Law & Order: Special Victims Unit

Wednesday 9:00 PM on NBC Premiered Sep 20, 1999 Returning September 24th, 2014

layle1

Law & Order: Special Victims Unit Fan Reviews (422)

• Just keeps getting better and better

I have been a fan of SVU from day one. I always record the show so I never miss an episode!

Mariska is a terrific actor! When Christopher Meloni left the show I thought that was it. As these two actors worked so well together. However, I am loving the new cast more and more with every episode! Ice-T has always been the bomb. Danny and Kelli bring their own unique experience and have seamlessly fit right it. Raul as the new ADA is the icing on the cake. I love his character! I also love the way he interacts with the other cast members especially Mariska. Keep up the good work. I love SVU!
  • Perfect for the nostalgic era

I can honestly admit, this is one of the most compelling crime-dramas that have ever aired on television. What separates this crime-show from many others is the depiction of realism. As a reviewer mentioned below me " So many crime dramas try and paint the world black and white: the "good cops" versus the "bad In SVU, sometimes the cops use disgraceful methods to achieve their goals; sometimes there are consequences, sometimes not. We also see suspect who appear abhorrent, yet technically not guilty, or released because of some problem with the trial or investigation. " Dealing with any sexual assault, murder-case, or child abuse case is not an open and shut matter. No two cases are alike, and furthermore, more than a handful of times, the person who is usually the suspect, may have been a victim themselves, at one point or another.

Benson, and Stabler happen to be the best detective pairing so far. They play off of each other, and it's as though you're not even watching a show! Benson is sympathetic, considerate, and pro-choice, whilst Stabler is pro-life, easily-angered, and will resort to violence if necessary. These two play off of each other very well, because they have endured some type of domestic abuse at one point in its life. Benson, who was the child of a rapist has always lived with the fact that she was never wanted by her alcoholic mother, and questions what her life purpose would be, had she not chosen to be a detective. Stabler, on the other hand, is quite elusive. As viewers, we do not get a strong insight into his private life. From what we know, he has 5 children, separated/divorced on several occasions, his children have been in trouble with the law, and later on, it is to be discovered that his mother has mental issues, and his father was never proud of him, which brings him to tears once he recollects those memories ( as far as I'm concerned, he's only cried twice, during his run on the
  • Not afraid of "gray"

Besides have generally good and original writing, the thing I find most compelling about this series is that they aren't afraid to address the grey areas of the law. So many crime dramas try and paint the world black and white: the "good cops" versus the "bad In SVU, sometimes the cops use disgraceful methods to achieve their goals; sometimes there are consequences, sometimes not. We also see suspect who appear abhorrent, yet technically not guilty, or released because of some problem with the trial or investigation. There are episodes where it's not really clear who's the victim and who's the culprit. Finally, sometimes it turns out there is no crime at all!

This ability to show the "grey zone" in fighting sexual crimes is a much more interesting reflection of reality than what you might expect of a rape crime drama.

In earlier seasons the show often ended inconclusively, whereas in the last few seasons they almost always follow through to show the result of the trial. I enjoy both approaches, though I suspect the former takes more guts to write.
  • Too much

SVU used to be my favorite tv drama. In the past few weeks, I have deleted two different recorded programs after only about 15 minutes. The writers have gotten very sadistic and graphic which has no connection to the word Please get back to the tried and true format before you start to lose viewers.
  • Very Consistent

Regardless of what other people think, I think this is the most complete show on TV. It surpasses The Mentalist, Castle, Bones, Rizoli and Isles, and many other crime dramas and dramas out there. I can get why people might not like the rape or murder story lines, but tell me how many creative shows are on these days with 100 percent original storyline ideas? I would much rather watch this than NCIS LA or a corny sitcom that does not make me laugh. This show has excellent writing and storytelling that is not common on the idiot box nowadays.
  • Rapist Anonymous

Your depiction of AA in this episode made me furious. Whoever wrote this episode does not have an addiction problem nor ever attended an AA meeting. Ironically, this episode aired on my 23rd anniversary of sobriety. I am the daughter of an alcoholic, the former spouse of an alcoholic, and I am an alcoholic. The writers of this program portrayed the members of this AA group as a bunch of misfits and threw around the slogans of the AA program as if they were jokes of some kind. AA is not perfect but this self help program has helped millions of people get sober and stay sober. Entire families have been helped by the addict/ alcoholic getting help from these inspiring "rooms". Shame on you, writers for treating this organization in such a trivial way. My score is 0
  • SVU confused in Nashville

