Law & Order: Special Victims Unit

Folly

Aired Wednesday 9:00 PM Mar 23, 2001 on NBC

• What happens when a fantasy is taken too far?

When male prostitutes turn up beaten or worse in hotel rooms, Olivia, Elliot, and the rest of the SVU squad races to find out what is going on. The investigation takes a wide variety of turns from pimps, to doubts about the original victim, to identity theft. In the end the detectives discover the attacks are simply a "knight in shinning armor" fantasy taken way too far. The final scene between Olivia, Elliot, and one half of the criminal duo, was truly eerie. Upon hearing she would go to jail for her trespasses, the perpetrator lovingly strokes Elliot's arm and says, "you'll protect me... won't you?". The simplicity of the line along with the look of pure desperation on the woman's face made me cringe, and I saw her in a whole new light. A psych defense clearly exists for a reason. Some other great moments in the episode included the usual Munch and Fin sarcastic banter, a well-done debate between Elliot and Olivia, and a running storyline of asbestos testing that forces the detectives to begrudgingly move all of their belongings out into the hall. This episode loses points simply for lagging a bit in a few places, but I still thought it was very good. Therefore, I give this episode a nine.
Fat