Law & Order: Special Victims Unit

Wednesday 9:00 PM on NBC Premiered Sep 20, 1999 In Season

layle1

Law & Order: Special Victims Unit Fan Reviews page 4 of 15

• The 2nd show in the "Law & Order" franchise carries on the proud tradition of the "mothership" while throwing in some tweaks on the classic formula.

I've watched this show regularly since it debuted, and even though it's now in it's 10th season, it's still every bit as enjoyable as it was during its first. Sure, its had its ups and downs - how could it not? But the ups have far, far outweighed the bad. One big difference between SVU and the original L&O is that whereas the original show is so story driven that characters regularly come and go with little to no harm done to the show, SVU is constructed firmly around its characters. While there have been changes - most notably between the first and second seasons and over the years in the ADA's office - there's a core of characters that form the heart of the show: Olivia Benson and Eliott Stabler are the two primary characters, but Tutuola Fin, John Munch, and Captain Don Cragen (who was also the original Lieutenant on the original Law & Order) are also essential to the show. Over the years, others have joined the team, most notably Dr. Melinda Warner, the Medical Examiner and Dr. George Huang, an FBI Psychologist, as well as a series of Assistant District Attorneys beginning with Alex Cabot, then Casey Novak and most recently Kim Greyleck. The characters are clearly drawn and well played by their portrayers. There's a certain predictability to how the characters act, but in a show like this, that's a positive because it gives a firm foundation on which to build the stories. As for the stories themselves, they have all you could want from a well-tuned drama: relevance, an ability to touch you on an emotional level, thought provoking incidents and dialogue, suspense, and twists galore. If the show has any weakness its that it has a tendency to fall into the trap of casting a relatively well-known guest star (often billed as a "special guest star") and then either has them turn out to be a friend of one of our team members *or* show up in a way that makes them look like they're kind of a minor character, like the boss of a suspect they speak to for a couple minutes or a witness they interview briefly before moving on - both of which, when combined with the notability of the start, make it very obvious that they're going to play a much more important part in the story - almost always as "the bad guy." It's an unfortunate tendency because it takes away a lot of the suspense of that particular episode. Even given that flaw, the show still provides good, high-quality, intelligent entertainment while presenting us with issues that we might not otherwise have considered. It's certainly worth taking the time each week to watch!
  • It's like going back in time to the good ol' days of SVU.

Words cannot express how happy I am to see Alex Cabot back. Seeing her in the courtroom, the precinct, the judge's chambers...it's like I'm watching an episode from season 4.

Anyway, the episode was good with its twists and turns. From statutory rape to murder to lead poisoning, the writers did a pretty okay job weaving the three together. Of course, Alex Cabot and her "Specs of Justice" made the episode more fun to watch.

I wish they delved more into what happened to her after leaving WPP (hopefully they will in the next few episodes). But I liked the fact that they made Alex look like she lost some of her edge in the beginning (because it showed how much she's changed after all that has happened to her) and then bounce back in the end.

Okay, my thoughts are all a mess. That's what happiness and excitement can do to a person. Ever since Diane Neal left, I kind of lost interest (I still watched every week, though). TPTB did a good move; bringing Alex back gave me a reason to watch and reminded me of why I love this show.
  • Just plain amazing.

I started watching Special Victims Unit a couple years ago. I was just flipping through the channels, bored out of my mind, when I noticed Mariska and realized I knew her from Plain Truth, a Lifetime movie. I decided to watch...and I am so beyond happy I did! :) SVU really captures the emotions of victims and the reality of the cases. Olivia and Elliot make the best team, with Liv's empathy and Elliot's in-your-face tactics. But don't be fooled...Liv can kick some bad guy bum, too! The storylines are interesting, and the acting is great. Love this show and have recommended it to many friends! :)
  • Please keep Alex back in the SVU!

