Law & Order: Criminal Intent

Maltese Cross

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM Oct 10, 2006 on USA

• An excellent episode!

I can't quite agree with those hard judgments on Wheeler, I start liking how Mike and her are getting to know each other and work together. I loved her face when Mike handed her the car keys when he learned they had to drive down to Philys. Didn't he say last time something about splitting the driving as the cabbies drive him crazy? I have to admit, she was not a big help in a fire house fight, but at least she called the back-up and what else was she supposed to do? To shoot her sidearm? Well, then it would have been much worse at the commissioner's board, I'd say. And whose idea it was to go to the gay bar? Hers, and finding the victim had actually been gay was intrinsic to the whole development of the episode. So, I don't think Wheeler is a weak part of the team. I like her.
  • In which nothing is quite as it seems in terms of an heroic firefighter and his activism.

This episode was really something of a gift, as far as I was concerned. Specifically -- a gift to those of us who've been paying attention. The acting and writing are subtle about it, but the events of the episode were clearly a deliberate reference to the events which originally got Logan kicked out of Manhattan homicide, lo these many years ago. Noth does a fantastic job of showing Logan not <i>quite</i> keeping all of those old issues under wraps, and, more than that? The episode shows that a lot of things have, actually, <i>changed</i> in the last twelve years, both within the Law and Order world and on a metatextual level. Even the scary Aryan-type (the guest star has, in fact, played a violent hatemonger in a previous episode of one of the Law and Order shows) is not precisely what he seems at first (or even second or third) glance. All of this, plus the flashback storytelling, made his is a subtle one, and a hopeful one, and a great one.
  • Greatest Chris Noth version of CI yet.

Great episode: NYPD vs. FDNY. I loved the new character who is clearly lacking in hand to hand training skills but I bet she holds the side-arm better. I am sort of perplexed by the way she called in the battery on herself and Logan...What is that thing-- some kind of Star Trek Nextel?

My only disappointment which has to do with 9/11 is that the fire department was clean. How many Law @ Orders have we seen when the police were on trial...and guilty.

How about the gay police episode where the cops deliberately put their guy in the line of fire. Are not
    the FDNY capable of the same? Get some guts writers.

Was great anyhow. Fav. Scenes: beginning/ and the review board room. Loved it.

jayd
  • Maltese Cross

Firefighter found stabbed to death. A fight breaks out between 2 people. A firefighter and a police officer. 3 firemen attacked Logan. Kids beat up a drag queen and Ian saved him. Kids go around beating up gay men. Ian was gay. He went to gay bars. Ian's wife was pregnant with his child. 3 month affair with a man. A similar case happened 12 years aog with an exact same senario. Police officer Logan confronts fellow firefighters to ask about the case and they go off. Wife did not know about him being gay. ex - boyfriend killed him.
  • Noth's gives great performance in hard heart felt episode...

Ok first Chris Noth showed just how great of an actor he really is and delivered one of his best. I think this episode showed a lot of CI fans he is just as great as Vince and a great addition to CI. And thank you for putting to bed once and for all that Mike is NOT gay and just because he doesn't have a problem with gays didn't make him one! I loved the way as classic CI they started at a pivotal moment and then replayed how they got there in small key peices then bring us back to catch they ending. Normally I am always on top guess who did it but wow I missed the gay killer this time even after they showed us him giving the victom a key wave during a protest. And I like the serial killer profile, to bad there was not more time to develop it more like past events and more killings. And it was a great chance for the new caption to show his loyalty to his "men" or staff etc... and his faith in Mike was nice for a change since Wheeler is his "man".
    And yah WHAT UP with "Wheeler"?!?!? Yes I think she did good when her and Mike where talking to the retired cop playing the "young" rookie but Noth way outshine her. But I mean come on she didn't do anything to help her partner!! She just stood there and what little she did attempt late in the fight was not worth showing. It just made her look worse. She is not worthy of CI status yet as far as I am concerned let alone to be put next to Mike as a partner. They really need to get him a partner that works well charector whys. I miss "Lenny"!! What a team! Mike seemed to be doing all the key plays and ideas during the episode. So either fix her charector or drop her before they ruin it. Chris Noth is really the only reason I watch every other week, so please!!! I think over all they did a pretty good job writing this episode with the feelings of loyality in both departments. However law enforcement is more know to "cover up" for their own then firefirghters and I think they over played putting both of our heros s/p 9/11 into a bad spot light for bit. I am happy they at least little time there was left showed the two working together! Reality is that all law enforcement, fire and rescue, and emergency services are protective of each other not just their own teams. NYFD is one of the best! Not only are they team memebers but friends and if they lose a team memeber they make sure that thier family is well taken care of as each department does in they won ways. A little more communication and helping each departement next time they try to write about us please.
  • Cops against Firemen and Noth has his butt blasted.

The story does not go in sequential order but they made it work and work well in this episode. They start out with the big fight between Noth and the FDNY where Noth gets beaten up pretty badly. Then they go back in time to tell us why this fight broke out. Turns out a fireman died and they expected one of his buddies from the firehouse. They then learn he was gay and his wife was pregnant so that became a touchy issue. Nobody in the firehouse had anything to do with the murder, rather it was his gay lover who killed him. I should not forget the chase which was rather nice to see for a change.
  • Logan get his butt kicked; Wheeler stinks

I can't seem to find a warm spot for Megan Wheeler. Whose idea was it to replace Barek? Bad choice...very bad. If it wasn't for Logan, I'd be watching L&O:CI every other week.

Hated seeing Logan get knocked around by FDNY. Watching Wheeler made me ill....was there not anything around the firehouse that she could have grabbed to help? She looked totally helpless as all she could do is yell "10-13". I saw her get up and try to fight but it was pretty lame.

Interesting storyline though. The fact that the firefighter was gay was not a surprise...I thought they would have it that way. I did not though, figure out who the murderer was (I'm bad at figuring this out). But it was a really good storyline.

The friction between the NYPD and FDNY totally believeable since it's true...but I'd like to believe that it wouldn't get to the point where it would be as bad as it was portrayed in this episode.

The gay firefighter with a wife and child on the way having an affair and the lover tricked into thinking the firefighter was in love with someone else. Good episode.
USA