Law & Order: Special Victims Unit Forums

Wednesday 9:00 PM on NBCIn Season

Mariska Hargitay Interview - UK Hallmark channel website (small spoilers)

SVU4ever

[1]Oct 6, 2008
    • level: 7

After trying out the season 9 promotional game (which I too suck at, 58% haha) I checked out the Hallmark website for SVU in the UK. I stumbled across an exclusive interview with Mariska Hargitay that I thought you guys would like to see. She talks about season 9 and 10, and it must have been pretty recent because she mentions the emmy that Cynthia Nixon won.

SHIPPERS! - I encourage you to check out question four...not that I really care all that much

During season 9, there is an episode called "Undercover", which sees you going undercover in search of a rapist. How was it appearing as a victim yourself?

I was nominated for an Emmy© for this episode. It was actually the most difficult episode I have ever filmed in my life. It took me a long time to recover from this episode, and if I was going to show an assault, I was going to show it in all its horror and all its pain, I went to another place.

Benson is very dedicated to her job, and as a result lets it take over her life. Do you find playing such an intense character has a big impact on your life?

It's been a great journey, people say are you bored? I say no I'm not; it's one of the best crime dramas in the world. Not only entertaining but educational too. The role, of course gets me down and this is why I started my own foundation for sexual assault. The show is relentless, we shoot 15 hour days and sometimes on a Saturday too. There was no outlet for me before I started my family, but my 2 year old can take me out of anything! Back then everything was new and I never had to deal with this subject matter - I was getting hit from every angle. People started writing with me and sharing their stories and I realised that a lot of women and men don't think they have anywhere to go.

SVU features crimes which are of a disturbing nature ? do you still read your scripts and feel shocked by the content and do you separate your character and the actual subject matter?

All the shows are based on truth. So when I started the show I took part in rape counselling. I wanted to know more about the victims and become more equipped. Looking at the statistics I decided that I wanted to do more about it. 1 in 4 women are victims.

SVU is very popular in the UK on the Hallmark Channel and is consistently the highest rated show on the channel. Do you have a message for the UK Hallmark Channel fans?

Keep on watching, it gets better and better - we are all on fire! It's so successful still because we all care as if it was the first ever episode we are filming. Every episode we do we want it to be the best - everyone cares so much, and that makes for a good show. People care about the crime and the show, SVU is like a good book it pulls you in, it draws you in, and you relate to it. It's not a glitzy take on TV, like a lot of the shows are. It's truthful TV. Season 9 there are a lot of great scenes with Chris Meloni and in the next season it gets "sexy" with Benson and Stabler, it's an undercover job, so you have to keep watching.... Also we have great guest stars coming up in season 9; don't miss Cynthia Nixon, she won an Emmy© for her performance.

hmm... so were getting "sexy" in season 10? I've heard a lot of stuff like that, but that was the first time Mariska REALLY confirmed it I think.

I really like this interview and found it very interesting. Mariska is just the sweetest person in the world!!! AHHHh I want to be her best friend haha well enjoy! I'm gonna go back to that stupid promotional game

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

vaulfy

[2]Oct 6, 2008
    • level: 29
    Give me a second to die please lol YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY

ITPROF4U

[3]Oct 7, 2008
    • level: 12

Hmmmm.....SEXY!!!!

arabesque01

[4]Oct 7, 2008
    • level: 5

hmm... so were getting "sexy" in season 10? I've heard a lot of stuff like that, but that was the first time Mariska REALLY confirmed it I think.

It's actualy the second time we've heard this. When Ryan Seacrest asked about E/O's relationship heating up at the Emmy's, Mariska responded, "They are heating up. Well, we find ourselves in some very precarious situations this year. Um....I'm not sure how I feel about it... I'm kind of excited about it. Is that wrong?"

Edited on 10/07/2008 5:42pm