I was so glad to see Alex back!! While I am a big fan of SVU, I tend to watch more of the reruns than the current season because I do not care for the character of Kim. I would love to see Alex stay or bring back Casey!! You can definitely feel the chemistry between Alex and the detectives. The story was also great. Watching Alex and seeing the transformation from wanting to put this kid into prison for murder and ending up making sure he got the medical help he needed was wonderful. This episode got me hooked all over again!
  • that was sad!

oh my god i watched this episode on my computer in my room alone and it was so scary sad and good all at once. i screamed laughed and at the very end i was sitting on my bed with tears streaming down my face. This episode is my all timee favorite now it was just amazingly written and the acting was also great alsoo. I love this show! it is my favorite and i watch it every single day of the week. ihave seen all of the first second and third seasons as well as scattered episodes from other seasons. this episode definitely tops them all! i just really thought this was great. except for the end of course =[ i hate crying from tv shows lol.
  • This show will make you want to become a detective.

I think this is the best Law and Order they have. Law and Order is just plain boring to me. Criminal Intent is ok but i never get into it. But SVU I LOVE this show every night I watch it well except for mondays because its not on =( I love Elliot and Olvia, Munch, and Totolla i think thats how you spell it but it's a great cast. I hated when Olvia wasnt on the show for awhile and that blondie was on the show that made it boring for awhile but now it's back and better than ever =]
  • I love this show very much..in fact more than I love Criminal Minds and Prison Break!! Detectives Olivia Benson, Derek Morgan (CM) and Elliott Stabler are my all-time favorites!!

The Show has the best Plots..and is able to capture the Raw and Real emotions of the Viewers!! The Guest Stars like Robin Williams and others definitely make the show worth watching!!

The Detectives seem very intuned with the Victims that they encounter on their given assignments!!

My Favorite stories have been where Det. Stabler's daughter was diagnosed with Bipolar Disorder....and when Benson was faced with the Case of a Marine Woman who had been murdered because she was pregnant!! I really loved how she handled her interaction with the MAN who had originally been thought to be the SUSPECT Marine!!
  • Entertaining show.

Most of the time I never get bored watching this show. I find that the storylines are quite interesting and the acting is good. The writers have to be tired out by now because they seem to have recycled similar storylines and plots the last couple of seasons. If there is one thing that I dislike, it is the overadvertising of certain episodes that turn out to be very disappointing. I've recalled certain times where they hyped up an upcoming episode only for it to be just a scene and not as thrilling as the preview showed it to be. Overall, it is a decent show. Thank you.
  • Great cops vs. scumbags show.

While my heart will always belong to the original Law & Order when Jack McCoy was still EADA instead of DA, Law & Order: SVU is a strong contender for best cop show on television. And while the original is struggling to keep my attention lately, L&O:SVU has always been and remains strong with characters, plots, and interesting twists. I only wish it had more lawyer action, but I guess that's what the original is for. SVU's basically your go to for all the things that kept your mom up at night worrying that they might happen to you. And it's the only series in the L&O catalog that I've been able to get my friends, that don't already watch any L&O, interested in. This is good because, if we ever can't find anything else to watch, it's usually not to hard to find a channel showing SVU. Highly recommended if you like cop shows, less so than the original if you're into lawyers shows.
  • This is a review of the Series in general and not any particular episode.

I enjoy the entire Law and Order however the stories many of which are based on actual cases defy believabilty in the portrayal of perpetrators. In the SVU episodes dealing with the forcible rape of adult women, the offenders are overwhelmingly portrayed as Caucasians and in a few cases, an Hispanic. Any look at the crime statistics in NYC will show that the offenders in most violent crimes and especially in violent sexual assaults are generally not Caucasians. In inter-racial sexual assault the cases of White on Black rape is miniscule in comparison with Black on White assault. When there is an occasional Black suspect, he is usually found to be innocent and a White guy is ultimately brought to justice.

Obviously there is no outcry from the White community against such a blatant misrepresentation of the demographics of criminality. This misrepresentation covers the entire spectrum of crime shows including Cold Case which is set in Philadelphia.
  • this is the perfect show that u could watch the rap is a very bad crime that is a bad thing that happends in the real world and in this show i am touched by this show i think every one should watch this show if u watch it u would like it i promise u that

i love this show u could probly call me absesed i relate to this show i love mariska she is alsome and i wish i could be her i like stabler he is very hot i have all of the seasons and it is making me mad that i cant watch the next season i wish it would come out i dont know when it comes out either my faveriot episod is undercover that is so sad i can belive that the gard raped her it is sad. i relate to this because i was raped when i was 3 and it was my baby siter so ya it gives me a really good felling that they find the people there is no other show out there that is better
  • its great

This is great to watch how things are really done in a crime investigation especially in Special Victims Unit (SVU). Showing how thing are really done is very interesting although i must admit that the forensics are not seen in this and forensics are one of the major parts of an investigation and it does not seems as interesting without it. But all around i must say it is a great show, so if i ever need a fall back on this will always be on the air, and its great to see the mysteries with the children and all.

