Law & Order: Special Victims Unit

Wednesday 9:00 PM on NBC Premiered Sep 20, 1999 In Season

layle1

Law & Order: Special Victims Unit Fan Reviews page 4 of 15

• Deals with the most vile, despicable, contemptible, depraved, and wicked kind of crime imaginable. Crimes that affect our young, and our innocent. Our future. Our Children.

Law and Order Special Victims Unit

Deals with the most vile, despicable, contemptible, depraved, and wicked kind of crime imaginable. Crimes that affect our young, and our innocent. Our future. Our Children. Well, that's painting a broad brush, but an overwhelming majority deals with cases of rape, child abuse, and outright sexual depravity. There is an underlining running theme throughout the show that most SVU detectives don't last more than 5 years. And I can whole heartily agree to validity of that statement, even if it is made up. This show is brutal. It's great, but brutal. Just imagining some of the things that happen to the victims on the show brings me much pain and despair. And then I realize that these things happen every day, and I am saddened even more so. Now that I think of it, I don't know why I like this show so much, it seems like all its doing is giving me a reason to be depressed.

Putting aside my emotional trauma at enduring so many heart breaking situations, this show is fabulous. And don't laugh at me for using the word fabulous. The pacing is always right. The two lead detectives provide a great balance to each other, even though it's hard swallowing Christopher Meloni as anything but one of those psychopaths is a task. I don't know, it's just something about him that comes across as "serial killer" I just can't shake it. Markiska Hargitay is a sight for sore/stinging from crying at the tragedy you just witness/.....eyes. And even though her character can irritate some on occasion, she is pretty steady in her moral high ground righteousness that you can dislike her without trying to much. Which really free's up your time to hate other characters more actively. Richard Belzer as Det. John Munch is wicked oddball fun. And his colorful commentary is always a breath of fresh air. Speaking of fresh air, I was worried about ICE-T and how he would mesh without having half naked chicks dancing around him while spitting lyrics, but his portrayal of Det Odafin Tutuola is shockingly descent. And he brings a level of street expertise and charisma without trying too hard that really gives the cast balance. And dare I say... Soul? Ah, I said it... yeah yeah!

The subject matter is very gruesome. But someone has to deal with it, and with the cast and the said subject matter, there is very little room for giving lack luster performances. That goes for script and acting. While the show has its ups and downs, it is fairly consistent in its theme, and unrelenting crusade to put the lowest of the low away for their actions, even if the sentences seem to be a little light for a crime that ranks right up there with the worse in my opinion. If you are an Law and Order Fan, this show will give yah what you want, and a lot of uneasy moments to say "that's sick" So Hooray for the Panty Police. This show is no slouch. You will be appalled by the acts of crime, and appalled by the Law not allowing you to severely punish those criminals the way they deserve. The paradox that is American Justice.
  • Although Law & Order: Special Victims Unit carries the brand name Law & Order, the newer program has established a strong unique identity and has proven itself as a hit in its own right.

I didn't watch this series when it first aired but after someone showed me one of the episodes one day and I became hooked. I try to watch as many episodes I could catch on television. This series is just like the original Law and Order just somethings that are different. To anyone who might be interested in the series you might find it on USA network but check your local listings to make sure. I am glad this series is still airing so that I can watch the series when I can catch the episodes on television. I hope you enjoy the series those who go looking for it.
  • Love it!

Has to be my favorite show. I hope they come out with a new season soon :) The acting is great, the story line is great, all together it's just a great show. My favorite episode had to be "Closet" because the acting was amazing in that one. I suggest it to everyone who loves Law and Order. It's another amazing part in the Law and Order collection. Christopher Meloni does an amazing job at portraying Elliot Stabler. The show is believable, and not corney like some of the other police shows out there. Law and Order SVU is a must see!
  • This is my favorite show and I recommend it to every single person I meet.

