Law & Order: Special Victims Unit

Legacy

Aired Wednesday 9:00 PM Nov 10, 2000 on NBC

• Everyone points the finger at someone else.

This episode made me really appreciate how well Richard Belzer plays his part of John Munch. This episode featured him more than usual, as he was the one who worked a confession out of the perpetrator. Then he had an excellent scene with Olivia when he revealed a little of his past. It was so played by Richard Belzer that when he began crying, I did too. It was very sweet and poignant to see a soft side of Munch that made the viewers realize just how much he really does care about the victims, which is something usually saved for Olivia and sometimes Elliot. I'm glad he got to shine in his role. Another plot line that was great was the complicated "who dunnit" situation. It started with a plethora of potential suspects, each one pointing the finger at someone else that had to be sorted through by the overwhelmed detectives. All in all a very good episode.
  • Finally, a little emotion from one of the more stoic members of the SVU.

I loved this episode. Now, I realize I say that about the majority of this series, but this time I seriously mean it. The fact that a mother could allow such a thing to happen right under her nose...

Anyway, the main point I wanted to make (since I don't actually remember most of the episode, considering how late it was when I sat down to watch it) was that Munch finally showed some emotion. All right, so he occassionally lets something slip about himself, but that happens very, very rarely. I was so glad to see that the writers decided to add a scene where he really talks about his past, instead of just brushing everything off with a joke instead of a real answer.
  • An amazing episode for Munch

Wow. This episode was amazing. I loved it when Stabler said "we are trying to get you out of here!!" to that guy, like "what an idiot." I often find the cast of SVU extremely talented, but most never get a chance to show it off. Fin got his chance in Inheritance and Rooftop, Warner in Blast, and so on. Munch us just one of those underused actors, but in this episode, he got a chance too show what he can do. I never usually cry watching episodes. Don't know why, but I don't. However, when Munch told that story about that little girl, I was sobbing. This episode was amazing!
  • Law and Order Special Victims Unit!

When a young girl, Emily, is found injured with signs of abuse, the Detectives of the Special Victims Unit first turn their sights on those closest to her. He father and her step father become to lead suspects in the investigation. When new evidence proves that niether of them could have commited the abuse, the detectives have to search the other members of her family. Their investigation leads them to suspect Emily's step brother Justin. When his alibi checks out there is no one left to point the finger at except her mother. This isn't one of my favorite episodes of the series. I had to watch it several times before I could focus my full attention on it. That is very unusual for me when watching Special Victims Unit. Normally, it is the only thing that I can focus on.
  • Munch

I love that they gave Munch a very emotional stake in this case, I always wonder how sometimes these detectives can keep themselves so closed off and univolved. Especially Munch, he is so sotic and remains so professional. But you could see that it was getting to him a lot over the course of the entire episode, culminating with a slight emotional break down near the end of the episode. I particularly loved his story about the abused girl who would wait for him when he was a teenager, trying to tell him something, and how he thought he almost didn't help her again. That was really a sad moment.