Law & Order: Special Victims Unit

Denial

Aired Wednesday 9:00 PM May 03, 2002 on NBC

• Law and Order Special Victims Unit!

When the Detectives of the Special Victims Unit are called to investigate a rape, they find that the victim is a heroin addict. They also find that she was carrying a decomposing finger in her purse. M.E. Warner is able to determine that the finger belonged to a baby. A DNA test proves that the finger is a match to the rape victim, Clarie. She admits that it belonged to her younger sister, Lisa. When Claire's mother, Grace, is seen dumping Lisa's body in a dumpster, the Detectives begin to suspect her of the crime.

This was a very interesting episode. It just goes to show you that people like Grace should not be allowed to have children. She had three children and two of them died in her care, and the only one to remain alive became a drug addict. It was nice to see Fin get attached to a victim. Normally you only see that happen to Benson and Stabler.
  • Fin takes interest in a rape victim who is addicted to heroin. Their case takes them far deeper when a baby\'s finger is found in her purse. The finger leads them to two murder cases, to which Claire is the key but not the perpetrator.

This episode got to me. SVU, although it has its chilling and emotional moments, does not usually make me cry. This episode made me cry. I at first found Martha Plimpton annoying, mostly because the first time I ever saw her was in \"Blind Spot\" as the perpetrator. However, when Claire is describing her mother\'s callous actions towards the baby, I felt tears sting my eyes and I got the chills. As the episode progressed, I found I was taken aback by the quality of Martha\'s acting. The gruesome personality of the mother was played perfectly by Mary Steenburgen, who really shook me with her final scene with her own mother (also a role played fantastically). What really made me love this episode was the way the episode ended- Ice-T showed me why he is an amazing actor with the gift he physically and metaphorically presented to Martha Plimpton. It was in that moment, just before her hug, that I was touched. Fin had seemed like a more distant character, only because the show is not centered around him. I think he has a lot of talent that is supremely underused, but in this episode, he showed me a lot. I was very impressed by Ice-T\'s acting, not only in his interactions with Martha Plimpton, but his interactions with the rest of the squad and Alex. The final scene was very emotional to me, and I thought that it was the perfect final scene to a very well-done episode. I would give this episode a 9.9 out of 10, its only fault being that it ended.
  • A deep, wide-ranging episode that focuses less on legal manipulations than on the interpersonal relationships of both the perps and the staff.

I personally normally dont particularly care as much about SVU as I do the normal "law and order". I find the sexual offenses to be far more twisted and jading. The straightforward nature of homicide seems to have more closure than the longitudinal effects of sexual abuse. But this particular episode is different in that it does not focus at all on a sexual case. Its tangential at best. This focuses on the interpersonal relationships of three women and the two murders that take place over a long period of time. L&O often reminds me of Dragnet in its simple portrayal of its characters, and the "mile wide, inch deep " method the script takes. This episode is a departure from that.

Every character gets involved here, and even personally. The acting is superb, and the story unfolds excruciatingly slowly, but without a huge twist. The episode's most poignant moments are between Fin and the junkie whose moments of silence speak far louder than anything they say.

This is one of the best L&O epi's i have seen.
NBC