Law & Order: Special Victims Unit

Wednesday 9:00 PM on NBC Premiered Sep 20, 1999 Returning September 24th, 2014

layle1

Law & Order: Special Victims Unit Fan Reviews page 4 of 15

• My favorite show!

I only just started watching L&O: SVU during season 9, but I got hooked very fast. I decided to purchase season one...and ended up purchasing 2-7 as well. Season 10 is currently my favorite. We've seen a lot of character development so far (especially with Elliot's family in "Swing") and the guest stars have been unbelievably terrific! Ellen Burstyn is probably at the top of the list for me and I really hope she comes back. I'm really looking forward to next week's episode "Wildfire". From the preview I've seen it looks like it's going to be the best episode this season. I hope we get to see some more of Olivia's life as well, especially more of her dealing with what happened to her in "Undercover" last season. All in all, I love this show and it has quickly become my favorite.
  • Best this season so far.

I too think Olivia did a really good job giving a reality check to those girls. Im glad that she kinda got through to them so that they no longer act like being pregnant is so cool, and acting like it is a new accessory. I heard about the case earlier with the pact and couldn't believe that they actually all got pregnant, I am not sure why they did but I hope the reason was not like the one in this episode. Also I loved the Scene with Munch as a homeless man, that was truly a priceless moment.
  • This show will always capture every emotion of mine, with every second of every episode. This is the most amazing show ever created.

Law & Order: SVU is arguably one of the greatest and most real to life police shows today. Going from season one to now, with every episode in between the show just grows and grows on me. With every year that the show goes on the story lines just keep getting more intense and they can grasp many sides of humanity and society in under an hour, that is just one reason the show keeps me hooked. Another reason would be the phenomenal acting. Mariska, Chris, Ice-T, and Dan Florek, are the just some of the amazing cast that makes this show so great. Each individual actor or actress has their own uniqueness. Mariska is the caring one, Elliot is the enforcer, Munch is the comedian, Capt. Cregan is like the dad, and Ice-T is the man with the street smarts. Every laugh, tear, and anger management moment that they all have it constantly keeps me on the edge of my seat, and on the edge of my emotions. Although there are some episodes that just make you want to scream "why did they end it like that!" You can't help but come back for more. This show to me is like an addiction, I just have to have a dose every night.
  • A reality check for those who want to believe in hope just because they have so little left to hope for or think they do.

When you are thrown into the mind dumbing reality of AIDS you are left feeling as if you have been given a death sentence. At that moment you will grasp at any straw thrown your way. A mother would do anything to believe that it is not her fault that her children have such a death sentence dangling over their heads, so she accepts the quack medicine of some nut who sells snake oil and magic charms. it is sad but it is how so many make money off of despair and horror. They may actually believe their own lies and that is itself another sad statement of our time. We do so want to believe in the guilt of our government, because to accept that God would do this to us is beyond our understanding. It is easier to accept the corruption of the government, than to accept a child's death is outside our ability to stop. We have to have some control and so we point fingers, it is easier than accepting the unacceptable.
  • Great show, shows true colors of the world and needs to keep up the good work. I don't know how they do it all the time but it's well needed for ppl to see.

This show is wonderful and yet doesn't get recognized for half of what it's worth. I watch this show with my little sisters to show them what is really out there and that there are ppl out there that are willing to put their lives on the line to save them and to help them. When a Special Victims officer goes into work there is one thing on their mind and that is how can i save one person from being hurt today or ever again, I wish the world was like this but it's not and this show is not afraid to show that. People need to open thier minds and hearts and realize that shows like these will help your children not want to talk to that stranger on the bus or becareful with their info online or other things like that it helps open their minds to what is really out there and you can try to protect them all you want but the truth is that the world is waiting for them so wouldn't you want them prepared for what it holds and not shelter them too much let your kids see this show and let them know that if anybody tries to hurt them that you will do everything in your power to help them, just like these officers do everyday. Thank you for putting on a show that has saved already my sisters lives and changed them for the better.
  • Detectives in the Special Victims Unit often have to deal with the most cruel and twisted crimes!

