Law & Order: Special Victims Unit

Trials

Aired Wednesday 9:00 PM Sep 23, 2008 on NBC

• Angry little boy claims his foster parents are abusing him...

...but he just wanted to be with his real mom!

Yeah, he was a real pain, but I actually felt bad for him, he was just as traumatized as his real mom.

Though it wasn't a brilliant plot, it got me hooked till the end, made me go back to the 6th season all over again. I liked the way it twisted, I was pleased to see that they still have the hand of the "entertaining us" art... ;)

Anyway, the average-made episode was totally supressed by Mariska's awesome work. She looked so tense, so shaken up, that I ended up with a whiplash myself! The way she kept trying to focus on work, the altered breathing, it was heartbreaking to see det. Benson - always the one to save everyone - so broken. The final scene with the therapist (made me cry!), the flashback at the coffee machine, the way she almost cried when she told Stabler about the last victim's suicide...

I liked the way Stabler softened like 100% to tend to her right after he almost ripped his daughter's head off in the corridor... he's becoming a very flexible guy, alright!

And Munch complaining about how everyone leaves him behind... well, he keeps up with that and he may just convince Fin to stand by him forever! xD

In my opinion, this episode was kind of a introduction for what's to come: Olivia's trauma and Stabler's household issues are going to rise, huh? Either this, or we can expect everything to just dissappear like we've (not) seen before.
  • New ADA!

This episode introduces us to a new a new ADA, MacManus. She's firm and looks like she'll be a thorn...perhaps.

The episode unfolds with a rapist on the loose, sort of. Luke Perry is the major guest star and he plays perfectly the bad guy, who seems like a good guy.

The episode is formulaic and you know where it's going, who the rapist is and why, but they string you along well enough. Ice T is still with the show if anyone was worried and Belzar is along for the ride. He may actually get some screen time this year.

QUite frankly it was a good show, what I expected.
  • We have a new ADA

In this episode of Law & Order: Special Victims Unit, the following happens. We are introduced to a new ADA. We deal with a 7 year old who stole a van; because he said he had to escape because his foster parents were abusing him. When Olivia and Elliott go to interview him, they find him hiding under the bed in the hospital. When the foster parents are called in, they claim that they have never done anything to the child. We soon learn that the father wants to adopt Christopher but the mother wants to give him back, as he has too many problems. We soon learn from the boy that he was taken to a hotel by his mother and being told to take off all of his clothes and then his mother is given money. We learn that Finn requested a transfer over 3 months ago and is still waiting for it to come through. They go to the hotel, where they learn that clinical trials are being run out of the hotel. We learn that is part of a trail. We soon learn that the foster father knew nothing about the trail. He realised back into the custody of his foster parents, but not before Olivia hands him her card. We learn that the mother birth mother was a rape victim and Olivia worked the case. She goes to visit the victim and asks her why she gave up her son. We soon learn that Christopher was there when his mother was raped. It matches a pattern rapist. The team are soon led to believe that the rapist is actually Christopher's foster father. He claims he is innocent and so they do a voice test stand up, to see if any of the victims can recognize his voice. Out of the three victims only one of them picks the rapist, Noah. The team try to track down the fourth victim. When his birth mother realises that her son is being raised by her rapist, she declares that she wants him back. We soon learn that the people who have stolen Elliott's credit card was his daughter, Kathleen. He flips when he finds out. Olivia learns that the 4th victim killed herself last year. When the DNA from Noah is run, they learn that it was in fact him he raped his wife before they go together. She didn't even know it was him. She married her own rapist. At the end of the episode we see Olivia with a therapist, talking about when she went undercover and was almost raped. She admits that she's jumpy and she can't sleep.
  • A 7-year-old crashes a van in the opening scenes of "Trials". SVU are called in to figure out if the boy was trying to escape issues at home. Just as B&S decide that the boy's only is ADD, he discloses that his foster parents have been abusing him....

I actually quite liked this episode! It had just the right amount of twists and turns to keep the viewer interested, (the ending, especially, was very unexpected!). The actor who played the 7 year old abuse victim was extremely good - I (like Benson and Staebler) also wanted to throttle him at the start of the episode, but really felt sorry for him by the end. I also liked the scene in the beginning, where B&S's patience with the boy was clearly wearing thin, showing that even they can't be nice, caring and sypathetic to children ALL the time! xx
  • A 7-year-old crashes a van in the opening scenes of "Trials". SVU are called in to figure out if the boy was trying to escape issues at home. Just as B&S decide that the boy's only issue is ADD, he discloses that his foster parents have been abusing him.