This is my all time favorite show. I think the sexual tension between Elliot and Olivia is the perfect touch to add to the shows powerful cases. I hope that Chris and Mariska are coming back for season 11. They really tie together the show. Ice-t and Robert Belzer are also great at playing their parts, but most people agree when I say that the ratings will drop insanely if Chris and Mariska leave. I think that they will end up coming back, but that is just my opinion. I hope that this show will continue for many more seasons.
  • It used to be worth watching until they added Christine Lahti to the cast

My husband and I used to really enjoy watching this show. Not every character was our favorite, but they were tolerable. For instance, I thought Alexandra Cabot was way too "high & mighty" and too opinionated, but at least I didn't want to leave the room when she was onscreen. I can't say that now. The addition of Christine Lahti to the cast as ADA Sonya Paxton is a HUGE mistake. She is beyond obnoxious and grating. She's trying too hard to assert her authority and comes across as aggressive and belligerent. She thinks it's okay to browbeat witnesses and constantly points out past mistakes of the SVU team. If she continues to be a part of this cast, we won't be watching anymore. I just want to change the channel when her character is onscreen.
  • Good show, but not my favorite anymore.

This used to be my favorite show until season 8. And now I can't say it became bad, but... I think I'm kind of disappointed. I loved season 10 (except for the season finale episode) and I was with good expectations for this season 11, which is the worst EVER. Well, I can't give a bigger score because the quality has dropped but I also can't give a lower, because I still love this show and I still have hope it's gonna be like old times... Wish Munch appear more, he's one my favorite characters and he is the funniest, and I wanted good storylines, not a show based on the guest stars... Right now, I'm prefering Criminal Minds!
  • She has got to go!

Christine Lahti is just awful. I quite liked this story - it was as strong as always, and the guest starts were great, especially Scott Foley. Christine Lahti, however, is so heavy handed, ridiculous and smug. If she stays, I won't be watching, Please bring back someone from previous episodes .... anyone or perhaps someone new ....again anyone else! I have liked Christine Lahti in other things so I'm not sure if this is just a mismatch or the direction on her character. Whatever it is, it is just wrong, wrong, wrong!! Actually I have a great idea, what about Bebe Neuwirth? She could be really good!
  • wonderful

One of the best shows ever keeps getting better as each season of Law and Order: Special Victim's Unit is more intense than the next. Since 1999, Christopher Meloni and Mariska Hargitay have portrayed (respectively) Elliot Stabler and Olivia Benson beautifully and so intentally I have rated this amongst my top ten favorite shows. Also, Richard Belzer (John Munch) and Ice-T (Odafin Tutuola) portray two other favorite characters of mine on the show, but no who beats Olivia or Elliot. I hope that this show goes on for years to come, especially when I am in college (starting in September 2011, go Class of 2011!!!). In conclusion, this is a show that no one should miss! Ever!!
  • Wonderful Cast & Show

This is such an amazing show. The actors do a splendid job and the writers use articles ripped from the headlines to create a great episode. The partnership between the lead detectives, Olivia Benson and Elliot Stabler, is wonderful. Starting in 1999, 10 seasons and over 200 episodes later, this show has become a huge hit. I would recomend this show to anyone. The cast on SVU also makes the hour long episode enjoyable because all seem to work together nicely. With Season 11 coming soon, I am hoping for more great episodes to come out. I can see how SVU is the most popular spin-offs from the Law & Order "enterprise."
  • Phenomenal

The best crime show around. The acting is top notch and the story lines are always griping. I don't think I've ever seen a bad episode. Mariska Hargitay and Christopher Meloni are phenomenal together, they have such great on screen chemistry. The episodes are just so well written, one can definitely see why it's such a success. There's always such detail in the storylines and the acting elevates it even higher than possible. I try to never miss an episode. It deserves every single award it's ever gotten and more. I don't think you could get a more perfect crime show, just phenomenal in every way possible.
  • Wow the best sex crime show ever! I remember why i always watch it! I like it when the bastards getting cought 1

Wow this show has it all!

Action
    Drama
    Comedy
    You name it!

THis is a show where me and my mom bond because of all its exciting scenes and scenarios. I love watching it on all the different chanels it comes on and i wait quite inmpatiantly for the next new episode!

I cant wait for the new season to come out! "Zebras" had me holding my breath and not able to remove my eyes that were glued to the screen..... even when i had to go to the bathroom.

This show is he best out of all of the Law and Order series! To watch it is a must!
  • I remember how I got into this show....: )

I remember how I got into this show. Well not exactly, but at first whenever I saw the show starting up with the theme beginning thing with those old looking pictures i thought, "boringgg. snoozee. probably one of those very boring informational crime rape shows." But then one day, I decided to try it out.
    And woww, this is actually a good show. :)
    I enjoy watching it and what happens in the shows but some of the episodes are a snoozer, i must admit.
    but some i liked a lot.
    idontknow.
    it depends sometimes.
    but overall a good show.
    I recommend watching it! : D
  • Great team & chemistry!