Excellent show, twisted plots usually showing things you'll don't see in any other show, stomach revolving is some cases, thrilling and touching in many others, I could dare to say some of them are real events (I mean, in my country you could read things like that in newspapers headlines, the most shocking ones)...brilliant performances (Olivia, Elliot, Casey...and last but no less Munch! WOW!) Always getting better with every new episode, altought i have only a complain....what happened to detective Munch? I really miss him so much...Hope to see more of him in the new season! (Sorry Ice-T!)...Keep that great job Dick Wolf and all the team members!
  • Law and Order: Special Victims Unit is a good show.

Law and Order: Special Victims Unit is a good show. This series focuses on crimes against children, and rape/abuse victims. Each character is really well developed, with a great back story and emotions in relation to the crimes. The series shows a lot of the detectives' reactions to the crimes, and their interaction with their families. Each episode has its own plot, and runs to the end of the 'crime'. I do like that they show you the crime from the beginning through the detective work, and into prosecution. It doesn't always show us the verdict. A few episodes are 'ripped from the headlines' and have predictable outcomes. The actors do a great job, and the episodes are well written.
  • Amazing!

This show has had many changes of the years character wise with people joining and others leaving it has always been jam packed with excitment. i just hope that the two best characters dont ever leave. the show is not the same without benson and stabler. They have such a close working relationship it sometimes seems like they are the couple and i forget stabler is married!! lol although the episode where benson gets hit by a car with stablers wife with her was such an intense episode i loved it. glad things worked out and the baby survived. I am disappointed now tho that two of the ADA's are shortlived in the show i wonder what will happen to casey novak will she return or not? who knows
  • this show is amazing. the actors are amazing. the characters are amazing.

i love elliot and olivia.
  • An incredible glimpse into truly heinous crimes and the effect they have on the lives of those that investigate them.

Special Victims Unit provides viewers a glimpse into the lives of SVU detectives, their jobs and the effect on their personal lives, or lack of. The show is relatively true to the real detectives that investigate these crimes as the actors have spent time with their real world counterparts. The incredible actors, most notably Mariska Hargitay and Chris Meloni have an uncanny chemistry that makes the show, throw in some Richard Belzer wit and you have the perfect night in!

Now if only New Zealand would catch up to the rest of the world with Special Victims Unit, I wouldn't feel quite so left behind!
  • Oh my Detective Stabler!!! If my neighborhood Det. looked like you, I may be in trouble a lot. And Olivia...how do you NOT age?

This cast was meant to be. The chemistry is amazing. You would think after awhile, it would get boring or the episodes would start to resemble each other.....well no such worries. Mariska Hargitay is stunning and a great actress. I love her Olivia Benson facial expressions. I think one of her best performances was when she went undercover in the womens prison. It was so climactic that by the end you were screaming at the TV for her to kick some prison guard ass! Christopher Meloni is so damn sexy....how can you not watch? Wanna frisk me Elliot? And Ice-T...does he look good in a suit or what? One question...how can I be an extra on this awesome show?
  • This show follows the NYPD SVU or sex crimes unit. It follows Detectives Olivia Benson, Elliott Stabelor, John Munch, Fin Tutuola, Captain Donald Cragen, Shrink Dr. George Wong, and ADA Casey Novak. It deals with all sorts of sexually based offenses.

This is the best show on TV. The best of all of the Law and Order and has great actings, and great storylines. It is getting better every season, and I want them to continue making it. The chemistry between Benson and Stabler really helps move the show along, along with Belzer's humor, and all of the plot twists. I like the fact that while the show has an identity all its own, it kept the Law and Order title cards, and the Doing- Doing noise when changing scenes. The show rocks. Great job Dick Wolf abd all of the cast members.
  • Slipping a bit in season 9, but still an amazing show.

