Law & Order: Criminal Intent

Mad Hops

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM Jan 11, 2004 on USA

• No as good as recent episodes

7.1
    I really wanted to like this episode. It started off good, promising something different for CI, some violence to change the usual Gorenesque method of deciphering the tangled web of clues and pitting the suspects at the end.

Maybe thats why I was far from impressed at the result. The setting is certainly an eye opener. Dont think weve had school basketball team/school though weve had other school/ sports in the past.

The actual conflict between the coach and the potential star's mother just was not strong enough to warrant any connection from me. Because of this the pace of the episode seemed to stay in the mundane and the dialogue was just a bad.

In essence this episode could have been taken from any other week - but it lacked quality in all areas.
  • Det. Robert Goren is on the trail of a coach who goes over the line in an attempt to gain love and a family in one long "3 point shot".

Goren's normal partner is out having her baby, so the stand in is the butt of a few funny jokes by the kids playing B-ball, but she does well with the situations. Goren lets us into more of his private life, telling us he played High School B-ball and how it effected his father...very interesting. This is a window into one of the many different facets of Goren's twisted private life. He is unbelievable as a detective -- Sherlock Holmes recreated. The way he uncovers criminals is worthy of cheers -- we wish our real detectives were this good; there would be a lot less crime. Goren manages to catch the coach, and not even get upset when the coach calls him down on the carpet about his own life, hitting the detective's problems square on the head -- problems with authority and male figures being front and center. It is a fast paced show, even for this show's format. The ending, like all the Law and Order endings is a little too neat and fast -- in the real world I don't see criminals giving up as easy as they do on these shows. But it works and is very enjoyable.
  • A lonely high school basketball coach murders one of his players and a PI because he fears the mother of another player will learn he has been padding the stats of her son. Coach hopes a college scholarship will win him the love of the mom.

An interesting episode, that reveals that Goren played jv hoops, as a power forward (one can see him as a Charles Barkley "Round Mound of Rebound", for sure).

Other revealing aspects of our favorite detective's psyche are brought out in interaction with the high school coach, and in particular his attitude toward authority..the coach has mentored enough boys to know where they're coming from. He accuses Bobby of giving up the game because 'you didn't love it enough", and sure enough in the final scene Goren admits he discovered hoops wouldn't bring him what he wanted. (Good move, he evidently peaked at jv level).

Unfortunately for the coach, the detective has cornered enough rats to know what angles they spring from, too, and in this case, the old man was after his player's mom's affections. I liked that the love interest was inter-racial, even if it was unrequited.

Goren tosses and dribbles a basketball on a neighborhood court, but doesn't attempt any baskets. Too bad, Firefligh loves hoops and would love even more to see the power forward take one to the house. :)