I love all the chemistry this show has. I love Elliot and Olivia's relationship! They may not be together, which makes me sad, but I'd still watch it. They had a relationship like Booth and Brennan from Bones, but Elliot and Olivia don't flirt, occasionally. Every Tuesday I look forward to seeing my favorite show! I also love all the story lines. Olivia's mom being a rape victim, Elliot's father being cruel. It's all good. I was look through the episode ratings, and all the episodes I really like are all very low. So I'm like confused. do people see what I'm seeing when I watch SVU ?
  • The 2nd show in the "Law & Order" franchise carries on the proud tradition of the "mothership" while throwing in some tweaks on the classic formula.

I've watched this show regularly since it debuted, and even though it's now in it's 10th season, it's still every bit as enjoyable as it was during its first. Sure, its had its ups and downs - how could it not? But the ups have far, far outweighed the bad. One big difference between SVU and the original L&O is that whereas the original show is so story driven that characters regularly come and go with little to no harm done to the show, SVU is constructed firmly around its characters. While there have been changes - most notably between the first and second seasons and over the years in the ADA's office - there's a core of characters that form the heart of the show: Olivia Benson and Eliott Stabler are the two primary characters, but Tutuola Fin, John Munch, and Captain Don Cragen (who was also the original Lieutenant on the original Law & Order) are also essential to the show. Over the years, others have joined the team, most notably Dr. Melinda Warner, the Medical Examiner and Dr. George Huang, an FBI Psychologist, as well as a series of Assistant District Attorneys beginning with Alex Cabot, then Casey Novak and most recently Kim Greyleck. The characters are clearly drawn and well played by their portrayers. There's a certain predictability to how the characters act, but in a show like this, that's a positive because it gives a firm foundation on which to build the stories. As for the stories themselves, they have all you could want from a well-tuned drama: relevance, an ability to touch you on an emotional level, thought provoking incidents and dialogue, suspense, and twists galore. If the show has any weakness its that it has a tendency to fall into the trap of casting a relatively well-known guest star (often billed as a "special guest star") and then either has them turn out to be a friend of one of our team members *or* show up in a way that makes them look like they're kind of a minor character, like the boss of a suspect they speak to for a couple minutes or a witness they interview briefly before moving on - both of which, when combined with the notability of the start, make it very obvious that they're going to play a much more important part in the story - almost always as "the bad guy." It's an unfortunate tendency because it takes away a lot of the suspense of that particular episode. Even given that flaw, the show still provides good, high-quality, intelligent entertainment while presenting us with issues that we might not otherwise have considered. It's certainly worth taking the time each week to watch!
  • It's like going back in time to the good ol' days of SVU.

Words cannot express how happy I am to see Alex Cabot back. Seeing her in the courtroom, the precinct, the judge's chambers...it's like I'm watching an episode from season 4.

Anyway, the episode was good with its twists and turns. From statutory rape to murder to lead poisoning, the writers did a pretty okay job weaving the three together. Of course, Alex Cabot and her "Specs of Justice" made the episode more fun to watch.

I wish they delved more into what happened to her after leaving WPP (hopefully they will in the next few episodes). But I liked the fact that they made Alex look like she lost some of her edge in the beginning (because it showed how much she's changed after all that has happened to her) and then bounce back in the end.

Okay, my thoughts are all a mess. That's what happiness and excitement can do to a person. Ever since Diane Neal left, I kind of lost interest (I still watched every week, though). TPTB did a good move; bringing Alex back gave me a reason to watch and reminded me of why I love this show.
  • Just plain amazing.

I started watching Special Victims Unit a couple years ago. I was just flipping through the channels, bored out of my mind, when I noticed Mariska and realized I knew her from Plain Truth, a Lifetime movie. I decided to watch...and I am so beyond happy I did! :) SVU really captures the emotions of victims and the reality of the cases. Olivia and Elliot make the best team, with Liv's empathy and Elliot's in-your-face tactics. But don't be fooled...Liv can kick some bad guy bum, too! The storylines are interesting, and the acting is great. Love this show and have recommended it to many friends! :)
  • Please keep Alex back in the SVU!