Let me begin by saying this is an excellent show. On of the few to hit the ground running and pump out 8 solid seasons but season 9 just isn't up to the old standard. I'm not sure if it's the transition to digital, if they have a new DofP, if it's bad direction or just the show's age starting to come through but there's something that's just not feeling the same about my favorite police-procedural. Visually (In particular the episodes Savant and Signature) are very static and overly clean. Scenes come across as being filmed on a set rather than being a looking glass into a real lived in, gritty world. At the very least the post-production process needs to be changed to dirty it up or tone it down. Story lines seem to be slipping too. The previously mentioned Signature is downright terrible. There's a tendency towards CSI type exposition that has (mostly) been kept to a minimum. Senseless technobabble slips through more this season than any other (DNA on shell casings?) and the character bits that made this show great seem to be going the way of the dinosaur. Now I'm sure people will argue that last one and I will say the mannerisms that I love are still there. Stabler is still a tightly wound ball of rage, Benson is still the empathetic idealist, chained to the job by her own circumstance. But the moments that make the characters who they are seem blown out, made BIGGER as though just having their mannerisms balls out there is enough to justify not writing them well.

All in all I love this show and I hope they start to fix what they've been doing wrong because I would hate to see SVU turn into something unremarkable.

I also dislike the bank of monitors replacing the transparent whiteboard. Of course I didn't like it when the whiteboard became transparent either.
  • The best of all 3.

Like its predecessor, many Law & Order: Special Victims Unit episodes are clear references to high-profile real-life cases (or famous fictional works), and are based on thinly-veiled dramatizations of these actual events, though the particulars and outcome may end up to be quite different.

The show is more character-driven than the typical police procedural, with a less-than-complete focus on the main case. For example, detectives Stabler and Benson each signed up to work for the Special Victims Unit for different reasons: Stabler felt a moral responsibility to protect all people from the criminals that they had to deal with, especially because he had four children of his own, and later dealing with issues involving an abusive father and anger issues that drove away his wife and children. Benson was the child of a pregnancy resulting from the alleged rape of her mother.

I also like the way scenes cut from one to the other, with no more than a double percussion punctuation. It's simple, but very original. And it saves time.

I could exhaust my stock of superlatives describing this series so I'll leave it there. If you ain't seen it; you're missing a treat. If you don't like it; join a monastery.
  • It's the best show on the earth.

I love this show. The actors/actresses play a great role in the show. I think Mariska Hargitay plays the best role, as Olivia Benson- a child of rape herself. Chris Meloni also does a great job with his charecter as he battled to get Kathy back and trying to protect his teenage daughters from anything that might happen to them. I think the show also teaches you the dangers that are in the world today. There are so many people out there who can choose to hurt you at any time. I love this show and I think it is the best show on the planet!
  • wtf is up w/ these summary's just read the review.

My favorite show EVER!!!!!!!!!! Idk why i love it so much. It is so exciting!!! You never know what is going to happen!!! well most the time. MH and CM are such great actors they are brilliant w/ what they do!! and both have wonderful chemistry!!! MH is so pretty, and CM is freaking hot!! I also love Richard is so funny on and off screen, his character is such a smart @$$ and i love that!!! Ice-T is just awesome and Fin is so harsh but not at the same time. Olivia is so kind hearted and caring!! Elliot is so stern. Casey is just well kind hearted and stern *tears up* i will miss you Casey. I also love Cragen he is like the father figure of the whole thing he watches out for all of them but doesn't go easy on they if they mess up. SO yea i just love the show and everything abt it.
  • Top five favorite shows. New crime every week, great characters and awesome plots. My favorite Law and Order Series

Best crime drama in my opinion. The show is a great show about detectives who handle special victims such as rape or child cases. Every episode is a new crime with new twists and turns and makes the audience never know what will happen next. The characters are fantastic, each with stories from there past and problems with their families and personal lives that sometimes interferes with their investigations. Also the prosecution part of the show is also very important part of the show and Diane Neal as Casey Novak does a wonderful job. The whole show is just wonderful and each episode keeps you guessing and wanting more.
  • In a criminal justice system, sexually based offenses are considered especially heinous. In New York City, the dedicated detectives who investigate these vicious felanies are members of an elite squad known as the Special Victims Unit.

This is definetly my favorite show. It teaches you the dangers that are in the world and the charecters are great! There is no way in the world I could live without this show. Mariska Hargitay plays and amazing role in this show. She is my favorite actress. Christopher Meloni also does a great job too. I would really enjoy it if the seasons never ended!! I have to buy them soon! I am looking forward to watching the new season that will be starting soon. I don't know how much longer I can go without it! It's the best show in the world.
  • One of my new favorites

So I am kinda new to Law & Order SVU, but I have been rapidly catching up. I saw one of the last episodes of season 9 (I forget the name, but Robin Williams guest-starred), and I was hooked!