All around: Awesome, but could be better!
  • L&O: SVU is an AMAZING show! I totally love it ...

I love the bond between Elliot and Olivia, and really got into the show watching re-runs over the summer. I loved it so much that I rented the seasons so I was up to date and ready for season 10, which has been amazing! I love the conflict and issues within Elliot's family, "Swing" was such a good episode ... "Maybe God remembered how cute you were as a carrot." (soo cute!) I also think that the development with Liv's assault is awesome ... except I wish she would open up to and tell Elliot =( (but hopefully soon she will). Mariska was AMAZING in "PTSD" ... but then again when isn't she? ... Liv and that cute Military guy Dominique def. had some sexual tension? But he is in the military so don't think that would work, plus her and Elliot should be together (I think), even though it isn't all that possible for the time being. But there's always the future =)
  • Love this show!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I absolutly love this show. If they ever cancel it, I will throw my TV out the window. I really like the "ripped from the headlines" similarities to real life senarios. I'm not sure I like the new AD attorney. Munch is a riot, I loved watching him on Homicide:Life on the Street when it was on. The realtionship between Olivia & Elliott is a brother/sister but there have been times when it looked like that they could easily cross the line. Finn is the 'bad' cop attitude with a good cop underneath. Really understated show. Better than the original.
  • My favorite show!

I only just started watching L&O: SVU during season 9, but I got hooked very fast. I decided to purchase season one...and ended up purchasing 2-7 as well. Season 10 is currently my favorite. We've seen a lot of character development so far (especially with Elliot's family in "Swing") and the guest stars have been unbelievably terrific! Ellen Burstyn is probably at the top of the list for me and I really hope she comes back. I'm really looking forward to next week's episode "Wildfire". From the preview I've seen it looks like it's going to be the best episode this season. I hope we get to see some more of Olivia's life as well, especially more of her dealing with what happened to her in "Undercover" last season. All in all, I love this show and it has quickly become my favorite.
  • Best this season so far.

I too think Olivia did a really good job giving a reality check to those girls. Im glad that she kinda got through to them so that they no longer act like being pregnant is so cool, and acting like it is a new accessory. I heard about the case earlier with the pact and couldn't believe that they actually all got pregnant, I am not sure why they did but I hope the reason was not like the one in this episode. Also I loved the Scene with Munch as a homeless man, that was truly a priceless moment.
  • This show will always capture every emotion of mine, with every second of every episode. This is the most amazing show ever created.

Law & Order: SVU is arguably one of the greatest and most real to life police shows today. Going from season one to now, with every episode in between the show just grows and grows on me. With every year that the show goes on the story lines just keep getting more intense and they can grasp many sides of humanity and society in under an hour, that is just one reason the show keeps me hooked. Another reason would be the phenomenal acting. Mariska, Chris, Ice-T, and Dan Florek, are the just some of the amazing cast that makes this show so great. Each individual actor or actress has their own uniqueness. Mariska is the caring one, Elliot is the enforcer, Munch is the comedian, Capt. Cregan is like the dad, and Ice-T is the man with the street smarts. Every laugh, tear, and anger management moment that they all have it constantly keeps me on the edge of my seat, and on the edge of my emotions. Although there are some episodes that just make you want to scream "why did they end it like that!" You can't help but come back for more. This show to me is like an addiction, I just have to have a dose every night.
  • A reality check for those who want to believe in hope just because they have so little left to hope for or think they do.

When you are thrown into the mind dumbing reality of AIDS you are left feeling as if you have been given a death sentence. At that moment you will grasp at any straw thrown your way. A mother would do anything to believe that it is not her fault that her children have such a death sentence dangling over their heads, so she accepts the quack medicine of some nut who sells snake oil and magic charms. it is sad but it is how so many make money off of despair and horror. They may actually believe their own lies and that is itself another sad statement of our time. We do so want to believe in the guilt of our government, because to accept that God would do this to us is beyond our understanding. It is easier to accept the corruption of the government, than to accept a child's death is outside our ability to stop. We have to have some control and so we point fingers, it is easier than accepting the unacceptable.
  • Great show, shows true colors of the world and needs to keep up the good work. I don't know how they do it all the time but it's well needed for ppl to see.