I was so glad to see Alex back!! While I am a big fan of SVU, I tend to watch more of the reruns than the current season because I do not care for the character of Kim. I would love to see Alex stay or bring back Casey!! You can definitely feel the chemistry between Alex and the detectives. The story was also great. Watching Alex and seeing the transformation from wanting to put this kid into prison for murder and ending up making sure he got the medical help he needed was wonderful. This episode got me hooked all over again!
  • that was sad!

oh my god i watched this episode on my computer in my room alone and it was so scary sad and good all at once. i screamed laughed and at the very end i was sitting on my bed with tears streaming down my face. This episode is my all timee favorite now it was just amazingly written and the acting was also great alsoo. I love this show! it is my favorite and i watch it every single day of the week. ihave seen all of the first second and third seasons as well as scattered episodes from other seasons. this episode definitely tops them all! i just really thought this was great. except for the end of course =[ i hate crying from tv shows lol.
  • This show will make you want to become a detective.

I think this is the best Law and Order they have. Law and Order is just plain boring to me. Criminal Intent is ok but i never get into it. But SVU I LOVE this show every night I watch it well except for mondays because its not on =( I love Elliot and Olvia, Munch, and Totolla i think thats how you spell it but it's a great cast. I hated when Olvia wasnt on the show for awhile and that blondie was on the show that made it boring for awhile but now it's back and better than ever =]
  • I love this show very much..in fact more than I love Criminal Minds and Prison Break!! Detectives Olivia Benson, Derek Morgan (CM) and Elliott Stabler are my all-time favorites!!

The Show has the best Plots..and is able to capture the Raw and Real emotions of the Viewers!! The Guest Stars like Robin Williams and others definitely make the show worth watching!!

The Detectives seem very intuned with the Victims that they encounter on their given assignments!!

My Favorite stories have been where Det. Stabler's daughter was diagnosed with Bipolar Disorder....and when Benson was faced with the Case of a Marine Woman who had been murdered because she was pregnant!! I really loved how she handled her interaction with the MAN who had originally been thought to be the SUSPECT Marine!!
  • Entertaining show.

Most of the time I never get bored watching this show. I find that the storylines are quite interesting and the acting is good. The writers have to be tired out by now because they seem to have recycled similar storylines and plots the last couple of seasons. If there is one thing that I dislike, it is the overadvertising of certain episodes that turn out to be very disappointing. I've recalled certain times where they hyped up an upcoming episode only for it to be just a scene and not as thrilling as the preview showed it to be. Overall, it is a decent show. Thank you.
  • Great cops vs. scumbags show.

While my heart will always belong to the original Law & Order when Jack McCoy was still EADA instead of DA, Law & Order: SVU is a strong contender for best cop show on television. And while the original is struggling to keep my attention lately, L&O:SVU has always been and remains strong with characters, plots, and interesting twists. I only wish it had more lawyer action, but I guess that's what the original is for. SVU's basically your go to for all the things that kept your mom up at night worrying that they might happen to you. And it's the only series in the L&O catalog that I've been able to get my friends, that don't already watch any L&O, interested in. This is good because, if we ever can't find anything else to watch, it's usually not to hard to find a channel showing SVU. Highly recommended if you like cop shows, less so than the original if you're into lawyers shows.
  • This is a review of the Series in general and not any particular episode.

I enjoy the entire Law and Order however the stories many of which are based on actual cases defy believabilty in the portrayal of perpetrators. In the SVU episodes dealing with the forcible rape of adult women, the offenders are overwhelmingly portrayed as Caucasians and in a few cases, an Hispanic. Any look at the crime statistics in NYC will show that the offenders in most violent crimes and especially in violent sexual assaults are generally not Caucasians. In inter-racial sexual assault the cases of White on Black rape is miniscule in comparison with Black on White assault. When there is an occasional Black suspect, he is usually found to be innocent and a White guy is ultimately brought to justice.

