Law & Order

Boy On Fire

Aired Monday 10:00 PM Mar 01, 2010 on NBC

• Good plot line but a lot of missed opportunities.

I definitely enjoyed this episode- it was mysterious-even though the DA's office was fairly certain of who was responsible, it was also a constant question- which I feel is reflective of real life- seemingly good people can do atrocious things. My gripe with 'Boy on Fire' was that they missed out on so many opportunities to humanize the characters- especially the 'bad guys'- because in this episode, they were basically misguided kids and the crime was monstrous- so it begs the question, 'how did they get to the point where they burned another kid'. The following details would have made this a perfect 10: 1) They needed a scene where Able (the young boy's brother) expresses hatred for the private school kids, says 'they aren't like us', gives evidence of an inferiority complex over how he's been treated, and says he wasn't going to let his brother become one of 'them.' (this is one instance where the writers should have shown the motive (prejudice) in action, not just told us it.)

2) They needed a scene where they tell the principal that while she was busy teaching her students pride for their school- she was also teaching them prejudice and hatred for the children at other schools. ( I can't believe they never made mention of the move 'Lean on Me' in this ep.)

3) Finally, they needed a scene where the girl who watched as her friend's murder (and was later raped to silence her), shed her tough exterior and broke down about the whole thing. Even if she wasn't the victim's girlfriend, she could have sobbed about how 'he didn't understand that we come from two difference places, and we couldn't be seen together, never mind be together. that he was sweet but stupid (for thinking he could be with her).' I think with those additional dramatic flourishes would have taken it to a deeper level and made this one truly unforgettable.
WGNAMER