Law & Order: Special Victims Unit

Authority

Aired Wednesday 9:00 PM Apr 29, 2008 on NBC

6.6
  • An episode that really blew me away!

This has got to be the best episode of SVU I have seen in a long time, if not the best episode ever. Robin Williams was perfect as a manipulative, demented engineer (Merritt Rook) who creates elaborate schemes in order to avenge wrongs done to him. He comes to the attention of SVU after he tricks a Happy Burger manager into strip searching a young female employee. He represents himself in the trial and not only gets away with it but develops a fan base (Sgt. Munch included)! The plot turns more sinister when they learn that Rook's wife and son died in childbirth and the doctor responsible soon died in a terrible car accident. Rook, impersonating a police detective, calls the doctor repeatedly, making him believe he would be charged with murder for their deaths. It puts the doctor over the edge and the doctor kills himself.

When they attempt to take Rook back into custody, he ends up kidnapping Olivia. He wants Benson and Stabler to atone for the police who didn't believe him when he was a boy trying to help a young girl who was sexually abused. The most powerful scene comes at the end between Stabler and Rook. I had chills and Robin Williams' voice was freaking me out! The only reason I didn't give this episode a perfect 10 is because my logic got in the way. There's never a good reason offered for why he targeted the Happy Burger to begin with. I don't buy that he would go to such extremes because he doesn't like processed foods. But more bothersome, he's deeply impacted by the sexual abuse of an 11 year old girl from his childhood. In fact, so impacted that he wants to get even with the police. However, he manipulates an adult man into strip searching a young teenage girl, getting him to remove her clothes and has the man touching the girl. It's not very plausible and takes away, slightly, from the brillance of the plot. But, hey, other than that, an absolutely amazing episode!!!
Sin