"To the Boy in the Blue Knit Cap" Official Discussion Thread (Spoilers

layle1

[1]Jun 26, 2011
    • level: 72
    Please use this thread for all discussion of the series finale, "To the Boy in the Blue Knit Cap."
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

danharr

[2]Jun 26, 2011
    • level: 45

Nice ending sending Goran and Eames off into the sunset to work the cases without us good way to end everything the dating site case on the other hand not so interesting.

tuckgraph

[3]Jun 26, 2011
    • level: 19

That was a refreshing way to end the series, assuming it ends here. There's no unlocking the mysteries of Goren's psyche, no final case involving the fate of the universe, just detectives doing their jobs. That's always been the show at its best.

As for the case, the twins were an interesting angle. Interesting, because it didn't seem to be relevant to the case at all! Unless I missed something. They could have just been brothers. I think Eames said, "That's a first!", or something to that effect. They just happened to be identical twins. Maybe there was some symbolism to it. Twins are twins, an apple's an apple, and Goren is who he is. The look he gave Eames at the end was very satisfying. Let's just do our job.

dad1153

[4]Jun 27, 2011
    • level: 11

^^^ Dude, have you not seen "The Social Network" or followed the news about theWinklevoss twins' ongoing lawsuits against Mark Zuckerberg (google them)? The show even name-dropped Facebook last night, the same way they name-dropped Julie Taymor and the Spider-Man musical the week before in 'Icarus.' It was yet another ripped-from-the-headlines plot, albeit one that ends on murder for the twins (who are very much alive and suing in the real world).

I liked the episode but mostly because it was just another case to solve, and at the end of the episode Goren and Eames literally run into the sunset to solve another crime and that's how we should always remember them: detectives solving tough crimes, with Goren doing what he likes best with the one person that understands him best (Eames) by his side. Simple, neat (love the B&W flashbacks to young Bobby Goren, a neat contrast to the haggard and worn-down face that Goren carries in the present) and leaves the door wide-open for either an endless repeat cycle, a couple of made-for-TV movies or another season (either on USA or another network). Notice how, by this finale, Jay Sanders' captain Hannah has been marginalized to the point of having a couple of throwaway scenes in which Goren and Eames explain everything to him. If anything this tenth abbreviated season of "CI" has made me realize how integral to the show's chemistry Sheridan, Bogosian and even Mastarantonio's captain characters were to get the whole 'detectives work for me' premise grounded in something resembling procedural reality.

And then there was just one "L&O" show left, "Special Victims Unit," minus its lead male detective and with the lead female detective about the be part-time. My, how hard has the Dick Wolf empire crumbled! :-(

Edited on 06/26/2011 11:38pm
    Edited 3 total times.

scatha_guardian

[5]Jun 27, 2011
    • level: 35
    That was an ending??? Wow! Goren seemed a little more "whole" at the end...with him and his Eames going off to another case. I also loved how he called her by her first name. There is hope for the future...

dad1153

[6]Jun 27, 2011
    • level: 11

It also just dawned on me that the two couples in the episode (the fake one between the girl that created/stole the website idea and the pretend boyfriend, and the unseen one between her and the twin that wasn't lawsuit-obsessed) contrasted the state of the Goren-Eames relationship. Like the website creator and the nice twin, Goren and Eames have a strong and deep relationship that's deep in the background (even maybe to the two of them) and contrasts with the visibly-strong-but-underneath-pretend relationship that many a couple have. Goren reaching out to the psychiatrist for more sessions with her (as opposed to somebody else that he'd have to start from square one with) is proof that he wants to improve himself and break his routine of isolation that he's made for himself, and Alex is obviously first in line to see whatever improvements (if any) the new under-treatment Bobby Goren will show to those around him. Basically the case's phony and real (unseen to us) relationships were set-ups for the episode's final five minutes dealing with both Goren's issues and the fact that Eames is, if not all he has left as far as people he can trust, at least someone that will bear witness to whatever positive fruits come from his therapy sessions with the doctor.

Damn it, now I really want another season of "CI" to see the new-and-improved Goren come from underneath the rubble of the past ten seasons' worth of tension and work-related stress. Not fair USA! :-(

cross_mr

[7]Jun 27, 2011
    • level: 9
    I'll miss this series. Goren has always been my favorite character on TV especially in the early years.

83optics

[8]Jun 27, 2011
    • level: 6

learned:

* well, THE SOCIAL NETWORK was a good movie

* i get first dibs with Rodgers on the dance floor

* eames knows her bare buns

* goren would make the perfect caveman with that growl

* kiiiiiiiiiiiissssssssss? awwww...

* oh yeah, series finale

tuckgraph

[9]Jun 27, 2011
    • level: 19

dad1153 wrote:

^^^ Dude, have you not seen "The Social Network" or followed the news about theWinklevoss twins' ongoing lawsuits against Mark Zuckerberg (google them)? :-(

No I didn't see the movie or know about all that stuff. That makes sense. Never mind.

haldrey

[10]Jun 27, 2011
    • level: 22

A goodbye good episode although I was waiting for a spectacular one. A great show that just faded into the horizon.

vicbjones

[11]Jun 27, 2011
    • level: 12

tuckgraph wrote:

That was a refreshing way to end the series, assuming it ends here. There's no unlocking the mysteries of Goren's psyche, no final case involving the fate of the universe, just detectives doing their jobs. That's always been the show at its best.

As for the case, the twins were an interesting angle. Interesting, because it didn't seem to be relevant to the case at all! Unless I missed something. They could have just been brothers. I think Eames said, "That's a first!", or something to that effect. They just happened to be identical twins. Maybe there was some symbolism to it. Twins are twins, an apple's an apple, and Goren is who he is. The look he gave Eames at the end was very satisfying. Let's just do our job.

I was relieved that 90 percent of the episode was Goren and Eames working a case as well, as opposed to a token case and a lot of self-conscious self-reflection.

Edited on 06/27/2011 9:30pm

lynna12000

[13]Jun 28, 2011
    • level: 21
    I am VERY sad that the show has ended. Goren and Eames are one of my all time favorite detective duo's.

I'll go with the majority and agree that having them go off into the sunset together was the best way to do it. They went out the way they came in; solving the puzzles & protecting the public. CI always struck me as being the least glamorous, most work-a-day of the 3 L&O fanchises. And that's what made it work for me.

tryptz

[14]Jul 2, 2011
    • level: 13

Great...Awesome ending!!!!. For so long I had nightmares the show producers will turn Bobby mad or even kill him off. To put him on the road or semblence of the road to recovery was more than I could have hoped for...From the bottom of my heart I want to say Thank You to the producers the for at least leaving room for Bobby to be happy somewhere down the road. I so desperately want this brilliant man with all his faults to be happy.

Thank Yo Vincent D'Onofrio for your wonderfulportrayalof Bobby Goren. The ending was everything I could have wished.

Kudos guys.

janethyland

[15]Jul 9, 2011
    • level: 1
    It was OK for a Finale, but disappointing after Icarus.
    Maybe finales are always disappointing....like for Homicide Life on Streets etc.
    It was a bit flat,though it covered everything, and that in itself was a feat of fidelity.
    It was designed to please everyone and be all inclusive.

Brancato, leight and Balcer are the three great showrunners of this series, and they came together in this episode.

Goren and eames didnt go off into the sunset. they went off down a residential avenue in New York.It was peaceful.