Law & Order: Special Victims Unit

Authority

Aired Wednesday 9:00 PM Apr 29, 2008 on NBC

6.6
  • Stabler and Benson engage in a war of wits against a man who uses his persuasive abilities to make people commit criminal acts.

This episode had the bar set really, really high. A; it's their 200th episode and B: Robin Williams was going to Guest star.

Right off the bat, we've got an interesting situation, a Fast-Food Manager who has been taken in by the guy on the phone and has committed crimes. Stabler said it very well, he was an idiot.

The episode progresses very well, leading us to Merrit Rook (Robin Williams) the character suit's the actor extremely well. We can see immediately that the character can talk his way out of nearly any hole he gets himself into. Much like the actor, with his uncanny ability for comedy. We are treated to Merrit using voices over the phone to deceive the detectives and then the great spectacle of seeing him defend himself in court.

Much was very well utilized this episode. Giving us the information of the original Milgram experiment, assisting in the investigation and participating in the Pillow Fight, something that was so perfectly in character for John Munch. It was a pleasure to see him used so well.

The final confrontation with Elliot and Merrit was very well executed even though it was very obvious to me that Olivia wasn't actually being shocked. If they were going to do it, they would show it. Even with that, the performances in that scene were magnificent, making it so it didn't matter that Olivia wasn't really being shocked.

A very wise decision was to leave Merrit's fate somewhat ambiguous. Even though Olivia believed that he had jumped into the water and would have invariably drowned, the fact that we didn't see that happens leave the door wide open for a return. Something which is not unprecedented for this series, Amy Solway and Darius Tutuola have made return appearances. I would very much hope that Merrit Rook joins their ranks at some point next season.

Overall, a spectacular hour of Television, here's hoping for another 100 episodes as great as this one.