Law & Order: Special Victims Unit

Aired Wednesday 9:00 PM May 02, 2003 on NBC

• Help Me Please

I found this question on a ship.

In the interrogation room, why couldn't the detectives arrest Perry for raping Vanessa?
  • I disagree with ChrisGreen1751

Ray Bevins did the right thing to get his daughter's rapist (Perry Williams) off the streets (so he wouldn't rape again; Vanessa's diary, the Rape Crisis Center, and Perry's history of sadism proves that he did it), but he also did the wrong thing to kill him. Alex Cabot-- I understand why she did not accept Donna Emmett's plea offer of manslaughter-2 and probation. Whether or not Perry was innocent until proven guilty (but he was nowhere near innocent), the result of Ray's trial still would've been the same, since he killed Perry out of retaliation.

There is a right way and a wrong way to do the right thing. What Ray did was the right thing, the WRONG way.

But at least Ray took his conviction well.
  • opinion

in my opinion, since Alex didn't give plea bargain to Ray, I think that it's because Ray killed Perry whose Guilt hadn't been Proven Legally. Before Ray killed Perry, Perry didn't specifically say if he raped Vanessa. Does anyone know for sure why Alex refused to give Plea Bargain to Ray?
  • The father inside Elliot is shown as he sympathizes with a father put on trial for killing his daughter's rapist.

This episode was done to near perfection. The only thing missing was Olivia. I could have used some more scene with her in them. On the positive, however, Christopher Meloni really got to shine as Elliot in this episode. Being a father and having fantasized about killing rapists himself, Elliot's judgment is called in question as he identifies with a man who killed his daughter's rapist, after she killed herself. In a real tearjerker of a scene, Elliot confronts the man after he killed the rapist. The man has gun in his hands, saying now he just wants to be with his daughter. Elliot has to talk him out of it, saying some of the nicest thing I've heard him say. It was really unnerving to see Elliot so shook up and so invested in the case to the point he actually had tears in his eyes. This was an outstanding episode due to Christopher. Somebody get this man an Emmy!
  • Stabler puts his career on the line

Great story and great sacrifices make this a plot full of jeopardy for Stabler and the victim of the father.

A good first act quickly puts us in the middle of a the murder/rape of a normal well thought of young woman. The apparent barbarity of the attack will make you side immediately with Stabler who does a great job of hook our emotional tendons into his way of thinking. This sets up an intriguing story of mixed emotions as we discover the apparent young woman was not what her fathers view of her was. Furthermore, the dynamic of submission to her brutal antaganist is well demonstrated by the script, and the acting. Stabler has a good few scenes in the middle act that provides a good source sympathy which setups up for a truly tragic finale - one that LO:SVU does very well.

A superior episode from this franchise.
  • Law and Order Special Victims Unit!

When Vanessa Bevins is found murdered outside of the club she worked at, it is up to Detective Stabler to notify her father. With the evidence that a rape occurred, they start the investigation looking for Vanessa's killer. What they find was that she was in fact raped, but it occurred two weeks prior to her death. Her death was ultimately ruled a suicide, but her father still wants the man who raped her to be held responsible for her death, because he is the reason she pulled the trigger. And when the Special Victims Unit are unable to help him, he takes matters into his own hands.

This was a good episode. You could see that Detective Stabler was getting close to the case, because he would have felt the same way that Ray Bevins did if it was one of his daughters who was hurt. On one hand I understand that Ray should be held accountable for his actions, but at the same time I can understand why he would feel like it was his responsibility to take matters into his own hands.