This show is wonderful and yet doesn't get recognized for half of what it's worth. I watch this show with my little sisters to show them what is really out there and that there are ppl out there that are willing to put their lives on the line to save them and to help them. When a Special Victims officer goes into work there is one thing on their mind and that is how can i save one person from being hurt today or ever again, I wish the world was like this but it's not and this show is not afraid to show that. People need to open thier minds and hearts and realize that shows like these will help your children not want to talk to that stranger on the bus or becareful with their info online or other things like that it helps open their minds to what is really out there and you can try to protect them all you want but the truth is that the world is waiting for them so wouldn't you want them prepared for what it holds and not shelter them too much let your kids see this show and let them know that if anybody tries to hurt them that you will do everything in your power to help them, just like these officers do everyday. Thank you for putting on a show that has saved already my sisters lives and changed them for the better.
  • Detectives in the Special Victims Unit often have to deal with the most cruel and twisted crimes!

Excellent show, twisted plots usually showing things you'll don't see in any other show, stomach revolving is some cases, thrilling and touching in many others, I could dare to say some of them are real events (I mean, in my country you could read things like that in newspapers headlines, the most shocking ones)...brilliant performances (Olivia, Elliot, Casey...and last but no less Munch! WOW!) Always getting better with every new episode, altought i have only a complain....what happened to detective Munch? I really miss him so much...Hope to see more of him in the new season! (Sorry Ice-T!)...Keep that great job Dick Wolf and all the team members!
  • Law and Order: Special Victims Unit is a good show.

Law and Order: Special Victims Unit is a good show. This series focuses on crimes against children, and rape/abuse victims. Each character is really well developed, with a great back story and emotions in relation to the crimes. The series shows a lot of the detectives' reactions to the crimes, and their interaction with their families. Each episode has its own plot, and runs to the end of the 'crime'. I do like that they show you the crime from the beginning through the detective work, and into prosecution. It doesn't always show us the verdict. A few episodes are 'ripped from the headlines' and have predictable outcomes. The actors do a great job, and the episodes are well written.
  • Amazing!

This show has had many changes of the years character wise with people joining and others leaving it has always been jam packed with excitment. i just hope that the two best characters dont ever leave. the show is not the same without benson and stabler. They have such a close working relationship it sometimes seems like they are the couple and i forget stabler is married!! lol although the episode where benson gets hit by a car with stablers wife with her was such an intense episode i loved it. glad things worked out and the baby survived. I am disappointed now tho that two of the ADA's are shortlived in the show i wonder what will happen to casey novak will she return or not? who knows
  • this show is amazing. the actors are amazing. the characters are amazing.

i love elliot and olivia.
  • An incredible glimpse into truly heinous crimes and the effect they have on the lives of those that investigate them.

Special Victims Unit provides viewers a glimpse into the lives of SVU detectives, their jobs and the effect on their personal lives, or lack of. The show is relatively true to the real detectives that investigate these crimes as the actors have spent time with their real world counterparts. The incredible actors, most notably Mariska Hargitay and Chris Meloni have an uncanny chemistry that makes the show, throw in some Richard Belzer wit and you have the perfect night in!

Now if only New Zealand would catch up to the rest of the world with Special Victims Unit, I wouldn't feel quite so left behind!
  • Oh my Detective Stabler!!! If my neighborhood Det. looked like you, I may be in trouble a lot. And Olivia...how do you NOT age?

This cast was meant to be. The chemistry is amazing. You would think after awhile, it would get boring or the episodes would start to resemble each other.....well no such worries. Mariska Hargitay is stunning and a great actress. I love her Olivia Benson facial expressions. I think one of her best performances was when she went undercover in the womens prison. It was so climactic that by the end you were screaming at the TV for her to kick some prison guard ass! Christopher Meloni is so damn sexy....how can you not watch? Wanna frisk me Elliot? And Ice-T...does he look good in a suit or what? One question...how can I be an extra on this awesome show?
  • This show follows the NYPD SVU or sex crimes unit. It follows Detectives Olivia Benson, Elliott Stabelor, John Munch, Fin Tutuola, Captain Donald Cragen, Shrink Dr. George Wong, and ADA Casey Novak. It deals with all sorts of sexually based offenses.

