What Happened to Kathryn Erbe (Det. Alexandra Eames)

  • Avatar of Random862

    Random862

    [1]Nov 26, 2006
    • member since: 11/30/05
    • level: 7
    • rank: Talk Show Host
    • posts: 830
    The last couple times I've tuned into the show there is a different female detective. A girl with red hair.

    Did Kathryn Erbe leave the show?
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of mariska143

    mariska143

    [2]Nov 26, 2006
    • member since: 06/19/06
    • level: 16
    • rank: Church Lady
    • posts: 1,852
    Back in the fifth season, Dick Wolf and Vincent D'Onofrio decided to change the schedule because Vincent and Kathryn were being overworked. (My poor babies )

    So they began alternating episodes with a different team of detectives, including Chris Noth, who they brought back from the original L & O. His partner was Carolyn Barek. However, she left (she was on loan from the FBI, or something) after the fifth season, and the woman you are speaking of is his new partner, Detective Megan Wheeler, played by Julianne Nicholson.

    No, Kathryn Erbe is still there, she just doesn't film every other week.

    (Edit) Oh, and yeah, they haven't had an episode since Nov. 14 (The War At Home), so if you have tuned in during the last two weeks, she hasn't been there. The last two were Logan/Wheeler because earlier on, they filmed and showed two Goren/Eames episodes in a row (Oct 17 and 31, Bedfellows and Masquerade, respectively.)
    Edited on 11/26/2006 8:55am
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of SPARKLE4U

    SPARKLE4U

    [3]Nov 26, 2006
    • member since: 11/19/06
    • level: 12
    • rank: Evil Bert
    • posts: 188
    Random862 wrote:
    The last couple times I've tuned into the show there is a different female detective. A girl with red hair.

    Did Kathryn Erbe leave the show?


    Are you speaking of the woman that was paired with Vincent during the time that Kathryn Erbe was on maternity leave???
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of SPARKLE4U

    SPARKLE4U

    [4]Nov 26, 2006
    • member since: 11/19/06
    • level: 12
    • rank: Evil Bert
    • posts: 188
    Random862 wrote:
    The last couple times I've tuned into the show there is a different female detective. A girl with red hair.

    Did Kathryn Erbe leave the show?


    By the way, does anybody know what her name is and what season and what episodes she appeared in??? I remember an episode where Det. Goren seemed to be annoyed with her because she didn't get a clue!! He commented, that "Eames would have known that"!! And his "replacement partner" glared at Goren as if to say...

    "I'M NOT DETECTIVE EAMES!!!!!"
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of mogirl98

    mogirl98

    [5]Nov 26, 2006
    • member since: 11/15/06
    • level: 1
    • rank: Weatherman
    • posts: 211

    She was in season 3 for 7 episodes -- Samantha Buck played Det. Lynn Bishop.  

    This was a great character arc, also, because the longer she was with Goren, the more she irritated him -- and vice versa -- she used to ask him questions and roll her eyes at the answers behind his back, and also at some of his antics -- she never "got" him ---  And the best scene was the in the episode where Eames had the baby (the one about the guys who made computer games), and prior to that Goren had been trying to explain some of the past cases to Bishop in connection with his present behavior, and she didn't understand, and he was so extremely frustrated, he sends her to tell the suspect to leave, looks over at Eames' empty chair -- and there is such an overwhelming sadness that comes into his eyes (there we go with the eyes again) -- but he's so frustrated, he balls up a piece of paper, and there's a muscle that twitches in his cheek and he throws the paper at the chair, hits it-- and then looks around to see if anyone is watching him ---

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of mariska143

    mariska143

    [6]Nov 26, 2006
    • member since: 06/19/06
    • level: 16
    • rank: Church Lady
    • posts: 1,852
    I almost kissed the television when I saw that. Poor baby...

    It was one of my first episodes, too... I hated Bishop intensely, and I didn't even know who she was. I just thought that "The Big Detective" didn't seem like he was comfortable with this redhead. I said, "Where's the little one?" Meaning Eames. Ha, wow.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of SPARKLE4U

    SPARKLE4U

    [7]Nov 26, 2006
    • member since: 11/19/06
    • level: 12
    • rank: Evil Bert
    • posts: 188
    mogirl98 wrote:

    She was in season 3 for 7 episodes -- Samantha Buck played Det. Lynn Bishop.  

