Law & Order: Special Victims Unit Forums

Wednesday 9:00 PM on NBCBetween Seasons

"Justice Denied" Official Discussion (Spoilers)

layle1

[1]Apr 11, 2012
    • level: 72
    Please use this thread for all discussion of the episode "Justice Denied."
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Jemadari

[2]Apr 12, 2012
    • level: 12

All in all I really enjoyed this episode and once again Amaro proved himself the one willing to step outside the box but only after jumping on the bandwagon and bashing the guy

One expects a certain amount of realism from SVU and the whole arranging a copy cat thing is far less likely than having arrested the wrong guy in the first place and yet that was the first thing that popped into their minds, and while not germane it would have been nice if they had included some kind of throw away line about booking the guy they arrested who they were trying to get to implicate their main suspect

I have no issue with how the confession was obtained nor the fact that they gave his words of innocence no credence after he confessed but as a sheer matter of practicality if a confession got you 300 years you'd be better off not saying a single word and letting them prove their case

Initially I was taken aback by Ellis' decision to let his client stay in prison for an extra week for the sake of helping Olivia but now that I think about it, best case scenario he was looking at a new trial which the outcome wasn't certain but going the route he did meant a finding of innocence and if all else failed he could still take the trial and that was a well done nod to some kind of unspoken affection between Ellis and Liv

LII2

[3]Apr 12, 2012

Jemadari wrote:

well done nod to some kind of unspoken affection between Ellis and Liv

What affection? Nothing will come out of that, Olivia isn't interested in him. The writers aren't going to have her running to him, plus Andre's in a new show, so no I don't forsee a romance blossoming. Ugh, I can just throw up. There isn't anything romantic, they are friends. I'm sorry I can't agree. Romance isn't going to happen that would just be one big annoying soap opera which will ruin the show. ELLIS WRECKED OLIVIA'S RELATIONSHIP, BY STICKING HIS NOSE INTO WHERE IT DOESN'T BELONG.

I can see David and Olivia getting back together, Warren Leight says that they have HCJ slated for more episodes; probably means next season.

Jemadari

[4]Apr 12, 2012

LII2 wrote:

Jemadari wrote:

What affection? Nothing will come out of that, Olivia isn't interested in him.

The scene when she goes asking for extra time on the case and says "is there any part of this that's about him..and you..and me" clearly implies that she at least believes there is a possibility his feelings for her are something other than platonic

LII2 wrote:

The writers aren't going to have her running to him, plus Andre's in a new show, so no I don't forsee a romance blossoming. Ugh, I can just throw up. There isn't anything romantic, they are friends. I'm sorry I can't agree. Romance isn't going to happen that would just be one big annoying soap opera which will ruin the show. ELLIS WRECKED OLIVIA'S RELATIONSHIP, BY STICKING HIS NOSE INTO WHERE IT DOESN'T BELONG.

I can see David and Olivia getting back together, Warren Leight says that they have HCJ slated for more episodes; probably means next season.

This is kind of a non sequitur, once again I feel obligated to point out to you that my post are solely about what I say there is nothing implied in them, If I felt that the writers were trying to create some kind of love triangle or a new relationship between Ellis and Liv I would have stated as much but instead I simply acknowledged what was already there

Edited on 04/12/2012 1:25pm

83optics

[5]Apr 12, 2012
    • level: 6

learned:

* thought the circle on that rope guy's hand would lead to something later

* Fin has a way to avoid chasing after perps...

* i'll never watch Live With Kelly quite the same way again.

* subtly inquiring about a love triangle

* Liv's personal life is a Greek tragedy.

Edited on 04/12/2012 8:44am

blackcat1366

[7]Apr 12, 2012
    • level: 7

LII2 wrote:

Jemadari wrote:

What affection? Nothing will come out of that, Olivia isn't interested in him. The writers aren't going to have her running to him, plus Andre's in a new show, so no I don't forsee a romance blossoming. Ugh, I can just throw up. There isn't anything romantic, they are friends. I'm sorry I can't agree. Romance isn't going to happen that would just be one big annoying soap opera which will ruin the show. ELLIS WRECKED OLIVIA'S RELATIONSHIP, BY STICKING HIS NOSE INTO WHERE IT DOESN'T BELONG.

How exactly did Ellis wreck Olivia and David's relationship? He had an obligation to his client first. Besides, he did give Olivia the chance to make the situation right by finding the real rapist. It shows that he has integrity and that he is a true friend. ( I agree that there is no chemistry) Liv and David's relationship was mutually ended because Daviid accepted the postion as head of the committee to review old cases which would involve Liv's old cases. They both knew that it would be a conflict of interest and could not work. The only way that I can see it working is if one of them quits their position or gets transfered. Too bad. I really wan't this to work. Good episode. Nice to see justice prevail. Too bad it took eight years.

watcher1006

[8]Apr 12, 2012
    • level: 10

I definitely enjoyed this episode.

Regarding Olivia and Bayard, I've always seen their relationship as one of mutual respect and understanding. When Olivia realized her mistake and was kicking herself with recrimination, he tried to tell her that she wasn't "one of the boys" by eliciting a false confession - that she was just doing her job and that she was now trying to make things right. Ellis knew that the relationship that Olivia and David had wasn't going to change how they acted regarding the case, but he had to do what he could to help his client if it appeared that there would be a delay in his release. All THREE of them wanted him released ASAP but it was a complicated case with lots of evidence against the man and there was inevitably a "process" that needed to be followed.

I really don't think that Bayard Ellis wanted to interfere in Olivia and David's relationship if he didn't have to. I don't think Bayard and Olivia have any romantic feelings toward each other but he values his friendship with her and vice versa. It was curious however, that Olivia wondered about the nature of their relationship enough to ask Bayard in his office if her romance with David in and of itself was affecting Bayard's actions in the case, a question which Bayard firmly answered in the negative - "you know me better than that" and she does.

A minor criticism I have of the plot is one of Bayard Ellis drawing a conclusion about Olivia and David when he learned about the fact that they had met at night. I think that he suspected something was going on before this episode but I wonder if he actually had enough to bring up that relationship in the courtroom. Of course it's not a "beyond a reasonable doubt" standard of proof to assert a conflict of interest, but a lawyer can't go making entirely unsubstantiated allegations against officers of the court.

ChrisGreen1751

[9]Feb 2, 2014
    • level: 8

Hello 83optics, just answer my question: In 2004, before police interrogated Omar, how could they not even check the actual evidence so they can compare It with Evidence Logs & it's true that the Officer who collected Evidence wrote wrong detail on Evidence Logs?

Edited on 02/02/2014 1:37am
    Edited 2 total times.