Law & Order: Special Victims Unit Forums

Wednesday 9:00 PM on NBCIn Season

What haappened to Munch?

mizncis

[1]Apr 10, 2011
    • level: 4

I'm just wondering what happened to Munch haven't seen him in a long while is he sick? or is having contract disputes.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

ram47

[2]Apr 11, 2011
    • level: 19

mizncis wrote:

I'm just wondering what happened to Munch haven't seen him in a long while is he sick? or is having contract disputes.

As I mentioned in a previous thread Munch will appear in "Delinquent" a Fin/ Munch episode which is scheduled to air on May 11th.

iluvethecamdens

[3]Apr 15, 2011
    • level: 8

Yeah I was wondering that too. It's good Munch isn't completely gone he's hilarious

poulters

[4]Nov 10, 2011
    • level: 18

is munch coming back

LII2

[5]Nov 10, 2011
    • level: 12

poulters wrote:

is munch coming back

Yes he is, just because he wasn't in this episode doesn't mean anything. He was in the last episode, before this one. Just because he's in it doesn't mean he has to be in every episode. Some are written without some of the cast members. Time allowances or the fact that they want to focus their attention on the other characters.

watcher1006

[6]Nov 15, 2011
    • level: 10

LII2 wrote:

poulters wrote:

is munch coming back

Yes he is, just because he wasn't in this episode doesn't mean anything. He was in the last episode, before this one. Just because he's in it doesn't mean he has to be in every episode. Some are written without some of the cast members. Time allowances or the fact that they want to focus their attention on the other characters.

Agreed. Anyway I think that Richard Belzer's character has always had a secondary role in this show. Certainly he has never been featured to the extent that Benson and Stabler have. He has been absent from a number of episodes over the past several seasons. In fact it had been my impression that we were seeing him and Ice-T somewhat more in the early part of this season, with Stabler's departure. Now perhaps the show will focus more on the new characters but I still think he'll have at least as important a part in this season as in recent seasons past.

ram47

[7]Nov 15, 2011
    • level: 19

Munch has been featured in almost every episode so far in Season 13. Warren Leight stated that due to the departure of Stabler, Munch & Cragen would be featured much more and we have seen that. Also, the group pairings have varied from episode to episode.

watcher1006

[8]Nov 15, 2011
    • level: 10

ram47 wrote:

Munch has been featured in almost every episode so far in Season 13. Warren Leight stated that due to the departure of Stabler, Munch & Cragen would be featured much more and we have seen that.

That makes sense. In recent seasons we have seen Munch transition into kind of a senior detective role, having made sargent. That doesn't mean he just sits at his desk and gives orders and doesn't work cases, he certainly is still a detective, but we've seen him repeatedly offer friendly tips to Amaro which fits in with his veteran status.

ram47 wrote:

Also, the group pairings have varied from episode to episode.

Fin has teamed with Munch but has also been working in the field with Rollins quite a bit this season. And Nick Amaro did call Olivia "partner" in the episode "True Believers" but it seems to me that he is not her standard partner the way Elliot was.

LII2

[9]Nov 15, 2011
    • level: 12

watcher1006 wrote:

And Nick Amaro did call Olivia "partner" in the episode "True Believers" but it seems to me that he is not her standard partner the way Elliot was.

[/QUOTE]

He'll never be, the writers didn't intend him to be the same partner that El was to Liv.