    This was a great character arc, also, because the longer she was with Goren, the more she irritated him -- and vice versa -- she used to ask him questions and roll her eyes at the answers behind his back, and also at some of his antics -- she never "got" him ---  And the best scene was the in the episode where Eames had the baby (the one about the guys who made computer games), and prior to that Goren had been trying to explain some of the past cases to Bishop in connection with his present behavior, and she didn't understand, and he was so extremely frustrated, he sends her to tell the suspect to leave, looks over at Eames' empty chair -- and there is such an overwhelming sadness that comes into his eyes (there we go with the eyes again) -- but he's so frustrated, he balls up a piece of paper, and there's a muscle that twitches in his cheek and he throws the paper at the chair, hits it-- and then looks around to see if anyone is watching him ---



    Thank you for that information. I was on another website and actually saw her image (Samantha Buck/Det. Lynn Bishop) with
    Vincent!!!!! So she has a few celebrity photos out there...

    I thought that Det. Bishop always had a little "snippy" attitude. She seemed to be annoyed with Det. Goren and wanted to prove points by making him appear insufficient, unorganized and stupid!!!!
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of mogirl98

    mogirl98

    [8]Nov 26, 2006
    • member since: 11/15/06
    • level: 1
    • rank: Weatherman
    • posts: 211

    That was such a fabulous series of episodes, in their own way --  You had to watch carefully (and I know we ALL do that) but each episode, progressively, he got more and more edgy with Bishop -- and at the end of the computer game geeks episode, when he reads the message about the baby, there's a relieved smile, like, thank God, she'll be back soon ---  There seemed to be quite an age difference between Bishop and Goren, and Bishop kind of looked at him, I think, not only as weird and hard to keep up with, but as an "old" cop.    Their reactions to one another were really quite funny a lot of times.

    The first episode of that series, where the black newspaper writer's father kills his white girlfriend, set the tone, when in the opening scene with Goren and Bishop at the crime scene, the other detective says, you two don't take notes, and Goren, very edgily, says, we haven't worked that out yet -- at which tone, Bishop whips out a pen and notepad --

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of SPARKLE4U

    SPARKLE4U

    [9]Nov 26, 2006
    • member since: 11/19/06
    • level: 12
    • rank: Evil Bert
    • posts: 188
    SPARKLE4U wrote:
    mogirl98 wrote:

    She was in season 3 for 7 episodes -- Samantha Buck played Det. Lynn Bishop.  

    This was a great character arc, also, because the longer she was with Goren, the more she irritated him -- and vice versa -- she used to ask him questions and roll her eyes at the answers behind his back, and also at some of his antics -- she never "got" him ---  And the best scene was the in the episode where Eames had the baby (the one about the guys who made computer games), and prior to that Goren had been trying to explain some of the past cases to Bishop in connection with his present behavior, and she didn't understand, and he was so extremely frustrated, he sends her to tell the suspect to leave, looks over at Eames' empty chair -- and there is such an overwhelming sadness that comes into his eyes (there we go with the eyes again) -- but he's so frustrated, he balls up a piece of paper, and there's a muscle that twitches in his cheek and he throws the paper at the chair, hits it-- and then looks around to see if anyone is watching him ---



    Thank you for that information. I was on another website and actually saw her image (Samantha Buck/Det. Lynn Bishop) with
    Vincent!!!!! So she has a few celebrity photos out there...

    I thought that Det. Bishop always had a little "snippy" attitude. She seemed to be annoyed with Det. Goren and wanted to prove points by making him appear insufficient, unorganized and stupid!!!!


    Mogirl...can you tell me which episodes in Season 3 Samantha Buck appeared?? I been searching and have not found her name listed yet???

    Thanks for your help...
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of mogirl98

    mogirl98

    [10]Nov 26, 2006
    • member since: 11/15/06
    • level: 1
    • rank: Weatherman
    • posts: 211

    Without actually pulling out the DVDs and double checking -- I believe she was in the following Season 3 episodes:

    1. Pravada                                      4. Sound Bodies                  7. Mad Hops

    2. Stray                                           5. Happy Family

    3.A Murderer Among Us                6. F.P.S.                           

