Law & Order: Special Victims Unit

Hammered

Aired Wednesday 9:00 PM Oct 14, 2009 on NBC

7.6
  • Bitch In Stereo

Paxton and Benson two man hating bitches.
  • SVU is flatlined... Is it too late for CPR?

I have been watching SVU since season 4, I bought the rest on DVD. I am THAT CLOSE to stop this habit. that close.
    What has happened to this "once upon a time it used to be great" show?

It began at season 7.
    First I thought it was bad writing to cover Mariska's pregnancy absence.
    Then I had this feeling that Chris and Mariska went way too vain and wanted the scripts to be ALL about them.
    After that it went to a phase of having guest stars with just great performances over AWFULL scripts.
    Nowdays I feel like the stories are addressed to... 10years old kids.
    What all this have in common? BAD writing.
    Do the producers aim to another audience with low IQ? Cause they sure act this way.

(SPOILERS)
    Take for example this story which is about alcoholism. We pretty much have a guy who is so wasted he doesnt even remember if he killed a woman found brutally murdered in his place. A fact that by itself is enough to make a point. But no, for the SVU creators we are apparently 6yo in mental age and we don't get it. So lets make the ADA alcoholic as well and get her drunk to the court room to prove HOW bad alcoholism is.
    I FELT BAD for the actress. It was embarrassing to watch Lachti trying to support SUCH a weak story. Actually it has been embarrassing to watch her trying to support such a weak and exaggerating role from the beginning of her SVU days.
    I am not from USA but I wonder if its allowed for ADAs over there to be SO hysterical and emotional driven in expense of their own cases. Her character was closer to a soapopera villain than to a primetime quality drama.

I will watch 2-3 more episodes. If this mess keeps going I am DONE with it. IT was a nice ride for 7 seasons but having my intelligence get insulted for 4 years now overcomes the limits of my tv-masochism. I'm afraid my loyalty to this show is history.
  • Another great episode.

I will have to say after watching the show for years, his season has been great. Last season as well, every episode has had a differernt ending then I expected. I always fond myself standing up to see how it ends. This episode was great considering the subject. Drinking is a big problem and I liked the the way they used it in this episode. I did not expect to see the ending with Paxton(sp?), very interesting when I was just starting to like her. It brought somthing different to the show the way the squad did not get along with her. Well see what next episode brings
  • this episode could have been good but instead it was just ridiculous.

5.3
    Hammered was another disappointing episode for season 11. So, let's start.

- okay storyline involving the alcoholic who claims he couldn't remember about what happened... too much predictable he was really the guilty one, but I didn't care for this
    - they tried to deal with two different big issues in one episode??? this was a salade. they were talking about abortion and alcoholism at the same time? they must be running out of ideas, huh?
    - I enjoyed seeing Paxton drunk in the court but.... the whole thing was just too forced. we never saw this coming and then they invent this ridiculous explanation and this ridiculous end for the character.
    - one thing I really liked was Benson visiting her mother's grave. it was nice they bring those old memories again... but this episode had so many fails I can't give a good score for it.
  • The plot was not good. Paxton didn´t fit with the show.

3.5
    The plot was not good at all. There should be better ways of having Paxton out of the show since she has never fitted in. In other episodes the problems with liquor had already been dealt with and in much more credible ways. It is a pity that this season is trying to be more psychological than any other thing. It is curious that in this episode they haven´t asked for the help of Dr. Huang (and this is a part of the poorness of the plot). In any case, it is interesting to see that somehow the show is more inquisitive about the attitudes of D.As.
  • What a relief ... Sonya Paxton is gone.

I gave this episode an 8, not because it is all that wonderful (it is actually rather pedestrian) but because it showcased the downfall and exit of Sonya Paxton.
    I do like Christine Lahti quite a bit and saw her when she was promoting "Housekeeping" at the Vancouver Film Festival that year. I also enjoyed her in "Jack and Bobby". However, her arc here was Christine Lahti in overdrive to the extreme. For me her Sonya Paxton was the most annoying character anywhere in recent memory; it was cringe inducing. Can anyone actually tell me that they liked that shrill, histrionic, man hating, incompetent and abusive woman? Can you tell me that you are not relieved she is now gone? It is doubtful to me she would have lasted five minutes in that capacity in real life. The sudden plot turn in this episode revealing that she was a hapless alcoholic seems to be a cop out to my mind, but at least it provided a much needed exit.
  • Lahti was the only saving grace.

1.5
    This is probably the worst episode of SVU I have ever seen, save for Christine Lahti. The writing was appallingly heavy handed and seeing everything in black & white. Twists could be seen from miles away.

I know lots of people are pro-choice. I'm fine with other people's opinions. But it seems like anti-abortion people in tv shows & movies are always portrayed and fundamentalist dangerous religious nutcases.

The writing on the show has been a bit lazy for a few years now. They need some sort of shake up or zip. They found it some last year when Stephanie March came back.
  • So long Lahti, bring on Stephanie

And it's about time this screwball ADA showed her true colors. A very fact-filled episode on how drinking is Not a disease. Some very tough moments for Benson; was like re-living what she went through with her mother (very nice touch at the end) and Cragen with his own achololic demons. The fact that drunks sometimes pass out does not and should not excuse their behavior even when it comes to murder is the best lesson learned in this episode. Interesting re-enactment through animation; one wonders if that will catch on in the real world. So let's bring on Alex, someone who is actually familiar with the way SVU operates.
  • Wasn't one of my favorites but it was still pretty awesome

5.5
    This wasn't one of my favorite episodes ... it was pretty predictable up until the end. I never liked the lawyer lady but it was still pretty insane. I hated the way she treated everybody ... although it was a nice change of pace for the show, I'm glad she's gone. Her little speech at the end was nice to hear also.
    I'm happy with where the shows going this season, and I love the new look of it as well. Hopefully it just gets better from here, which I'm sure it will because it always does right? All together I give it around a ... 6 and I am seriously looking forward to next weeks episode!
  • Episode 1104.

Scott Foley guests on yet another Law and Order: Special Victims Unit this season to feature a big name one-off appearance.

The episode was intriguing, but I think we all were able to predict that Foley's character was in fact guilty. Fortunately, there was a nice twist with the super annoying lawyer finally getting vengeance and being removed from the show. Nobody liked her so I think that everybody welcomes her removal. I did enjoy the way she was removed though, it was very unexpected and very un-Law and Order.

Good episode, although not great, like some we have been getting recently.
  • A man wakes up in his appartment with a dead body in there and no recollection of what happened. Benson and Stabler investigate and everything points to the man being guilty. But the ADA screws up bad and in the end there is a mistrial.

This was a very good episode. The best so far for this season. The whole debate about alcholism and addiction was very interesting. The acting was also great. I like the guy from The Unit this episode. What did suprise me about was the sudden alcohol problem of the ADA. Off course we already new she was only on board for a few episodes but the alcohol thing kind of came out of the blue. But again the acting was great. I loved the scene were the ADA comes to apologize. They made us hate her since the start but to see her vulnerable like that was different. The pace of the episode was also good and it was wel written. It just worked out really wel. I am hoping for more episodes like this during the rest of the season.
Raw