Law & Order: Special Victims Unit Forums

Wednesday 9:00 PM on NBCBetween Seasons

SVU Casts Adam Baldwin as Cragen's Replacement!

ram47

[1]Jul 23, 2012
    • level: 18

http://www.tvguide.com/News/Law-Order-SVU-Adam-Baldwin-1050356.aspx

July 22nd, 2012
    by Adam Bryant

It may take longer to unwind last season's Law & Order: Special Victims Unit cliff-hanger than we thought.

SVU has cast Chuck and Firefly alum Adam Baldwin to play Capt. Steven Harris, the squad's new interim captain, TVGuide.com has learned exclusively. He will take over the duties usually handled by Capt. Donald Cragen (Dann Florek), who is suspected of murder after he was last seen waking up next to a dead prostitute in SVU's Season 13 finale.

Baldwin's character is slated to appear in the new season's first three episodes while Cragen's fate is being determined. Needless to say, Benson (Mariska Hargitay) and the rest of the team are none-too-pleased to be taking orders from the new guy.

Baldwin's character will join previously announced guest star Paget Brewster, who will play the head of the Public Integrity Unit, which is handling Cragen's case for the District Attorney's office. Laura Benanti, Pippa Black, Peter Jacobson, Ron Rifkin, Brooke Smith, and Dean Winters are all expected to reprise their roles from the finale as well.

Besides his work on Chuck and Firefly, Baldwin has also recurred on such series as The X-Files and Angel. His most recent guest work includes gigs on Castle and Leverage.

SVU returns with a two-hour premiere on Wednesday, Sept. 26 at 9/8c on NBC.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

watcher1006

[2]Jul 25, 2012
    • level: 10

But I hope that this doesn't mean Dann Florek is leaving the show altogether. If that happens, I will miss the character of Cap. Donald Cragen. Besides being with the show from the beginning he has been with the Law & Order franchise since the first season of the original L&O, way back in 1990, before many of the fans of the current L&O SVU were even born. He's very much the link to the origin of the series and the franchise.

ram47

[3]Aug 3, 2012
    • level: 18

watcher1006 wrote:

But I hope that this doesn't mean Dann Florek is leaving the show altogether. If that happens, I will miss the character of Cap. Donald Cragen. Besides being with the show from the beginning he has been with the Law & Order franchise since the first season of the original L&O, way back in 1990, before many of the fans of the current L&O SVU were even born. He's very much the link to the origin of the series and the franchise.

Baldwin was signed as a temporary replacement while Cragen is being investigated for the murder of the prostitute found in his bed. Baldwin has signed for 3 episodes after which we should know the outcome of Cragen's fate. I doubt that Florek is leaving.