Law & Order: Criminal Intent

Pas de Deux

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM Feb 15, 2004 on USA

• Pas de Deux is one of the true greats of Law & Order: Criminal Intent!

Pas de Deux is about a man who is struggling with prostrate cancer, and lures a married woman with children to rob banks for him by meeting and flirting with her at a dance class. This episode of Law & Order: Criminal Intent is truly a exceptional one. I loved all of the funny things that Goren did in this episode. He danced with both the woman (where the classes were being held.) He also danced with the man (in the interrogation room.) I thought it was soooo great at the end of the episode when Eames put the fake pills in his pocket and made the woman think he was trying to kill himself. This is one of my favorites!
  • One of the best this season

What I love about this show is Goren's insight into the human condition and the way he just picks up on anything.

This episode is strong in both. Medium to fast paced, the threat to an "innocent" provides an extra level of intensity that is usually missing in cop shows as the victim is already dead and the perpetrator most of the time isnt about to commit another crime anytime soon.

Main concepts are explained really well through dialolgue and scenes at different locations show alot about the relationship both "criminals" seem to be having.

The finale is excellently played out as Goren looks to deconstruct the pair's relationship revealing what is truly going on even to them. The twist towards the end and right at the end prove to be great moments from this season.

Enjoyably brings together the strongest elements of this show.
  • A man with not long to live is bent on suicide, stealing, and Svengali-like influence over a sheltered woman. Goren and Eames are faced with an unusual criminal who has nothing to lose and a seething sense of injustice over the hand fate dealt him.

This episode is intriguing on several levels.

The first is the idea that a man (played cunningly by Charles Rocket) given a prognosis of a few short months should choose to spend his final days playing Russian roulette not just with his own life, but force others unknowilngly into his game. I don't think it a far-fetched plot at all...I am sure when bitter disappointment meets denial meets rage at such injustice, some minds could turn so deadly. Perhaps we're lucky we don't find more terminally diagnosed offering themselves up as suicide bombers, and taking out as many as they can along with them.

The second is the effect a charming and worldly man can have on a woman who has been sheltered (and bored) all her life. The Eliza Doolittle-Pygmalion motif is overdone in literature and has become a cliche in film, but for an hour tv episode, this take was both believable and well sequenced. Leading the woman from running out on a cafe bill (geez, she never even experienced the thrill of college age 'chew-and-screw'), to lifting a pricey handbag, to revving up for a full blown bank heist, the scenes were perfectly measured for a growing fatal influence. As the woman's art instructor cliched, "she was a painting waiting to be brought to life".

And finally, there is D'Onofrio's characterization of Detective Goren, and the lengths he will take it.

I don't know what other actor, in what other role, would have even considered that dance scene with the criminal at the story's end. First you have to get over the notion that touching another man is effeminate, and then you have to get over the shock of seeing an actor VD'O's size literally ragdoll another fellow as tall as he in a makeshift waltz in an interrogation room. Freaking hysterical.

The point was how does it feel to be at the whim of a madman..lol..because that is exactly what the ill fated bank robber was, puppetizing his novices into crime and death.

You gotta love it. :)

PS RIP Charles Rocket, who went to school up in my neck of the woods (RISD), and was once in a legendary local band here. He was also briefly a news reporter before going on to acting and comedy. I was shocked and saddened to learn he committed suicide in 2005.
  • Pas de Deux is a fine example of what you should be careful of when meeting a charasimatic stranger. Even when you are depressed, you should always be on your guard. Never trust someone who you just met. The one good thing is that you can always count on

Pas de Deux. What an episode of tricks, twists, and fun. It just goes to show you. That no matter how charming, funny, charismatic a man might be, he might have something to hide or bring you in life threatning situation. It made me think when I met a friend who seemed really nice and sweet, but she had something to hide. Her past with her family, who turned out to be really crazy, especially her brother. He had a history with the police. The interrogation. Wow! A sleek, funny style of a dance betwwen the Detective and the perp. How fun and witty. Pas de Deux, it\'s French and it means a dance for two, especially a dance in ballet consisting of an entree\' and adagio, a variation for each dancer and a coda.