This may take a little longer than most but it's been building for a while. Frankly, by the emotions this show arouses in me it confuses me. It might be more accurate to say I have a love-hate relation with it. Sometimes I'm one of its biggest fans, while at others it just plain makes me mad. I was a relative latecomer to SVU. I had watched a few episodes of the original Law and Order in the mid-90's and stopped because I found them generally too slow-paced. So when SVU started I wasn't interested. Then, around 2008, I decided to give some of the SVU episodes being rerun on USA a try, and was instantly captivated. However, after about thirty or forty shows I found myself becoming so infuriated by the detective's techniques that I stopped watching. But I kept remembering the good stuff about the series--crisp, innovative plots, uniformly above average acting, terrific guest stars ( most of whom could act circles around the regular cast ), a tight, well-oiled ensemble, and the writers' courage not to win every case. However, after dosing myself with another twenty or thirty episodes I found myself getting upset all over again. So you could say I've enjoyed/endured an on-again, off-again relationship with SVU. By now, after a herky-jerky viewing history I've seen pretty much every episode, most several times. My problem is with Benson and Stabler and their so-called police techniques. First, whenever they're handed a case, they tear off willy-nilly bullying and arresting about every third person they meet with little attention to things like evidence or due process of law. I guess they assume that if they arrest enough people they'll eventually get the actual criminal. They take great glee (almost orgasmic pleasure) in these arrests, especially if they can cause maximum embarrassment and damage to the suspect. (I always wonder what happens to all these people who are falsely arrested and lose jobs, kids, marriages, homes and their dignity because of it. I can only think of a couple times the detectives have actually gone back and apologized to these people whose lives they've ruined because of their jack-booted gestapo-like reckless disregard for proper police procedures and long string of wrongful arrests. (come to think of it, shouldn't detectives with their high percentage of false arrests be reassigned to desk jobs?) Next, when they get the perv down to the station house, Stabler inevitably unleashes his favorite weapon on the suspect--leaning down and positioning his face about six inches from the suspect's and telling them in a detailed narrative exactly what he thinks they did. Half the time he does this by shouting. (if a cop did that to me I'd accuse him of assault for spraying his spitt all over my face!) Another technique they use regularly is to threaten all reluctant or frightened witnesses with obstruction, contempt, accessory to, or the IRS. At least twice, I remember them threatening terrified aliens with deportation just to get their way. Frequently, they act without any real regard for the potential consequences of their actions. In the episode 'Persona', Olivia's strong-arming a victim ends up getting the victim killed and then inadvertently breaking up a happily married husband and wife of 34 years!Blatant lying is another common technique. In the 2008 episode 'trials', ADA Grelek actually deliberately made a suspect in a voice lineup alter his voice to match what the witness had described! Both the detectives and usually the ADA have no respect for those above them--routinely ignoring orders to stand-down or turn over a case, contemptuously ignoring their captain, the FBI, Internal Affairs, Immigration, the CIA, Homeland Security, and the Department of Defense. (Once, they even named the Secretary of Defense Donald Rumsfeld in their elaborate little legal plot!) There are other little irritants too numerous to mention, of course, like Stabler, who must be in his forties and wearing dress shoes,, always being able to run down those suspects who take off--even the most fit and fleet-footed teenager wearing running shoes! Sometimes I think the show ought to be renamed Law and Order ATL--Above The Law! I always know it's time for a SVU vacation when I find myself starting to feel sympathy for the suspects. Anyhow, I must be the only one who feels these things, because the show has just been renewed for its 15th season. (I personally don't miss Stabler at all) Oh well, got to run, I've got to set my DVR to record the new episode Wednesday and the ten Law and Order SVU reruns this coming Sunday!
  • My good bye to Law and Order

Me and my whole family has watched law and order from day one. SVU's ending last season in my mind has tanked in a bad way. we have not watched the show since and we will never watch it again. there is enough of murder and rape on every show every night of the week. my daughter just started attending college at john jay criminal Justus in NYC. What your writers did and wrote a sick twisted script has me so disappointed with you all. Ms Benson's character has been run through the mill of mud. I think you have a sick minded writer, editor who comes up with this lower than life scripts. maybe even fantasizing a little too while thinking up the lines. placing them there, going to bed dreaming of their work. I will never watch any re-runs or new shows. I now have to turn my back to you and your show and wish I could paint you a 1,000 word picture with it. People are out there with sick minded brains with evil thoughts. Even thou no one will admit to it in the TV business, but those perverts get ideas and thoughts from watching TV. Now my wonderful daughter is in your town. Thanks a lot. Now you have a father who worries for his bright and beautiful daughter's future.