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of SPARKLE4U

    SPARKLE4U

    [11]Nov 26, 2006
    • member since: 11/19/06
    • level: 12
    • rank: Evil Bert
    • posts: 188
    mogirl98 wrote:

    Without actually pulling out the DVDs and double checking -- I believe she was in the following Season 3 episodes:

    1. Pravada                                      4. Sound Bodies                  7. Mad Hops

    2. Stray                                           5. Happy Family

    3.A Murderer Among Us                6. F.P.S.                           



    THANKS A BILLION... I just found some of the episodes!! (wish I had seen Season 3, but I didn't start watching LOCI until the latter part of last year!!!) :-(( And I'm attempting to catch up by watching the BRAVO MARATHON each Sunday Evening!

    CAN YOU HELP ME AGAIN..??? I need to know the episode where
    Det. Goren gets SLAPPED IN THE FACE by a suspect while being
    interrogated????

    Please let me know, thanks!!! (that was truly an emotional moment for me/because I had wondered if anyone would DARE to hit Det Goren while his face was only inches from theirs???)

    Thanks again...
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of mogirl98

    mogirl98

    [12]Nov 26, 2006
    • member since: 11/15/06
    • level: 1
    • rank: Weatherman
    • posts: 211

    You're welcome -- Yeah, I posted in the Emotionally Charged Eps --

    That was Sound Bodies.   The same young man appears in In the Wee Small Hours, as the cell mate of the judge's son, bragging about having b*** slapped a detective in his own squad room --

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Random862

    Random862

    [13]Nov 26, 2006
    • member since: 11/30/05
    • level: 7
    • rank: Talk Show Host
    • posts: 830
    SPARKLE4U wrote:


    Are you speaking of the woman that was paired with Vincent during the time that Kathryn Erbe was on maternity leave???


    This girl.

    http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0629855/
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of mariska143

    mariska143

    [14]Nov 26, 2006
    • member since: 06/19/06
    • level: 16
    • rank: Church Lady
    • posts: 1,852
    That's Julianne Nicholson, who is Wheeler, Logan's partner. (See my other post for what I said about Nicholson)


    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Random862

    Random862

    [15]Nov 26, 2006
    • member since: 11/30/05
    • level: 7
    • rank: Talk Show Host
    • posts: 830
    mariska143 wrote:
    Oh, and yeah, they haven't had an episode since Nov. 14 (The War At Home), so if you have tuned in during the last two weeks, she hasn't been there. The last two were Logan/Wheeler because earlier on, they filmed and showed two Goren/Eames episodes in a row (Oct 17 and 31, Bedfellows and Masquerade, respectively.)


    I think the last episode I recall Kathryn Erbe in was when she was an episode that had Brooke Shields in it. Det Eames was kidnapped and after being rescued she was in the hospital. I remember her telling her partner that he tried to get her to scream but she wouldn't. All 3 Law and Order shows are on late night reruns so I might be confused and am thinking of an old episode.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Syd_CB

    Syd_CB

    [16]Nov 26, 2006
    • member since: 10/17/05
    • level: 15
    • rank: Ginsu Knife
    • posts: 276
    That episode was the season premiere for this season- it's called "Blind Spot". She's definitely been in others. As Mariska143 said, they recently (ie: last season) starting doing this thing where they alternate between episodes featuring Alex and Bobby and episodes featuring Mike Logan and Megan Wheeler (Julianne Nicholson- the girl you're asking about). Mike Logan was originally paired with Carolyn Barek, but she left at the end of last season. Julianne Nicholson was originally on the show Conviction which was yet another Law & Order spinoff (set in the Law & Order world) which featured Stephanie March as, yes, Alexandra Cabot (Bureau Chief this time). The show was cancelled partway into its first season, probably because of low viewership (it did air on Fridays)- I liked the show. Julianne Nicholson played a new ADA (Christina) on the show. She, along with Milena Govich, who also played a young ADA under Cabot on Conviction, both signed on for new roles in the Law & Order world. Julianne Nicholson is, of course, Megan Wheeler on L&O CI, and Milena Govich is Det. Nina Cassady on the original L&O (btw, she is the first female detective ever on the original L&O).
    Edited on 11/26/2006 7:31pm
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of mariska143

    mariska143

    [17]Nov 26, 2006
    • member since: 06/19/06
    • level: 16
    • rank: Church Lady
    • posts: 1,852
    Random862 wrote:
    I think the last episode I recall Kathryn Erbe in was when she was an episode that had Brooke Shields in it.


