Law & Order: Criminal Intent

In the Dark

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM Oct 31, 2004 on USA

• Bizare plot lets this one down

An episode that covers needless murder, loss of mental faculty and devotion.

While this story made me feel somewhat sympathetic towards the female perpetator, the plot just had too many loose ends and failed logic for me to like it. Overall, the story is fair and it would have been watchable if not for the motivations of Butch which I felt arent explained enough. Sure there is enough motivation to his life's love, but to kill so many unconnected people for her just eludes me.

Furthermore, I felt the first act of the story was more in keeping with what youd expect from a L&O-CI episode and was promising something spectacular involving, a serial killer morphed into a mythical demon dreamt up by homeless community, a black market business salvaging body parts from dead homeless people. Both of these threads had so much potential in their own right, that they could have made an episode each from them. Instead the story takes its deviation into a tame unremarkable crime, whose only interest is the shocking truth of the woman's condition and the reality of her elusive daughter - Jenny.

As others have indicated, there is very little plausibilty as to why the mechanic would kill so many homeless people, unless they were had the mind of serial killer, something that is never communicated at all.

The finale is also a let down, by which point Id stopped caring about the protaganists, so that even their eventual adversal confrontation to shake out the truth meant very little.

I wouldnt worry if you miss it. The only notable mention is that Geoffrey Lewis does a good job playing the role of Butch the overprotective mechanic. Overall a let down.
MNT