Let me just ask, do you believe in karma? It is wonderful for those who deserve the positive side and it is just as strong or stronger to those with the way you conduct your life in the negative. Whoever wrote those scripts and had a part of approving it all the way up to the point of filming. Are you proud, if you are, that is one of the seven deadly sins. You will receive the karma that is deserved. I've lead by example to my family, friends and coworkers about helping those in need no matter how small or how large, the result is the same. It is so important not to tell anyone of your good deeds. For karma will bless you and everyone in your life. Do nothing or bad things, what do you think the reward is? I hope you or anyone will not make fun of what I have written or make fun me and my comment. I served and am a 100% service connected disabled vet that earned the right of freedom of speech. Maybe someone will read this and it will change their life for the better. Mr. Wolf, you've made a lot of money and you should be happy with yourself. What price is worth inner peace. Nothing against any of the actors, this comment is only directed to the writers responsible. If the network would reassigned them or send them back to school and get some smart young kids out of college to take their place I would be happy to watch your show again. But until then, good bye. Buck M.

• BIG disappointment for fav show

Was favorite show, but with absolute ridiculous storyline of Dean/Martin fantasy this will now go in my archive folder. Sad commentary for a well acted show. NBC usually does much better.
  • Africa needs some respect

I watch Law and order SUV with passion, the program is one of the few programs i am able to create time for, at least not up to six. I watch the program today Tuesday 23rd July 2013 precisely the episode around 10:15 AM. To my surprise they said mutilation in Africa resulted to the death of most girls in Nigeria.

This is a gimmick used by organizations to extort pity and passion in the course of fundraising for projects in Africa. This is a blatant lie.

In my over 40 years in Nigeria and Africa in general I have never heard of One (1) incidence resulting from mutilation.

I am a women advocate and I did so much towards women empowerment, my final year thesis in my political science career was on women empowerment. I do not support mutilation in the area of communicable diseases. It may be rational to say that diseases could be spread through the used of unsterilized or sharp objects for mutilation. But to say that most girls die from mutilation in Nigeriayou need to pray for forgiveness.

I can go into symposium with anybody or organization on this issue.

• Law & Order: Special-Very-Ultimate

This show is incredible, the charactor of Olivia Benson is the most addicting person on the show, you just can't get enough of her or the crime plots that continue to astound after 14 years!
  • THIS SHOW IS GREAT.

I FIND THIS SHOW FANTASTIC. AND I DONT THINK THERES NO ONE MISSING.
  • Elliott

Please bring him back!
  • more shows

benson and stabler make a good team I love to watch the 911 call its just the best one ever and Iove law and order and I hope one day they make more shows
  • Season 13 and forward...

Not that I have anything against the show now, I mean I love Mariska, but it's not the same without Chris Meloni
  • this person cant act

I loved the show before this lady came to the show now it sucks
  • MORE HIGH-QUALITY ENTERTAINMENT FROM DICK WOLF AND CO

DICK WOLF CONTINUED HIS SERVICE TO THE TV VIEWING PUBLIC WITH THIS SPIN-OFF OF THE ORIGINAL 'LAW AND ORDER'. APPROXIMATELY 80% OF THE EPISODES WERE VERY ENTERTAINING. MY ONLY CRITICISM IS, SOMETIMES THE VILLIANS ARE SO EFFECTIVELY WRITTEN AND PORTRAYED, THE VIEWER FEELS CHEATED WHEN THE PLOTLINE DOESN'T ALLOW HIS OR HER JUST DESSERTS TO BE DISPLAYED.
  • no more stabler :(

Ok the only reason I'm giving this a six is cuz for me AND THIS IS MY OWN PERSONAL OPINION is becuz the show was good with benson and stabler they had good chemistry and made the show good and interesting. I will always watch re-runs season 1-12 but not so interested anymore
  • Jumped the Shark

