Law & Order

Burn Baby Burn

Aired Monday 10:00 PM Nov 22, 2000 on NBC

• The cop killer evades the justice. The 60's revived.

I appreciate the Law and Order approach to cop killings and shooting at all: very rare are the episodes when a cop is shot or shoots, which underlines the actual statistics: some of the officers never shoot from their service gun during the whole line of duty. That is why this episode was special, and dramatic too, as soon as a cop is shot, everything is scrutinized by One Police Plaza and Lt. under constant pressure - but here the suspect happens to be a former Black Panther and with his arrest the old passions come back to life. It was a difficult trial, no one couldn't tell what kind of officer the victim really was, what actually happened in front of the door of the defendant's apartment, one moment I sympathized with the shooter, the Jack's final speech convinced me, nonetheless. And I expected the same from the jury: the guilty verdict, the bigger was then the surprise. An excellent episode, perfect acting, interesting plot and surprise at the end.
  • Another solid and captivating episode with connections to the 1960s, always a satisfying topic when tackled by the writers of Law & Order.

Burn, Baby Burn! grabbed my interest the week before its original screening just because of its title. As a product of So Cal I recall fondly listening to my favorite radio station KGFJ 1230AM, Los Angeles one of the now gone classic Black music radio outlets in the 1960s with a team of intriguing on air personalities led by the legendary Magnificent Montague whose catch phrase was "burn, baby burn", a phrase he would use when a preferred song of his was played. After the Watts Rebelion of August 22nd, 1965, Montague was banned from using his trademark saying.

This is a powerful episode, especially for those of us who lived the mid-to-late 1960s, as a teen or young adult. I found it to be provocative and Clarence Williams III was outstanding, his scenes on the stand holding up under the barrage dealt out by McCoy was flawless. I also enjoyed the chemistry between Briscoe and Green in the scenes leading up to the arrest of William's character, Latiff Miller.
    There was a blunder by the writers that was revealed when defense attorney Leon Chiles portrayed by Joe Morton argued for his client's "leery of police frame of mind" by citing previous actual police brutality incidents including the murder of Fred Hampton(a Black Panther) in Oakland, close but no cigar, the assassination of Fred Hampton & others (while they were sleeping) took place in the Windy City and was conducted by the Chicago Police. Despite the error of location for the Hampton murder by police, this was a most enjoyable episode I don't get tired of seeing as often as it is rerun

Jon Jax