Obviously there is no outcry from the White community against such a blatant misrepresentation of the demographics of criminality. This misrepresentation covers the entire spectrum of crime shows including Cold Case which is set in Philadelphia.
  • this is the perfect show that u could watch the rap is a very bad crime that is a bad thing that happends in the real world and in this show i am touched by this show i think every one should watch this show if u watch it u would like it i promise u that

i love this show u could probly call me absesed i relate to this show i love mariska she is alsome and i wish i could be her i like stabler he is very hot i have all of the seasons and it is making me mad that i cant watch the next season i wish it would come out i dont know when it comes out either my faveriot episod is undercover that is so sad i can belive that the gard raped her it is sad. i relate to this because i was raped when i was 3 and it was my baby siter so ya it gives me a really good felling that they find the people there is no other show out there that is better
  • its great

This is great to watch how things are really done in a crime investigation especially in Special Victims Unit (SVU). Showing how thing are really done is very interesting although i must admit that the forensics are not seen in this and forensics are one of the major parts of an investigation and it does not seems as interesting without it. But all around i must say it is a great show, so if i ever need a fall back on this will always be on the air, and its great to see the mysteries with the children and all.

All around: Awesome, but could be better!
  • L&O: SVU is an AMAZING show! I totally love it ...

I love the bond between Elliot and Olivia, and really got into the show watching re-runs over the summer. I loved it so much that I rented the seasons so I was up to date and ready for season 10, which has been amazing! I love the conflict and issues within Elliot's family, "Swing" was such a good episode ... "Maybe God remembered how cute you were as a carrot." (soo cute!) I also think that the development with Liv's assault is awesome ... except I wish she would open up to and tell Elliot =( (but hopefully soon she will). Mariska was AMAZING in "PTSD" ... but then again when isn't she? ... Liv and that cute Military guy Dominique def. had some sexual tension? But he is in the military so don't think that would work, plus her and Elliot should be together (I think), even though it isn't all that possible for the time being. But there's always the future =)
  • Love this show!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I absolutly love this show. If they ever cancel it, I will throw my TV out the window. I really like the "ripped from the headlines" similarities to real life senarios. I'm not sure I like the new AD attorney. Munch is a riot, I loved watching him on Homicide:Life on the Street when it was on. The realtionship between Olivia & Elliott is a brother/sister but there have been times when it looked like that they could easily cross the line. Finn is the 'bad' cop attitude with a good cop underneath. Really understated show. Better than the original.
  • My favorite show!

I only just started watching L&O: SVU during season 9, but I got hooked very fast. I decided to purchase season one...and ended up purchasing 2-7 as well. Season 10 is currently my favorite. We've seen a lot of character development so far (especially with Elliot's family in "Swing") and the guest stars have been unbelievably terrific! Ellen Burstyn is probably at the top of the list for me and I really hope she comes back. I'm really looking forward to next week's episode "Wildfire". From the preview I've seen it looks like it's going to be the best episode this season. I hope we get to see some more of Olivia's life as well, especially more of her dealing with what happened to her in "Undercover" last season. All in all, I love this show and it has quickly become my favorite.
  • Best this season so far.

I too think Olivia did a really good job giving a reality check to those girls. Im glad that she kinda got through to them so that they no longer act like being pregnant is so cool, and acting like it is a new accessory. I heard about the case earlier with the pact and couldn't believe that they actually all got pregnant, I am not sure why they did but I hope the reason was not like the one in this episode. Also I loved the Scene with Munch as a homeless man, that was truly a priceless moment.
  • This show will always capture every emotion of mine, with every second of every episode. This is the most amazing show ever created.

Law & Order: SVU is arguably one of the greatest and most real to life police shows today. Going from season one to now, with every episode in between the show just grows and grows on me. With every year that the show goes on the story lines just keep getting more intense and they can grasp many sides of humanity and society in under an hour, that is just one reason the show keeps me hooked. Another reason would be the phenomenal acting. Mariska, Chris, Ice-T, and Dan Florek, are the just some of the amazing cast that makes this show so great. Each individual actor or actress has their own uniqueness. Mariska is the caring one, Elliot is the enforcer, Munch is the comedian, Capt. Cregan is like the dad, and Ice-T is the man with the street smarts. Every laugh, tear, and anger management moment that they all have it constantly keeps me on the edge of my seat, and on the edge of my emotions. Although there are some episodes that just make you want to scream "why did they end it like that!" You can't help but come back for more. This show to me is like an addiction, I just have to have a dose every night.
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10