I am a big fan of the show I own season 1 through 12. In saying that though I have to say this show should end. Most people will say it's because Christopher Meloni aka Stabler is no longer apart of the show which is a major reason why, but the show has been slowly declining for awhile now. It all started when Diane Neal left the show after that they couldn't keep any new ADAs for longer than half a season which I feel really upset the dynamics of the show it was the beginning of the end. Even when they brought back Alex it just didn't feel the same anymore, and when it finally started to feel normal again she also left again. After that it was pretty much like a bad reality show with characters dropping like flies. Then there was the infamous Stucky episode that revealed him to be some crazed killer, nothing said B grade more than that episode. But the show survived all of this and at the end of season 12 had one hell of a season finale episode. This could have been a defining moment for the show and I could really have seen a great season 13 where Stabler is trying to deal with what happened, but no instead you come back to the season only to find Stabler gone and it was done in the worst way with Stabler not even being seen he is just gone. With that among everything else it is obvious the show needs to end, to try and bow out gracefully with what little dignity it has left. I know fans don't want to hear that but it's only going to get worse and ratings will only continue to drop.
  • Crime Classic

I've loved SVU since I saw the first season, grew up with it and it's very relatable characters. The cases are things that need to be talked about more, not less. They focus on things people tend to want to not think about when they see it on the news or in the paper. I think both the cases and the characters are a big part of why the series has had such a long and successful run. Hoping it stays around for many years to come!
  • another cop show but still its better that REALITY TV which SUCKS big time!!!!!!

3.5
    since the networks and cable channels have decided to go cheap on us and make 99 percent REALITY TV shows, wrestling (on sci-fi!!) and are always cancelling great shows... i have cancelled my cable and no longer watch any tv... i download all my shows i like off the internet and have started watching alot of bbc shows from england. I'll not sit in front of the box and watch crap in the evenings after working all day. I want quality or nothing at all from the networks / cable channels. I SUGGEST WE ALL BOYCOTT THE TV for one week each month until the REALITY CRAP is taken off the air. That crap causes brain damage... it's totally unacceptable. No one is stupid enough to enjoy that crap except some inbred bigfoot half-breed. They want to produce the cheapest crap possible and still retain the ratings to get sponsors and advertising dollars. Don't give them the appearance of ratings by watching at all. Turn off you cable / sat and download... NO Commercials!!! and only watch what you want to watch when u want to watch it... been doing this for 4 years now and it's great. Only problem is, running out of shows to watch. Sci-Fi channel, now si-fi (junk now) sold out and became a cess-pool putting on fantasy and wrestling crap... was once the best channel on cable... anyways,

boycott cable / networks and download from internet...

watch ur shows without commercials or interuption...

hope the networks realize they're loosing their loyal viewers because we're NOT dumbing down and

we HATE reality TV crap...

screw u a-holes... you're idiots and you're gonna kill ur networks/channels if you keep on this way
  • What Episoe is this

What Law Order SVU ep was it where Olivia and Stabler were in the interrogation room and they were kind of playing good cop bad cop -Stabler was mad and accusing the person and Olivia comforted the person they were interrogating and told her "dont listen to him" and stabler kept on --- I think it was a plan but i cant remember what episode was it - and Olivia had bangs I know so its gotta be Season 8maybe but i dont know what episode
  • Love SVU.02

I've liked this show from the start - good acting, intresting cases, well written and so on. By season 9 though I started to get abit tired of the Benson/Stabler show, don't get me wrong - still good but it was just getting a little boring, same 'ol sorta. So when Warren Leight stepped in and with the new detectives (Amaro & Rollins) it caught my intrest again and now... I love it! I feel sad Meloni had to leave the way he did but it was his call in the end. Sad money had to speak.

Anywho. The show is great these days. I crave Finanda moments and I love that we get to see more of then entire squad. I do miss Novak and Cabot this season though (S14) even though Barba is refreshing. Hoping for many more seasons!
  • LAW AND ORDER

I love Law & Order SVU.... Please bring back Stable!
  • Pino rocks...

I think Danny Pino has fit into the role beautifully. I liked Stabler but prefer Nick Amaro even his name is cool.
  • Positively Entertaining

Last weeks' episode Manhattan Vigil was a great story plus a nice blending of a Cold Case and Law & Order Special Victims Unit. Two outstanding TV shows. Also great acting by Marisa Hagarity and of course, Danny Pino.
  • Its awesome

we miss stabler bring him back!!!!!!!!!!!!

we dont like the new guy.

We want stabler

People are going to stop watching it without stabler

It used to be a 10 but stablers gone so now its a 5
  • It's ok...

It just not the same without stabler... Miss him.. I hope fin and munch get more tv time now
  • my all time favorite tv show a perfect 10

law and order svu is a very good show i love every episode that comes on i never miss them. ice t olivia and elliott are the bomb oh who am i kidding every body plays hard ball and thats what i like thats why id like to go to college and get my criminal justice degree and in forscensic science to keep up the good work every body .......
  • love this show

i love this show this is my all time favorite iv seen every episode
< 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10