Wednesday 9:00 PM on NBC

Olivia Benson's getting a new boss! Peter Gallagher and his eyebrows have landed a recurring role on Law & Order: SVU's upcoming 16th season.  

According to TV LineThe O.C. alum and Covert Affairs star will play Deputy Chief William Dodds, a charismatic but tough leader who's in charge of every special victims unit in New York City.

"I've wanted to write for and work with Peter Gallagher since... forever," showrunner Warren Leight said in a statement. "He's an actor's actor—deft with text and subtext; emotion and intellect. Like everyone else in our cast, he's also a great singer. We're all thrilled that this long into the show's run, actors of his quality want to do an arc on SVU."

What do you think of Gallagher's casting?

Law & Order: SVU returns Wednesday, September 24 at 9pm on NBC.

TV.com's 2014 Fall Preview: 
New Shows, Network Schedules, Trailers, and More

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 5/24/2017

Season 18 : Episode 21

24 Comments
Comments (24)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
Ya know, I used to not like him until he did the bit on Shameless. Funny, now I kinda dig him as an actor. Still think the eyebrows ala Bridges should go, but he's aged into them a bit.
Flag
Make Peter permanent. Dethrone Queen Bitch Olivia.
Flag
I think he'll be a good addition to the show. I wish he could be the precinct captain instead of a higher up. That would make him part of One PP, and I don't trust those guys.
Flag
I *might* be willing to start watching again.
Flag
The writers jumped the shark long ago for this show. Let's hope PG doesn't get bitten in the ass by it.
Flag
Olivia needs to retire. She should have gone last year.
Flag
She should've been jailed long ago.
Flag
Nothing against his acting but like so many actors these days, why can't he stick to one role at a time. He does just fine in Covert Affairs and he's somewhat believable. Where many go wrong is they become too many characters and as a result, they become less believable in any given role. Take a holiday, Peter!
Flag
the ratings say covert afffairs will be canceled so he is lining up his next gig .
Flag
Great news foe SVU, although after last season sucked I'm worried going forward.
Flag
I like the actor and it sounds like a perfect fit for how the character is described. I hope they won't link him with Liv on any other level than professional though.
And as a Rollins fan and knowing her backstory will surface at least a little it will be interesting to see how she approach this deputy chief seeing how she had trouble with her former in Atlanta.
Flag
Gallagher on SVU but he's not a smarmy rapist? What the hell? That's the perfect combination here. I dunno if I see him as a believable caring cop type, this feels like wonky casting akin to the changes on CI towards the end of its run.
Flag
Give it time. I'm betting that he'll be sexist to Olivia and try to force himself on her before season's end.
Flag
Oh man, that would be hysterically perfect for the new SVU! Great call.
Flag
I think it's good casting,looking forward to it.
Flag
are his eyebrows on the show aswell?
Flag
I believe they signed a seperate contract. More pay for the eyebrows is what I hear....
Flag
they deserve it
Flag
I concur! most talented eyebrows only second to Larry Hagman's
Flag
Hope this isn't a spoiler for the rest of the season of Covert Affairs since it sort of seems like Arthur might have been the target of the bombing attack. Yes, I know his car was full of people, but come on. Especially when it sort of looked possible they were trying to take out Annie in the Chicago attack (which just leads me to, is Henry Wilcox still at play even if he is dead - i.e, only thing I could think that links the two together, that, or Arthur's son).
Flag
I gave up on Covert Affairs after their trip to the terrorist infested mountains somewhere in a valley. That was just too ridiculous for me.
Flag
Yeah this whole season is just meh and it sucks since last season was kind of bad ass. The whole Annie with a heart condition thing is dumb, the whole I'm in love with a hooker side plot is annoying, and little baby Angus (don't know the kids name and don't want to) must be racking up the frequent nanny miles with as much as his parents work. Hell they even made Auggie seem like a creep this season.
Flag
I'm not liking this season's Covert Affairs.... Characters are becoming a bit too "Corny"....... for a lack of a better word.
Flag
You're not that far behind (like maybe two episodes) to catch up. I'm not sure how much better it was after that if you gave up at that point though. I tend to be a little eh about most USA series. Burn Notice I looked forward to, and I seem to enjoy the endless drama of Graceland. But this and White Collar I tend to be a little, eh, about, I enjoy them while watching them but a couple will end up gathering on my DVR.
Flag
Follow this Show
Members