Law & Order: Criminal Intent

The Consoler

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM May 08, 2011 on USA

• A good mystery, with only enough information to keep you informed, without giving it all away.

This episode doesn't go over a new topic - church molestation scandal - but it does fit it into an episode in a fresh way. I gotta say: wow. Certainly a complex mystery. Without giving too much away: the victim might have killed herself, or might have been murdered. If she DID kill herself, then her friend made it look like a murder to protect her. IF she was murdered, however, then someone wrote a fake suicide note. But wait, there's more... Truly entertaining. And the killer was sympathetic and selfish all at once, although I think the motivation could have been explained just a bit better.

It was nice seeing Goren get analyzed by a shrink, but I think it was done incorrectly. It should have been cut in half. Towards the end of that scene the episode was becoming focused on the detective, instead of the detective's solving of the puzzle. I do think it was supposed to be linked to the episode, but I didn't see it. This, however, was forgivable. What wasn't forgivable was the scene between Goren and the Captain. That was melodrama, amplified by some strange, melodramatic music. I couldn't wait for that bad scene to end. It was poorly written and seemed more like a stunt just for the commercials and to get people who like USA-esque shows watching. That's not Law and Order. A little tension, with more tact, would have been fine, though.

Overall, this was a good episode, with distractions that don't distract too much.

P.S. Did you notice the stunt that was pulled at the tennis court? No, that was NOT Nicole Wallace.
MNT