Basically, SVU follows the Manhattan detectives dedicated to solving sexually-based crimes. They also often get child abuse cases because they are "more equipped to deal with those situations," according to one early episode. SVU is infamous for detectives leaving after only two years because of the nature of the cases, but Captain Don Cragen, Olivia Benson, Elliot Stabler, John Munch and Fin Tutuola are able to stick with it. Besides watching the detectives solve the cases, we also get to see some of their personal lives and how their work affects them, namely Benson and Stabler. If you're squeamish, this might not always be the show for you. NBC prefaces the especially disturbing ones with a warning of adult content, but rape does occur in nearly every episode (these are, after all, the sex police). Despite the seriousness of the crimes, however, the show is actually pretty funny. Elliot and Olivia have a lot of hilarious moments, and Munch is always entertaining. This show is very well-acted and ridiculously well-written--I highly recommend it!
  • This show rocks

Law and Order the show gets crazier with every episode. The first episode I saw and I was completely hooked. Even though no one single episode is specifically connected it can be a little rueful its just what happens in real life. There isn't always happy ending in life you know. I just don't know what else to say the show is beautifully done, well scripted absolutely great actors and even though the show is suppose to be super serious they still seem to manage to squeeze in some comedy. This show always seem to have me on the edge of my seat wanting more... I just can't wait for the new episodes.
  • OMG the best show ever!!!

SVU, wow where do I start? I think that SVU is the best show ever and will never get tired of it. I think I would clissify myself as mildly obsessed but not that bad. This show is so real and has such great acting that I can't get enough of it. It has inspired me to do so many great things, has helped me avoid bad situations and is a positive influence to anyone who watches it. I would recommend this show to as many people as I can, and I have. I don't think that it is the best show in the law and order franchise. The way that the cases are dealt with on the show is so accurate that I feel like I'm there! This is the best show ever and you should all watch it!!:)
  • Sex crimes are investigated

This is my favorite crime show. I find the other two Law and Order shows to be very boring and formulaic. SVU on the other hand is so intriguing and all the crimes and victims show such a raw and realistic viewpoint of sex crimes that it is amazing to watch. The twists that happen on this show are so shocking and painful sometimes that it keeps you on the edge of your seat. The cops on this show are also really great. Stabler and Benson are such a great pair and there chemistry brings a lot to the show. B.D. Wong is also really great to watch. Ice-T and Richard Belzer are another great team that add humor to a very dark show. These crimes are also really good in the court rooms because of the sensitive subject matter and it is great to watch it play out under the law.
  • What can I say?

This is a great show. I didn't know how they could do better than the orginial Law and Order. They did it with this show. This show provides your with turnoil between the police and the lawyers like the other one but, with a big differece the crimes in this bring out the passion and the extremes. Once the show provides you with the bad guy(s) it makes you truely hate the person within your very soul. You feel for the people involved including the officers and their family life. How Olivia was conseaved and Elliott with his wife (ex) and kids. It has the dynamics and the passions as I stated earlier. GREAT SHOW!
  • This is another Law and Order show, but it is about sex crimes. It does something other L&O shows doesn't do: it goes into the personal lives of the main characters: the detectives, Olivia and Elliot.

This show is so controversal, a lot of people say it is not right and shouldn't be on TV. It deals with the crimes that we know are out there but we don't want to face. It covers some of the worst crimes out there: sex crimes. The truth is many people are raped and sexually assulted every day and this show could help them to report it. A lot of the people that are sexually assulted don't report it and their attacker is set free to rape and do the same thing to some one else. This show is trying to put a stop to that. Check this show out it rocks!!!!!! Manda
  • This show is the most brilliant one ever made by americans.I follow each episode everday when it plays.My favorite episode is the special victims unit_night and day. Gabriel Duvall is so hot!!!I love it I love the show and I want to become a lawyer

Casy Novak: Good thing mom's ther to bail him up!

Gabriel Duvall: human behavior isn't discernable because it isn't fixed.We can never really know what a person means by how they look or what they say.Ten different people have ten different smiles.

