Law & Order: Criminal Intent

Mad Hops

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM Jan 11, 2004 on USA

• Det. Robert Goren is on the trail of a coach who goes over the line in an attempt to gain love and a family in one long "3 point shot".

Goren's normal partner is out having her baby, so the stand in is the butt of a few funny jokes by the kids playing B-ball, but she does well with the situations. Goren lets us into more of his private life, telling us he played High School B-ball and how it effected his father...very interesting. This is a window into one of the many different facets of Goren's twisted private life. He is unbelievable as a detective -- Sherlock Holmes recreated. The way he uncovers criminals is worthy of cheers -- we wish our real detectives were this good; there would be a lot less crime. Goren manages to catch the coach, and not even get upset when the coach calls him down on the carpet about his own life, hitting the detective's problems square on the head -- problems with authority and male figures being front and center. It is a fast paced show, even for this show's format. The ending, like all the Law and Order endings is a little too neat and fast -- in the real world I don't see criminals giving up as easy as they do on these shows. But it works and is very enjoyable.