    This part in particular is Siren Call. Second Goren/Eames ep of Season 6, third episode overall. (Good ep, too! )

    Random862 wrote:
    Det Eames was kidnapped and
    after being rescued she was in the hospital. I remember her telling her
    partner that he tried to get her to scream but she wouldn't.


    This is from Blind Spot, the season premiere and the first Goren/Eames episode. (Also good ep )






    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Random862

    Random862

    [18]Nov 28, 2006
    • member since: 11/30/05
    • level: 7
    • rank: Talk Show Host
    • posts: 830
    mariska143 wrote:
    Back in the fifth season, Dick Wolf and Vincent D'Onofrio decided to change the schedule because Vincent and Kathryn were being overworked. (My poor babies )

    So they began alternating episodes with a different team of detectives, including Chris Noth, who they brought back from the original L & O. His partner was Carolyn Barek. However, she left (she was on loan from the FBI, or something) after the fifth season, and the woman you are speaking of is his new partner, Detective Megan Wheeler, played by Julianne Nicholson.

    No, Kathryn Erbe is still there, she just doesn't film every other week.

    (Edit) Oh, and yeah, they haven't had an episode since Nov. 14 (The War At Home), so if you have tuned in during the last two weeks, she hasn't been there. The last two were Logan/Wheeler because earlier on, they filmed and showed two Goren/Eames episodes in a row (Oct 17 and 31, Bedfellows and Masquerade, respectively.)


    Geez, talk about them complicating matters!

    Criminal Intent isn't a physically demanding job where they are chasing down criminals and tackling them in the streets etc. It's actually pretty low key type show and mostly cat and mouse games where they know who is guilty almost from the beginning and they are playing them until the end.

    How demanding can that be?

    I much prefer a show to be congruent with their cast. When I watch a series I like to see the same cast week to week. Have guest stars yes, but why have them replacing the actual main actors? I don't like that at all.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of mogirl98

    mogirl98

    [19]Nov 28, 2006
    • member since: 11/15/06
    • level: 1
    • rank: Weatherman
    • posts: 211

    It's extremely demanding -- they work very, very long hours, plus VDO and Erbe were in nearly every scene of every show -- there's dialogue to be learned, and rehearsals for each scene; they have to work with the props and the sets to be sure they "hit their marks", and they have various coaches for various aspects of the character and the storyline they happen to be filiming at any given time (You don't really think VDO actually speaks German, Cantonese, etc.?).   Plus, scenes are shot morning, noon and night, depending on what the storyline calls for. And they do numeous takes of each scene, which are then cut and edited together to achieve the effect they are looking for.

    Most TV actors have contract clauses limiting their working days to 14 hours.  VDO, being unused to TV work on a sustained basis, did not have a limitation clause in his contract.  

    Added to that, he has hiw own production company, and he does do feature film work as well.  He also directs.  At the time he collapsed, he was acting in a moving, directing a move, producing a movie, and doing CI as well.  And he's got a lot of creative control at CI, and is very much hands-on and a perfectionist.   Then, they are obligated to make a certain number of personal appearances and attend promotional events, as well. 

    So, it's not like they do an entire season's filiming in the space of a few weeks.  It's a lot harder than it looks, and it is a tribute to the hard work and talents of all involved that it looks so easy to us on the outside, who simply have to sit back and enjoy.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of SPARKLE4U

    SPARKLE4U

    [20]Nov 28, 2006
    • member since: 11/19/06
    • level: 12
    • rank: Evil Bert
    • posts: 188
    Vincent D'Onofrio is a PERFECTIONIST & A CONTROL FREAK!!

    He has admitted that he's a perfectionist, and Kathryn has stated that he's both! That's what the problem was, Vincent was over extending himself "mentally & physcially". In one interview, he told the reporter that he THINKS ABOUT A SCENE FOR SEVERAL DAYS...before he does it. Now in my opinion that's a lot of "mind energy" and no wonder he's so tired and worn out.

    I also think that this type of behavior wore out the crew and fellow actors as well. Kathryn said that season 5 (after the decision to split them) was much better and Vincent was more relaxed.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.