Law & Order: Special Victims Unit

Pique

Aired Wednesday 9:00 PM May 04, 2001 on NBC

• Dr. Huang is in the Building 4 A Creep

Benson and Stabler investigate the rape and murder of a married software employee with a fetus. They bring in her co-worker, who quit his job recently for questioning. And look who's in to assist, Dr. George Huang, a shrink from the FBI. He tells the team that the guy hates women. Then, evidence revealed he had a affair with her, and wanted to break it off. It also revealed, he'd stabbed her after he got news that she was carrying his seed. But here's a shocking motive, he's having a sexual relationship with his controlling, overbearing, socialite mother (Margot Kidder)! YUCK! After his arraignment, he goes back to his mama's house and kills her saying he's not a little boy anymore.

This episode has some stars. Margot Kidder form the 'Superman' franchise, and Chad Lowe from some 90's show, 'Life Goes On'. This marks the first appearance of . Wong as Dr. Huang. His performance is a little stiff and had glasses on. The next episode is the doctor viewers had seen.
  • In a world of dull, repetitive television programs, SVU trumps them all again.

This episode is a perfect representation of why I watch this show. Not only was it original, but to this day I have not seen another show copy this plot. Now, "Pique" is one of those episodes that you catch parts of at different times, but it takes a while before you can actually sit down and watch the entire thing. At least, that's the way it was with me. I kept catching the last three or five minutes, and, needless to say, I was very confused. However, once you watch the entire thing (as is to be expected), everything falls into place.

I actually got chills when watching this episode. Given, I've seen the entire thing about three times now and parts of it considerably more, but nothing seems to change from time to time. As a matter of fact, I had to watch it again the other day because scenes were running through my head and wouldn't stop until I did. Chad Lowe gives a chilling performance as Jason Mayberry, especially near the end when the detectives have him in interrogation. It was certainly a nice change from his previous role on ER as yet another annoying doctor who wasn't worth his salt.

The concept of piquerism, a paraphilia where a person obtains sexual gratification by stabbing, cutting, biting and otherwise piercing the skin to draw blood from his victims, is a fascinating one. The idea to use hat pins to achieve said means was a brillant move on the writers' parts.

In short, it was a great episode with a great plot to boot.
  • Mother, son, victim, and a thousand different twists and turns in this episode to keep the good detectives guessing.

This is a fine example for the great storylines in Law and Order: SVU. The acting and the plot were done without a hitch, and it was dramatic enough to keep anyone on the edge of their seat. Once again this is an amazing episode, but despite everything it does have it actually doesn't really have any character development.

When the case starts out it looks like a cut and dry revenge attack because of her job. It's not until later that we discover that the crime was less about the victim and much more about the attacker; who gives them and even more startling and disturbing motive behind this murder. Later after all the confusion is solved and the perp confesses legal setbacks gives this episode a very different and more gruesome ending.
  • Creepy creepy creepy

SVU is a series that deals with repulsive issues week after week. This is the first episode to make me nauseous, and that's a good thing. This episode is riviting from start to finish and I especially liked Margot Kidder as the mother.
    Brilliant Casting. The regular cast is at their best especialy Chris Melloni and B.D. Wong. The intereigation scene is one of the best in the shows history. The writers out did themselves. The subject mater of this episode could have very easily become unbelievable or even laughable, but due to the talented writing, this episode is definitely one of the best.
  • Law and Order Special Victims Unit!

Thirty four year old Veronica Tandy is found strangled and stabbed. She was also seven weeks pregnant at the time of her death. Benson and Stabler begin the investigation by questioning those she knew at work. They find out that a former security guard named Jason Mayberry was a close friend of hers. After questioning Jason and searching his apartment the detectives determine that he is the perp they are looking for. He killed Veronica becaus she withdrew the Police Academy recommendation that she submitted on Jason's behalf. It seems that Jason's mother kept her son a little to close for comfort. Jason added her to his list of victims just before he was arrested.

This was a decent episodes. It isn't one of my favorite episodes but it was midly interesting from from the start to the finish.
  • A very twisted perp!

In one of the best interrogation room scenes, Elliot chips away at a perp until he finally breaks. It was great to see Chris Meloni go through a wide variety of emotions and police tactics in just a short period of time. Using all of his cunning and skill, Elliot works and works to get a confession out of a clearly disturbed man. After hours of trying, the perp finally breaks down in a haunting and disturbing confession. It was an amazing and well-done scene that took a close look at just what makes a rapist into who they are. I missed seeing Olivia in her usual front and center role, but I genuinely enjoyed the introduction of George Huang. Slightly pompous but still very kind, Huang made a great first impression. I highly recommend this episode.
Raw