Eleanor Duvall: Gabriel was and is a perfect son.

Jason Withacker: Look your sex life is cought up with you and you're gonna have to pay for it unless you listen to me right now.There's one way I see us beating this.But you're gonna have to go along with it all the way. Jason Withacker: Gabriel is living his life without a speedometer.How can you punish him for his actions.Actions he did not know he was commiting.
  • This is one of the all time best shows ever!! I love all of the people! The epsidoes are all really good, and it is on like every night, so I always have something to watch.

This is the best show ever!!! I love crime shows. If you are like me, you would love this show soo much. Det. Stabler, Benson, Munch, Fin, The captain, all of the D.A., Dr. Huang, and the whole cast, even the new guy, are amazing together. I love that sometimes they have little changes. I love the whole series. The show is outstanding, and I would watch it 24/7 if I could (maybe). Its on basically every night on all different channels, and i think every one should just sit down for about an hour and watch an episode, if they haven't watched it before.
  • Crime drama about the Manhattan Special Victims Unit. The detectives of SVU deal with sexual violence and crime.

SVU's unique stories and characters make it the best show of the Law and Order series. The show explores the darkness of the "special" criminals and the crimes that they commmit. It also explores how the characters battle the darkness of their job, the people they deal with, and the darkness within themselves. Liv and El, and Munch and Fin offset each other very well. Cragen is a seasoned leader and Casey is a superb ADA. The show weaves together content and characters superbly. The show never ceases to impress and surprise and always leaves you wanting more. Not to mention Casey and Olivia are just plain hot.
  • SVU = the best show on television :D

I'm trying hard to think back to the time when I didn't watch SVU. It wasn't that long ago,less than a year; yet that time is blurry, because SVU has become a part of my life. I know, I'm so sad. Thanks to this show, I now spend all my time preoccupied with talking about it, watching it, thinking about it, dreaming about it ...you get the idea.

So why is it so good? In the TV world where there are countless crime dramas, SVU is ahead of the pack for me. The cases are more confronting and though-provoking than many other shows, and instead of focusing on one thing it combines investigating, forensics, trials etc. Most of the episodes really makes you question yourself, and through the different characters they present the different points of view on any given issue.

Every one of the characters is interesting: Elliot, Olivia, Fin, Munch, Cragen, Huang, Casey...I love the less prominent characters too, like ME Warner and the technology guy (I can never remember his name!). The chemistry between Benson and Stabler (whether platonic or not) is very real and one of the best things about SVU. It's a great cast, which is probably one of the main reasons it's so successful. Overall, this is a great show. The episodes have consistently been good (despite a few slip-ups when they have strayed away from the traditional SVU formula), I recommend it to anyone*

* May cause obsession
  • Its, a crime drama that deals with Sex crimes, kidnapping, and child abuse or neglect, which singles it out from all the other shows from the series, it shows how difficult this job can be, but we all know that the awesome detectives can handle it ;)

The Best Damn Show Ever!!

there are so many bizarre twists and turns and weird sick criminals in this show that just keeps you guessing, they leave room in the show for you, yourself to be a little detective and argue with your friends on who committed the heinous crime, and what i luv about it, its always the person you least expect, leaving you on the edge of your chair, still wanting more when the credits roll, which usually drives me crazy ^_^. In addition, what makes it so great are the one thing that MAKES a show great, the actors in it, all the brillantly written personalitys that these actors protray for their characters are so layered, complicated, and havent even been revield through their full potential, they all have good chemistry, and they all get along, usually, but this tv show is so jam packed and exciting, youll be addicted in no time.
  • Law & Order SVU is my favorite of all the Law & Orders out there. It is the most exciting and intense.

Law & Order Special Victims Unit is my favorite Law & Order of all the series. It is the most interesting and intense. It also deals with victims and murders rather than crimes and trials which I like more. This is a great show and I love to watch it anytime and it is always on. Plus they always have great guest stars in the episodes. That makes the show more interesting and likable. This is the kind of show that draws your attention and keeps you hooked. I started to watch this show because my mom has watched the original Law & Order for years and she got me to watch it, but I have grown to love the Special Victims Unit very much. This is a great show and I recommend it to anyone that loves crime shows.
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10