Law & Order: Special Victims Unit

Debt

Aired Wednesday 9:00 PM Sep 28, 2004 on NBC

• Amazing.

I don't watch this show often, but from time to time, I stumble upon it on television. And one day, I've stumbled upon this episode. "Law & Order: Special Victims Unit" was always an amazing show, with interesting stories, and this episode is no exception.

The entire theme about Chinese women being kidnapped was amazing, and it is just soooo real. I always like to watch such an amazing episode.

Although it lasted only 45 minutes, it seemed like it lasted much more longer. I was hooked and amazed by the performance of each main star, mostly Elliott, Olivia, Diane and George.

However, I don't see much use of other characters such as the ones played by Ice-T & Richard Belzer. Anyway, this was an interesting episode, full of drama, crime and the bitter truth about the things that currently happen in the entire world. I totally recommend this episode.
  • The SVU detectives the disappearance of the mother of two young Chinese children. This leads an investigation into something even bigger.

A landlady calls the police when there is much crying from the apartment of tenant Jiao Wu. Finding her two daughters alone, SVU is called. George Huang learns from the Hannah, the eldest daughter, that she and her sister Susie have been alone for quite a while. Upon investigating, Benson and Stabler discover that she has been missing from her job, a sweatshop in Chinatown, as well. Jiao's sister, Li Mei, helps the detectives find out that Jiao's other daughter, Ping, is being used as a sex slave by a very bad man who deals in human trafficking. This episode really emphasized the plight of the Chinese workers brought to America at great risk to their lives. Similar to what happened to them in the late 19th century and early 20th century. When they come over, they can get ordinary jobs or be forced to be sex slaves. Either way, they must work until their debt is repaid. Appropriate episode title. Stabler was pretty invested in this case. This is one of my favorite episodes.
  • Law and Order Special Victims Unit!

When Benson and Stabler find two young children alone in their apartment, they begin to wonder where their mother is. Originally this looks like a case of child abandonment, but as the Detectives search for any living relatives for the children to be place with, they find that it is so much more than that. They are able to find Li Mei Wu, the girls aunt. She is able to help the Detectives by telling them that she owed a debt and that if she couldn't pay for it, they would kill her family. Jiao Wu had her older daughter brought to the United States by Ricky Yao. He needed to pay off the debt that it cost to smuggle her over. When she was unable to pay she was forced into sex slavery and later killed. With Li's help the Detectives are able to arrest Ricky Yao. This is a good episode. It shows you into the world of sweatshops. It is a big business but at the same time it is very illegal. This is an area of interest to me because I am a fashion major. Counterfeit goods are a harm to the industry. I loved the scene where Olivia was buying the fake purses.