Law & Order: Special Victims Unit

Debt

Aired Wednesday 9:00 PM Sep 28, 2004 on NBC

• Law and Order Special Victims Unit!

When Benson and Stabler find two young children alone in their apartment, they begin to wonder where their mother is. Originally this looks like a case of child abandonment, but as the Detectives search for any living relatives for the children to be place with, they find that it is so much more than that. They are able to find Li Mei Wu, the girls aunt. She is able to help the Detectives by telling them that she owed a debt and that if she couldn't pay for it, they would kill her family. Jiao Wu had her older daughter brought to the United States by Ricky Yao. He needed to pay off the debt that it cost to smuggle her over. When she was unable to pay she was forced into sex slavery and later killed. With Li's help the Detectives are able to arrest Ricky Yao. This is a good episode. It shows you into the world of sweatshops. It is a big business but at the same time it is very illegal. This is an area of interest to me because I am a fashion major. Counterfeit goods are a harm to the industry. I loved the scene where Olivia was buying the fake purses.
MNT