great guest performance from the always-reliable Neal McDonough) that the show's producers were concerned the show would be perceived as bashing the Catholic Church (as if the dozens of previous "L&O" episodes on all three series haven't done it already). Why else would Bobby say 'one bad deed versus thousands that go unnoticed,' etc.? The twist of the end that the deleted iPad note was the real perp's confession was excellent, I honestly did not see that coming. Wish Eames had been in on the interrogationbut, given this was meant as the unlikely return of characters that had been given proper sendoffs a year before, it's understandable the producerswanted Goren alone in the room so he could show-off his skills at bringing the perp's defenses down. Two episodes in and "CI" is cookin' with gas! If it's the last eight at least the show is going with a bang, and if more episodes come from this season's improved ratings performance/critical acclaim then that's gravy.

Edited on 05/08/2011 11:14pm

Junkyxl19

[5]May 9, 2011
    • level: 12
    Man I love that Goren is back, woohoo makes my day. Great episode and the last scene was great. keep em coming I say!

tuckgraph

[6]May 12, 2011
    • level: 19

I was going to PM this show's tv.com editor about this, but the "Take Our Survey" banner is preventing me from sending PM's. Anyhow, how do we get a new photo atop the show's home page? One without Jeff Goldblum, that is. I know this is off topic, and kind of trivial, but I'd like to see Goren and Eames more prominently displayed! Keep it current!

layle1

[7]May 13, 2011
    • level: 72
    TV.com can't update any of the visuals here because USA hasn't updated their press site since season eight. They haven't bestirred themselves to send out episode press releases for the past two seasons, either.

haldrey

[8]May 16, 2011
    • level: 22
    That's what we are talking about L&O CI back to its former glory.