This is the best show on TV. The best of all of the Law and Order and has great actings, and great storylines. It is getting better every season, and I want them to continue making it. The chemistry between Benson and Stabler really helps move the show along, along with Belzer's humor, and all of the plot twists. I like the fact that while the show has an identity all its own, it kept the Law and Order title cards, and the Doing- Doing noise when changing scenes. The show rocks. Great job Dick Wolf abd all of the cast members.
  • Slipping a bit in season 9, but still an amazing show.

Let me begin by saying this is an excellent show. On of the few to hit the ground running and pump out 8 solid seasons but season 9 just isn't up to the old standard. I'm not sure if it's the transition to digital, if they have a new DofP, if it's bad direction or just the show's age starting to come through but there's something that's just not feeling the same about my favorite police-procedural. Visually (In particular the episodes Savant and Signature) are very static and overly clean. Scenes come across as being filmed on a set rather than being a looking glass into a real lived in, gritty world. At the very least the post-production process needs to be changed to dirty it up or tone it down. Story lines seem to be slipping too. The previously mentioned Signature is downright terrible. There's a tendency towards CSI type exposition that has (mostly) been kept to a minimum. Senseless technobabble slips through more this season than any other (DNA on shell casings?) and the character bits that made this show great seem to be going the way of the dinosaur. Now I'm sure people will argue that last one and I will say the mannerisms that I love are still there. Stabler is still a tightly wound ball of rage, Benson is still the empathetic idealist, chained to the job by her own circumstance. But the moments that make the characters who they are seem blown out, made BIGGER as though just having their mannerisms balls out there is enough to justify not writing them well.

All in all I love this show and I hope they start to fix what they've been doing wrong because I would hate to see SVU turn into something unremarkable.

I also dislike the bank of monitors replacing the transparent whiteboard. Of course I didn't like it when the whiteboard became transparent either.
  • The best of all 3.

Like its predecessor, many Law & Order: Special Victims Unit episodes are clear references to high-profile real-life cases (or famous fictional works), and are based on thinly-veiled dramatizations of these actual events, though the particulars and outcome may end up to be quite different.

The show is more character-driven than the typical police procedural, with a less-than-complete focus on the main case. For example, detectives Stabler and Benson each signed up to work for the Special Victims Unit for different reasons: Stabler felt a moral responsibility to protect all people from the criminals that they had to deal with, especially because he had four children of his own, and later dealing with issues involving an abusive father and anger issues that drove away his wife and children. Benson was the child of a pregnancy resulting from the alleged rape of her mother.

I also like the way scenes cut from one to the other, with no more than a double percussion punctuation. It's simple, but very original. And it saves time.

I could exhaust my stock of superlatives describing this series so I'll leave it there. If you ain't seen it; you're missing a treat. If you don't like it; join a monastery.
  • It's the best show on the earth.

I love this show. The actors/actresses play a great role in the show. I think Mariska Hargitay plays the best role, as Olivia Benson- a child of rape herself. Chris Meloni also does a great job with his charecter as he battled to get Kathy back and trying to protect his teenage daughters from anything that might happen to them. I think the show also teaches you the dangers that are in the world today. There are so many people out there who can choose to hurt you at any time. I love this show and I think it is the best show on the planet!
  • wtf is up w/ these summary's just read the review.

My favorite show EVER!!!!!!!!!! Idk why i love it so much. It is so exciting!!! You never know what is going to happen!!! well most the time. MH and CM are such great actors they are brilliant w/ what they do!! and both have wonderful chemistry!!! MH is so pretty, and CM is freaking hot!! I also love Richard is so funny on and off screen, his character is such a smart @$$ and i love that!!! Ice-T is just awesome and Fin is so harsh but not at the same time. Olivia is so kind hearted and caring!! Elliot is so stern. Casey is just well kind hearted and stern *tears up* i will miss you Casey. I also love Cragen he is like the father figure of the whole thing he watches out for all of them but doesn't go easy on they if they mess up. SO yea i just love the show and everything abt it.
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10