I absolutely hated this episode. They left everything unresolved with Novak last season and then just bring in this new ADA without ever finishing that story line? You have to finish one before you start a new one. Also randomly dealing with Undercover? A good idea... for a couple of episodes ago. RANDOM. And why are they making Elliot act like a jerk? He's definitely not like that. I highly dislike the new ADA as well. While I was a Novak fan I am completely open for new ADAs, but I don't like this one. I just hate, as I said, how they're just starting over and not resolving issues left over from the season finale. Hhated this episode. (And if you disagree as it seems many do, then we can agree to disagree)
  • mediocre as the last 3 seasons were...

I am trying to understand what is wrong with this show since season 7. IMHO it's the whole "new" direction of SVU: from the moment the main characters became the stars and "took over", the show has been going downhill. I mean the great cast was a big asset for the series but the real star were the stories, the intelligent scripts, the teamwork, the balance, the upsets.

For the last 3 seasons the writers have been trying so hard to give Emmy material to Mariska and Christopher and at the end they just managed to ruin the great chemistry that this show once had. And in a weird way I think the actors play worse than before, I guess with a bad script how can you get inspired and act good?

This episode is a fine example of SVU's dull recent history.
    A story without any high points or real interest, but there is always some space for the stars to try and shine and win their Emmy moments: after 2-3 episodes the "almost rape" incident came back to haunt Olivia and give Mariska some personal dramatic outburst. But I am afraid there are not Emmy worthy moments anymore my dear Mariska, its too obvious, it' so forced that even you a great actress can't make it work well.
    You might win another nomination but this is not the show it used to be.
    L & O SVU more than anything needs some humility. Or maybe a closure.
  • Ten years of SVU!

The tenth anniversary of SVU starts off great and Mariska always delivers. Love Christopher and the supporting cast. But Mariska really is the soul of SVU. She cares and that her character shows a lot of empathy for the victims. Usually cops don't take the time to care for the victims. But Detective Benson could teach them a thing or two. Don't think that Fin has gotten over what happened last year when the Adam Beach character left on bad terms. The new ADA is good but got to give her a chance. Remember how we didn't like Casey at first but then got to love her.
  • Never really seen the show, but this episode got me hooked!

Of course I've seen episodes here and there on one of the 1,000 channels repeats air on, but I never really got into the show so I thought I'd give it a try, especially since Mariska seems like a great actress. So, I was quite impressed. I really don't like the weird guy with the glasses, or Ice-T, but the rest of the characters seem pretty cool. The main partnership between the leads seems quite interesting, with a lot of history.

The story of the week was good, and had a lot of twists to keep it from getting boring halfway through the episode. The crazy little boy ended up not being nearly as annoying as I first thought I was, and his semi-reunion with his mom was a nice touch. I think what makes the show great to me is how Mariska's character really cares for the victims. It shows a lot of character, which makes the show more than just a boring procedural. I'll definitely be back next week.
  • Mariska Hargitay Rocks the Screen

things I hated: New ADA, she's a joke bring back alex or Casey. Stabler being an ass needs therapy. John Much moanbag needs a life
    Things I liked : mariska hargitay's work
    Loved reference to Undercover bout time they dealt with what happened to liv in that episode was so annoyed they didnt deal with it during season 9 the experience she had would have stayed with her and well its better late than never dealing with what she went through makes it more realistic. though i suspect in reality an officer underoging such an experience would probably have requested a transfer or been transferred. mariska hargitay should have won her emmy the other night its a sin she didnt this lady puts the A into acting she is spectacular
  • Present meets past...

True to form, except for Tutuolas requested transfer which we now know is not going to happen (and why) no reference was made to last season's final episode. Oh well. This episode, with it's twists and turns made up for it. Disturbed 7 year old boy steals van to get away from his adopted parents. Turns out his real mother was one of Olivia's past rape cases. All of this stirs up Olivia's memories of the undercover prison job she did last year. Eliot, amid all this, is trying to get his credit fixed, no thanks to someone using his card. Surprise, surprise when he finds out who.
  • Wow

This was intense season premiere, by the end I was in tears. I've never seen this side of Sara Gilbert before, but by the end, it was nice that she wanted to straigten herself out so she could get her little boy back. Stablers intense reactions throughout this one with his daughter stealing his credit card, you know we haven't seen the conclusion of that. My heart went out to Olivia because her attempted rape is really starting to take its toll on her. At the end when she was talking with the therapist I started to cry, I really love her character. Fin just seemed over all ticked off at a lot of things and not just Stabler and Munch seemed to be continually whiny in this episode and going on and on about that bar.